Poll: Bioware's best franchise

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Mikejames said:
If we were looking at standalone titles, I think Dragon Age Origins would be one of the strongest. As for series as a whole, I'd probably go with Mass Effect. Watching it develop as an overarching trilogy was a lot of the appeal.

Assassin Xaero said:
I've only play Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect (1) and I hated both. Made it all the way through DA:O though.
How could you rationally play all the way through a game as long as Dragon Age if you hated it?
It was ok for the first part, but I literally had to force myself to finish it to see the end. Actually went into the game files, turned on invulnerability, and just watched TV while "playing" it.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
plugav said:
mad825 said:
plugav said:
I still can't understand why there aren't any games trying to copy ME.
Maybe because it's basically a Gears of war rip-off or at least it turned into one. The dialogue system isn't exactly revolutionary either, it's been done better.
What I meant is, I don't see many space opera RPGs with shooter-based mechanics. It's all swords and axes, and rolling dice (not that I don't like all those).
ME1 is the only game which you could openly say was an RPG with shooter elements. ME2 & 3 is an FPS with RPG elements, they even when as far to add "ammo" into the equation.

There's nothing wrong having dice rolls unless you're basing the entire gaming mechanics behind it.

Kael Arawn

Mar 4, 2012
I didn't vote because while I enjoy every game bioware have ever made (and own them all to) my favorite has always been Jade Empire and its not a series :(

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
Nikolaz72 said:
Neverwinter came out early 2000, yet tens of thousands still played it a decade after. DESPITE!!!!!!! (And I say this with several exlamation marks) Gamespy doing its very best to kill it off.

Come say the same about Mass Effect 3 in a ten years time and I will reconsider. The other Bioware games will last through the ages, Mass Effect really wont. It relied too much on current trends (see ME2/3 going further away from RPG elements towards shooter elements) and too little on story (ME3 ending/ME3 Multiplayer)
Obviously not enough time has passed on the final installment in the series, but I will say this: the first Mass Effect game came out in 2007, I'm still playing it and I'm sure I'm not alone. I wouldn't be so quick to assume it won't last...

Jacco

May 1, 2011
BrotherRool said:
I went for Mass Effect because I've never played Dragon Age, am not a Baldur's gate fan and find it hard to call KotoR their best franchise when the best game in that series wasn't made by Bioware.

There are lots of things wrong with the Mass Effect franchise, there isn't a game in that series without gaping chasms in terms of flaws and both the ring conversation mechanic and the relationship mechanic need to die right now or be seriously overhauled.

But it also shows off the absolute brilliant best of Bioware, a whole new creative universe, interesting species, fun little side characters new landscapes. It brings about a sense of wonder that can let you forget the awful AI and sidequests because darn it, everything in these games are why speculative fiction is so good
I agree. And I can kind of forgive them because overall the experience is amazing. But when you make something so massive, there are bound to be things that fall through the cracks.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Baldurs Gate is the only one I feel they have handled properly. Mass Effect would win but 3 completely made me not care. Dragon Age really depends on what 3 can offer but 2 is a black stain on the franchise (despite how much I enjoyed it) that has yet to be redeemed. KotOR is a nice set but Obsidian had a hand in it even being a franchise along with NWN. Baldurs Gate offers good depth, cool mechanics, a solid story and cast.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Dragon Age: Origins is probably the best single game they've ever made (though I could easily change my mind to Baldur's Gate II if pressed).

Unfortunately, Dragon Age the franchise is godawful.

For an overall franchise, Baldur's Gate wins handily.

Kael Arawn

Mar 4, 2012
Since KOTOR is considered a bioware series and 2 was made by obsidian using a bioware engine think ill be a troll and change my vote to The Witcher as 1 was made using a bioware engine and bioware where one of the publishers :)

Edit

Also as far as their best game ever (not franchise) I would still say Jade empire, original IP, completely different combat mechanic to anything Ive ever seen in another RPG and the best moral system that has ever been in a game to this day, also the gorgeous world, genuinely interesting characters and brilliant story line helped as well.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Mass Effect
I love the Dragon Age series (even the slightly patchy 2)
I love Baldurs Gate
And KotOR is one of the games that really got me into gaming

But Mass Effect will always have my heart, it has broken it and put it back together, it has made me laugh and cry, and no other game has made me feel the way this series has.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
despite Dragon Age: Origins being my favorite Bioware game, Mass Effect gets my vote, the vastness of its universe and it's characters are among the most memorable game experiences I've had in recent memory.

