Poll: Blacklisting Game Companies

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
I don't target companies to hate. However, I will not buy a game that has a one-use multiplayer code. I don't mind buy-new-and-get-shiny-outfits/characters/free DLC, but I will NOT pay for a game and not be able to play online without using a code first.

Assassin's Creed Revelations crept up on me with that. I'd already bought it before realising it had a one-use code. I will be having serious words with the sales girl on that one. Alright, I won't really, but I WILL be giving angry looks to the Ubisoft Montreal office.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ive got all Activision titles under blacklist, for clinging to liscensing rights to Marvel characters in games then turning out those absolute turds of games late last year, and Skylanders. Ill never forgive them for that.

EA is under blacklist after i feed Mass Effect 3 to my PS3, and pending a temporary suspension depending on reviews for Command and Conquer Generals 2. Maybe Dead Space 3 if it shows no signs of stagnation, or turns into a genuine horror game.

Ubisoft, well i hardly buy any of thier games anyway. All of my Ubisoft games are actually christmas or birthday presents.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
closest thing is Capcom, i've pretty much lost faith in their ability to make games anymore. they have so many good IPs and they're only paying attention to to the fighters and RE >.> and are in the process of letting complete retards ruin DMC

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
No, I don't get the point. If a game looks intresting and has gotten positive reviews I'll most likely buy and enjoy it. I won't stay away just because an EVIIIIIL company are resposible for it.

Gylukios

The Red Comet
Dec 3, 2008
I must admit, I don't really like many of EA's recent business practices. I don't like the one-time use online passes, I don't like Origin, I don't like them pulling EA games from Steam... But they still make a lot of great games that I want to buy every year, and I see no reason to deprive myself of them for something that is not my fault.

I won't buy Ubisoft games on the PC though, they crossed a bit of a line. I know that's a double standard and they took most of the bad stuff back, but it was wrong and I've still got an Xbox that I'm perfectly okay with buying their games for.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I've never done it in the past. I always just looked to the quality of the games. But with recent events in the past few years, I've changed that policy.

I can now say that I have, or rather will, be fully "black listing" the following publishers:

Activision/Blizzard - Once Diablo 3 hits, and I gauge how good it actually is, I can guarantee it'll be the last game I buy from them. Assuming I even do buy it.

EA - Dead Space 2 and Battlefield 3 were the last games I bought from them. And I see no reason to change that fact. Not until EA grows the hell up.

Ubisoft - Since they've basically given a colossal middle-finger to all PC gamers, calling us thieves and such, I'm done with them too. The only thing I plan to buy from them is Rayman Origins. Once that game's in my library, I'm done with Ubisoft.

That's about it really. There have been other developers and publishers that have done really stupid, annoying, and aggravating BS in the past, but nothing as incredibly retarded as the above three. Especially when one considers that the above have actively INSULTED their customers, repeatedly, and gotten away with it.

So yeah. Fuck them.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
aftohsix said:
Blacklisting a games company is stupid. The best example for me that comes to mind is Bioware. I see a TON of hatred spewed towards Bioware and I really can't understand it.

If a game isn't good don't buy it. You don't need to swear off the company at large. Oftentimes different teams make different products within a company.
I don't see what difference it makes to you. Let people buy or don't buy what they want.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
Vigormortis said:
I've never done it in the past. I always just looked to the quality of the games. But with recent events in the past few years, I've changed that policy.

I can now say that I have, or rather will, be fully "black listing" the following publishers:

Activision/Blizzard - Once Diablo 3 hits, and I gauge how good it actually is, I can guarantee it'll be the last game I buy from them. Assuming I even do buy it.

EA - Dead Space 2 and Battlefield 3 were the last games I bought from them. And I see no reason to change that fact. Not until EA grows the hell up.

Ubisoft - Since they've basically given a colossal middle-finger to all PC gamers, calling us thieves and such, I'm done with them too. The only thing I plan to buy from them is Rayman Origins. Once that game's in my library, I'm done with Ubisoft.

That's about it really. There have been other developers and publishers that have done really stupid, annoying, and aggravating BS in the past, but nothing as incredibly retarded as the above three. Especially when one considers that the above have actively INSULTED their customers, repeatedly, and gotten away with it.

So yeah. Fuck them.
You'll rant all day about what assholes you think they are, but you'll still buy their games if they offer you what you want? You're only making a stand as long as it's convenient for you, and that's the worst stand to take.

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
I have a personnal and deep hatred for Activision and EA (it appears that my hate is shared).

I'm sick with the half-assed releases, DLC's, fee's, retard engines, nd overall capitalist corruption going on those 2 companies...

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I go purely on a game-by-game basis.

I hate Ubisoft's business choices, but Assassin's Creed is a good series, and I love Rayman Origins. I'm not going to deny myself a good, fun, well-made game that I will enjoy just because Ubisoft's holding Beyond Good and Evil 2 over gamer's heads. I didn't buy Modern Warfare 3 not because "I hate what CoD's doing to the industry!" or "I don't want to encourage Activision!", but because I was just tired of playing CoD.

The only company I do anything close to resembling blacklisting is Bethesda, and that's simply because all their games they ever develop or publish tend to be buggy, broken and unfinished. I made an exception for Skyrim (on the PS3), and it just reminded my why I avoid their games. It doesn't have to do with the company itself, it has to do with how their games are.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
ReinWeisserRitter said:
Vigormortis said:

So yeah. Fuck them.
You'll rant all day about what assholes you think they are, but you'll still buy their games if they offer you what you want? You're only making a stand as long as it's convenient for you, and that's the worst stand to take.
And you've completely misunderstood my stance. Diablo 3 was/is a game I've been looking forward to for years. YEARS. Long before Activision/Blizzard started it's current trend of bullshit. I'm also waiting to see if it's even going to be worth the purchase. (which, by the way, isn't likely)

Rayman Origins is a game that I was interested in before Ubisoft decided to shaft the PC gamers. And even then, I only want to buy it because it's amazing fun and I want to support the people behind it. Especially Michel Ancel.

