Poll: Best Valve game?

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Well if you are including mods like Counterstrike I'm going to go with Day of Defeat. Second best WW2 infantry multiplayer ever after Enemy Territory. I think I have a bee in my bonnet about Portal after the memes. The best Source Engine game isn't a Valve game though. Isn't that right stop sign?
No, you stop.
NO, YOU STOP!
STOP IT!
...You've made a powerful enemy today, sign.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
As great as Half Life 2 was, the first Half Life was really something extraordinary. A lot of people might say it was ahead of its time, but it wasn't. Things ahead of their time should logically be seen in the future, but we'll never see another game like Half Life.

That game rewrote the FPS, broke so many FPS SOP's and created such a magnificent universe in such a minimalistic, subtle fashion, that no game could possibly recreate it.

Half Life is Valve in my opinion.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Well I have played and loved them all but the L4D series has had the most play time from me and I think I can honestly say I enjoyed L4D the most. So I voted L4D for the win.

Second place goes to the original Halflife, third place to the original Portal. Then the others in no particular order.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Half-Life 2 is the only Valve game that I consider great making it the clear winner for me.

I didn't like Counterstrike or TF2 and Portal was okay. I've never played Portal 2 though which could compete against Half-Life 2 but I doubt it.

Mictarmite

Nov 5, 2011
It's hard to say, especially to pick between the two HL's and portal 1 but i picked HL 1 in the end because of how influential it was, in a good way as well; makes me want to have a valve game marathon...

mionic

May 22, 2011
Oh, these where all so good in so many ways!
Though I think I like portal the most. For Science.

Jul 11, 2008
I chose other because, in my experience, Valve's best is always the next one, you may think it exists now but then there's a release and you suddenly have to change your pants and clear your schedule.

IKSA

Jun 30, 2011
I think ever Valve game is great.

(Flame eeverything) accsept that piece of **** TF2. (don't ask why because I won't response to it.)

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
Here's my list for Most relolutionary to least, doesn't mean that the higher games are BETTER than those below just that they made more impact on the world of gaming

Half Life
Half Life 2
Counterstrike (it was the undisputed king of online shooters for YEARS)
Portal
Team Fortress 2 (most popular online PC shooter there is now)
Left 4 Dead
Portal 2
Left 4 Dead 2.

All great games if you ask me, I've not seen Valve really screw up a game yet and while their scheduling and release dates are poor, the games are fantastic consistently...still want episode 3 though :p

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
The Orange Box!

Yes, it's technically a "game compilation" and not just a single "game," but, come on, Half-Life 2 + The HL2 Episodes + Team Fortress 2 + Portal!!!

Best. Thing. Valve. Ever. Did.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Portal for me.

Portal 2 was good, but felt like they wrote the dialogue then designed the game around it. Too linear and too easy to be really satisfying.

EzraPound

Jan 26, 2008
Puddleknock said:
Portal for me. I frequently mention how much I love this game on this site say may have to hold back for once as I don't want to repeat myself over and over.

What I do want to say is that I was late playing both HL and HL2 and as such they had a limited impact on me, they were good sure but I don't see why they are held in such a high regard. I simply fail to see what extra quality they have, I actually enjoyed Halo more and thats a console shooter. Though it may be due to the fact that I don't really play shooters and as such I don't have any real knowledge to draw from, I guess I simply don't get HL.
When Half-Life came out, it had exceptional production values--just compare its graphics to those of Quake II, GoldenEye, or Jedi Knight, all of which were released within eighteen months of it--the best AI seen at the time in a first-person shooter, and a storyline that was interwoven adroitly with its gameplay. Half-Life 2's greatness is subtler, but--then again--it reprises many of Half-Life's strengths (though the AI was worse), and it was the first first-person shooter to popularize the use of well-integrated physics engines, which had only been flirted with prior to 2004.

kinapuffar

Nov 26, 2010
How can Portal and Team Fortress 2 get more votes than Half-Life? Fucking kids these days, no appreciation for the classics. Half of you people probably haven't even played it!

:mad:

pyramid head grape

[Game-Over]
Feb 4, 2011
Great I have played all these and I'm going to do this one right!

1)Team Fortress 2. Equilibrium!

2) Zombies (L4D) Each player needs to pull there own weight here. Co-op with a difference, everyone is important!

3) Half life 2 and 1. Sublime. That is all.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Half-Life. I have to give credit to it since every other VaLVE game was just a mod off that. Counter Strike and Team Fortress were mods of the first Half-Life, and then L4D was a mod of Counter Strike.

Pharsalus

Jun 16, 2011
Half Life 1, I'de played TFC before but the level design in the first game was great. The second game just wasn't as memorable for me.