Delerien

Apr 3, 2013
I agree with what seems to be kind of the general consensus here and go with Mass Effect.
It has so many obvious flaws it's not even funny, and yet somehow i really don't care. It was the most fun i ever had with a videogame and looking back at it i don't even know why. I've just grown fond of "my" Commander Shepard more than any other character i ever played.

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
Mass Effect, by far. The setting, the characters... simply amazing stuff. I love the fact that the combat is so good, yet even better are the moments when you are back on the Normandy, and new dialogue options are available with your crew. Probably the best games this generation for me personally.

Kael Arawn

Mar 4, 2012
WAH why is there never any love for Jade Empire ill never get a sequel at this rate *SNIFF*

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
None cause they managed to ruin every bloody one. Dragon Age 2 will never be forgiven =/

Ironside

Mar 5, 2012
I would have said Dragon Age Origins if we were only going by favourite single Bioware game, but since that franchise took a nosedive with the second game it kind of rules it out for me. I've never played Neverwinter Nights, so thats out and the best game in the Kotor franchise wasn't even made by Bioware. I did enjoy Baldurs gate, but I think overall the enjoyment I got out of the first two Mass Effects probably puts it highest on my list of favouite Bioware franchises.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Ohlookit said:
You people and your Mass Effect, have you forgotten the joy the Star Wars games have brought to you over the years! The fun of force chocking an npc then throwing them off ledges // Ah so many precious memories

-M
Wasn't that a KotoR 2 thing?

Maybe I'm thinking of the time you tell the thugs to give you all their money and then go jump off a ledge

boradam

Jan 14, 2010
DarkhoIlow said:
Tom_green_day said:
Excelsior789 said:
Fallout is developed by Bethesda.
I worded myself badly. I meant that in my opinion, Mass Effect was the best franchise of all time save for the fallout franchise.
Although Bethesda only made 1 fallout, other people have made more
It's very similar to KotOR 1 and Neverwinter Nights 1 as well. Both of the sequels to those two franchises have been developed and created by Obsidian.

Same thing goes for Fallout 3.
Fallout: New Vegas actually, just had to make a correction there.

I'm very curious as to Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, is it worth buying and would I need to download a bunch of mods for the best experience (kind of like Fallout 2's restoration patch)?

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
BrotherRool said:
Ohlookit said:
You people and your Mass Effect, have you forgotten the joy the Star Wars games have brought to you over the years! The fun of force chocking an npc then throwing them off ledges // Ah so many precious memories

-M
Wasn't that a KotoR 2 thing?

Maybe I'm thinking of the time you tell the thugs to give you all their money and then go jump off a ledge

It might have been in KotoR 2 but I remember doing it back in Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 and Mysteries of the Sith, good times

Sadly Lucas Arts is now gone as of today, Damn you Disney!

-M

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
boradam said:
DarkhoIlow said:
Tom_green_day said:
Excelsior789 said:
Fallout is developed by Bethesda.
I worded myself badly. I meant that in my opinion, Mass Effect was the best franchise of all time save for the fallout franchise.
Although Bethesda only made 1 fallout, other people have made more
It's very similar to KotOR 1 and Neverwinter Nights 1 as well. Both of the sequels to those two franchises have been developed and created by Obsidian.

Same thing goes for Fallout 3.
Fallout: New Vegas actually, just had to make a correction there.

I'm very curious as to Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights, is it worth buying and would I need to download a bunch of mods for the best experience (kind of like Fallout 2's restoration patch)?
Well it really depends really. If you are interested in the BG1 : there is already an Enhanced Edition which is available for purchase. Neverwinter Nights 1 on the other hand: I have played it back in the day so I had to buy the expansions as they came out.

I replayed them recently and didn't find the need of modding the game (there are some mods for different stories and campaigns and what not), but I haven't found any unofficial patch that could of improved the game.

Regarding restoration patches and the like, I think for some games (Kotor 2 in particular), using restoration patch(es) really helps to have the best experience, albeit it doesn't change the "unfinished" ending. Depends on what game it is really.

I had no issues with those two though, so I hope that answered your question.