Poll: Best Valve game?

EzraPound

Jan 26, 2008
So we all know Valve are great. But what's the greatest game they've developed thus far, in your opinion?

I go with Portal 2--while the Half-Life series has always been great, I never felt like it exceeded the likes of Deus Ex or GoldenEye. Portal 2, by contrast, is definitely in that league, since even if the single-player is a bit flat compared to its predecessor, the co-op is downright transcendental (and it's no coincidence that marketing materials for the game focused on this mode). Anyone remember Course 3, Chamber 8? At its most challenging, Portal 2 forced you to entirely break down the way the way you were thinking and systematically reevaluate it--if you're as fallible a gamer as I am, that is (though given the preponderance of exaggerated reports of gamers completing it in two hours, this may not be the case for most). In sum total, after finishing Portal 2, it seemed obvious to me it was on at least a long list of the best games ever made.

Beyond Portal 2, and the original Portal, I would opt for the first Half-Life as Valve's third-best outing. It has stellar production values for its time--modified Q1 engine, anyone?-- and the game's challenge often derives from a setup no more gimmicky than facing off against excellent AI. That's a big compliment.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Half-Life.
Everything else was sub-par to average, where Half-Life was at least above average at its release.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
HL2 - sure it's less clever than Portal and the enemies arent as challenging as in HL1, but it really immersed me the world. You are treated intelligently and aren't railroaded and TOLD WHAT TO DO - even though it's linear you have to work it all out yourself. It has a great atmosphere, and loads of varying styles of gameplay - vehicle sections, zombie section, massive uprising, prison attack. The characters are 3 dimensional, and it still holds up as a great experience nowadays, 7 years after it's release.

Aside from that HL1 was great, Portal was fun, and L4D was actually a stroke of genius. Great multiplayer game.

Dyme

Nov 18, 2009
Half Life.

Story, gameplay everything was so incredibly hot at the time. I didn't have as much fun with all the other (good) Valve games combined. But for me Counterstrike belongs to Half Life. Because it was just a mod.

Spoon E11

Oct 27, 2010
Just playing CS:GO beta and while I haven't played many valve games (L4D, portal 1 &2 and CS:S) I can safely say CS:GO is better than those but. I haven't played HL.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
TF2, mainly for the absolute fun value it brings. Half Life is an AMAZING game to play through once, but if you want to have fun with friends then TF2 delivers in all fronts. It is my most played game on steam, and it is the most balanced multiplayer shooted I have ever played. I know it has got a bit bogged down with hats and all that, but if you dont want to use hats then nothing is taken away from your enjoyment.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
TF2, not really a fan of half life, I spend most of my time ruining around trying to figure out where the Hell I'm supposed to go.

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
I can't decide between Portal, Team Fortress 2, and Left 4 Dead (haven't played original half-life yet)

Puddleknock

Sep 14, 2011
Portal for me. I frequently mention how much I love this game on this site say may have to hold back for once as I don't want to repeat myself over and over.

What I do want to say is that I was late playing both HL and HL2 and as such they had a limited impact on me, they were good sure but I don't see why they are held in such a high regard. I simply fail to see what extra quality they have, I actually enjoyed Halo more and thats a console shooter. Though it may be due to the fact that I don't really play shooters and as such I don't have any real knowledge to draw from, I guess I simply don't get HL.

Trololo Punk

May 14, 2011
I really do love the Half Life series. But I think I'll go with Team Fortress 2. So many countless hours played on that game.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Since each Valve game is an improvement from the previous one, I'd have to say that Portal 2 is their best work, since it is a culmination of over ten years of innovation.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Had to put Left 4 Dead as I haven't played any of the others. That being said I really enjoyed it.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Of those, I have played Half-Life 2, Portal, and TF2. The first was good, the last two were awesome, but I think Portal is slightly more awesome. It actually uses its minimalist storytelling style intelligently, to create something really compelling and interesting, and the puzzles are really quite fun to work out.

Amgeo

Apr 14, 2011
Really tough one. My instinct is to say Portal, because I am a sheep to Yahtzee's Shepard and Portal is the Shepard's pie. But thinking it over, I'd say Half-Life 2. I just bought it off Steam this past summer, and I've been replaying it ever so often since then. Part of me wishes that it had commentary like Portal and the episodes, just so that I could have another excuse to play it.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
The original Half life for me, so many good memories, tanks, lasers, giant tentacle monster, giant head crab, and so much more.

Shirastro

Sep 1, 2010
I gotta say HL1 cause it's the only FPS that i really liked. Well i liked HL2 as well but HL1 is still better.
It showed me that FPS don't have to boring.

LITE992

Jun 18, 2011
L4D series, as I enjoy team-based combat. TF2 is a close second, though each one is great in their own way.