Poll: Best Valve game?

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
gmaverick019 said:
tf2 and probably portal 2

tf2 for its amount of fun it constantly brings and portal 2 for it's quirky humor and not trying to do more than what it can handle, in that it is a really solid game.
i bought it on steam, and love it. its just too bad the damn thing keeps freezing up on me.

i'd buy the source version, but i'm poor and buying the same game twice would probably make me start cutting.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
T-T-T-T-TEAM FORTRESS TWOOOOO!

No but seriously, it's got replay value, which portal doesn't, and HL2 doesn't.

dratyan

Aug 13, 2011
Every game listed on the poll is great, but my favorite would have to be Half-Life 2. It made an avid Steam user and Valve's fan.

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
Half-Life 1 achieved everything the 2nd chapter had to repeat, only for the first time and with a far more contained story and identity (= everyone has the concept of black mesa in their head, not so much for the sprawling City 17 neighbourhoods).

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
Spoon E11 said:
Just playing CS:GO beta and while I haven't played many valve games (L4D, portal 1 &2 and CS:S) I can safely say CS:GO is better than those but. I haven't played HL.
You've played the beta? TELL ME ABOUT IT!

OT: Counterstrike, I've sunk so much time into that and CSS.

SarcasmoPope

Dec 22, 2010
Half Life 2. It had a great storyline and didn't feel linear even though it was.
I liked TF2 until they started fucking with it though. The gameplay, like the graphics, was simplistic but then all the new weapons started becoming available and I was just like wtf.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
tbh by going with how much fun I've had with it and replayability, I'll have to say L4D2. Nothig is better than seeing a friend haplessly stumble right into a witch without noticing.

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Left for Dead was so innovative, and I feel no one gives it the credit it deserves. Maybe because everyone is sick of zombie games, but L4D is THE perennial multiplayer zombie game imo.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Team. Fucking. Fortress. God damn. Two.

As much as I loved Portal and Half Life games (and I own both of L4D games too), I haven't played any of them as much as TF2.

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
Team Fortress 2 I have never really seen the appeal of; the gameplay, specifically the gunplay, isn't really all that good, with classes that many other games had already used first.
Half Life (as a series) is absolutely fantastic, as was the original Portal, however the place I think Valve really, REALLY shines is in Cooperative gameplay:

For me its a tie between Portal 2 and Left 4 Dead for the incredible capacity for teamwork and strategy as well as absorbing worlds, interesting characters and above all, fantastic gameplay. Its hard to choose between the two, but just solely on which one I have plugged more hours into, Left 4 Dead is my choice. Absolutely superb game with excellent replay value.

Spitfire

Dec 27, 2008
That's a tough one.

I find that as time goes by, I like the Half-Life series less and less, although I do still think that Half-Life 2 is one of the most fun games ever made, and it still amazes me how intuitive the game is.

Counterstrike was not actually developed by Valve, so that one is off the list.

Portal is an interesting little game, full of memorable moments, but I don't think that it's the second coming of Christ, or even the best Valve game, for that matter.

The honor goes to Team Fortress 2. Great stylistic design, perfect gameplay, and some of the most amusing and memorable cast of characters in the history of videogames - all that in an online FPS.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
EzraPound said:
So we all know Valve are great. But what's the greatest game they've developed thus far, in your opinion?
In my books, that title just has to go to HL2. The original Portal was superb, but it was not quite a full game. Yeah, I know at least a dozen people that went all weepy woopy teared-up and all, but that's just a structural escapist flaw. Still, Portal was more than a nice-to-have, outstanding, amazing, unique - all of that, but still: A "mini", an independent-style surprise, a physics-engine hack and a wonderful trip, but not a full game.

Portal 2 is more of the same and then some, on a full-game scale. I'll never look at potatoes or lemons the way I did before Portal 2 came out. Another wonderful, great title. But, still: nothing has amazed me more than HL2 so far.

Counterstrike was another unique experience back in the day, and it was the basis for an awful lot of LAN-party trips and clan-based online and IRL friendmaking - that was just another first. A lot of folks only "accidentally" got to play HL because of the Counterstrike mod.

I expect to be blown away by HL3. But that still doesn't seem to happen anytime soon.

hashtag

Oct 30, 2011
This is a really weird thread for me, due to the fact that I don't like Valve games. I've played Half-Life 2, Counter strike, Portal and Team fortress 2. Out of all of those Counter Strike was the only decent one. Maybe it's because the other ones were hyped up for me by so much. I expected a lot more out of Portal, but I only found it to be ok. TF2 was shit. Like, actually, that game is shit on a crusty roll. Half-life 2 was good, but only above average as far as shooters go.

So, my vote goes to Counter Strike.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
I liked Half-Life 2 a lot, but i have to go Portal. I just can't help but love that four hour physics puzzle.

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
Half-Life 2 Episode 3. I played it the last time I was at the Valve HQ, and it's simply amazing, easily one of the god-tier games.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
Half Life 2. I recently played through it and the episodes again and it still totally holds up.

Gee, choosing between CS:S, TF2, L4D2, Portal (2) and Half Life 2 sure is hard...