Also, you seem to have missed the part where I said these two games would be the very last thing I buy from them. I don't care what they make from now on, these two games are the last. (I'm already done with EA, even if that means I miss out on things like Mirror's Edge 2) And, unless they make drastic changes to their incredibly stupid policies and procedures, that's going to remain my stance on their games.

So if you don't mind, maybe try actually reading what I wrote before you decide to insult me. It's rather obnoxious to do otherwise.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yes, I'm currently blacklisting EA because of that whole mudslinging fiasco. I mean c'mon guys you're not 12 year olds playing hockey here you're grown men/women making/selling video games. Even most professional wrestlers have more respect for each other than you do, EA! Grow up!

...anyway, no I don't really expect it to do any good, but it can't hurt to try. I'd try to rally others to my cause, but if the Modern Warfare 2 boycott of '09 has taught me anything it's that most gamers have the will power of mice hooked on cigarettes.

Greni

Jun 19, 2011
Well, what's this? Conscious consumers on this day and age? Unwilling to throw money at just anyone for the next shiny thing that captures their eye. That's just marvelous, and I thought boycotting products was a forgotten practice, like strikes and baking bread.

I don't buy products made by greedy fuckers in suits that are mass producing shit, supporting medieval laws hindering free speech so that they can direct their anger about people that are actually (gasp!) stealing their products!

Just like I don't buy products made by greedy fuckers in suits that treat their employers like shit, move their factories to Vietnam/China/Africa or some other foreign country where they can get away with treating the employers even worse, paying them even less and then act all shocked when people complain about these conditions.

That list includes (but is not limited to):

Nike
Apple
Ubisoft
EA
Hugo Boss
Capcom
Activision
General Motors
EMI Records
Alcoa
Rio Tinto
Nestlé

Danny91

May 30, 2011
To be perfectly honest, I rarely pay attention to which company makes which game. Of course, in the back of mind I know who it is, but to me the extent to which they effect me is whether or not I can skip their logo when I boot up my game to play. That may sound apathetic, but I really don't get inconvenienced any more than that; I keep up to date with which games I want to get, not who makes them.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
Vigormortis said:
And you've completely misunderstood my stance. Diablo 3 was/is a game I've been looking forward to for years. YEARS. Long before Activision/Blizzard started it's current trend of bullshit. I'm also waiting to see if it's even going to be worth the purchase. (which, by the way, isn't likely)

Rayman Origins is a game that I was interested in before Ubisoft decided to shaft the PC gamers. And even then, I only want to buy it because it's amazing fun and I want to support the people behind it. Especially Michel Ancel.

Also, you seem to have missed the part where I said these two games would be the very last thing I buy from them. I don't care what they make from now on, these two games are the last. (I'm already done with EA, even if that means I miss out on things like Mirror's Edge 2) And, unless they make drastic changes to their incredibly stupid policies and procedures, that's going to remain my stance on their games.

So if you don't mind, maybe try actually reading what I wrote before you decide to insult me. It's rather obnoxious to do otherwise.
I did read what you wrote, and it boils down to "I'll only refuse to give them my money until they put out something I want to buy from them". You can divert attention from it with padding and accusations if it makes you feel better, but it remains that you're bitching about them, then saying you're going to pay them to continue anyway, but just this once, which makes it okay. It doesn't matter when you were interested in the games; your issues with the publishers are apparently current. It just makes you come off as a hypocrite, which is fine, as that's more or less our defining trait as a species, but don't get all prima donna when someone calls you out on it.

Also, I wasn't insulting you. I could (though I'd rather point out your insecurity for assuming I was; a mite touchy, aren't we?), but that'd be a waste of both our time.

isometry

Mar 17, 2010
I've had enough bad experiences with EA and Ubisoft games in the last two years that the decision to boycott those companies is easy.

I notice a lot of people are boycotting EA generally but plan to make an exception and buy Mass Effect 3. I enjoyed ME 2 at first, but by the end I found the new shooter gameplay to be repetitive and I was disappointed by the lack of depth in the main plot (too much like a Hollywood blockbuster). There's just no compelling reason to stick around to the third game, not for the refined shooter gameplay or for the conclusion of the story (Shepard stops the reaper invasion! derp!).

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
Honestly, if I tried to hold true to my personal blacklist...I'd never get to play anything again.

EA controls EVERYTHING.

I try to buy as little as possible that they publish. I won't touch the NHL franchise anymore...garbage. If anything is DIRECTLY made by EA, I won't buy it.

But say, SW:TOR...I bought that, and Windows to play it. EA didn't have much involved with it anyway, outside of Origin, which I'm still proud to say I'm not a part of.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I don't buy from publishers actively giving me the middle finger, no.

However, if they do something RIGHT (Ubisoft releasing that damned DRM scheme from From Dust, for instance), then I'm much more inclined to buy their stuff. It's called the "stick AND carrot" motivation, not the "stick NO carrot" motivation.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Wow, how can you people seriously not support SOPA, then turn around and want to start blacklisting companies.

Ninonybox_v1legacy

Apr 2, 2008
While I detest EA and there way of doing things, its not going to stop me from buying a good game. However I will be thinking about how much they suck right now.