Poll: Blacklisting Game Companies

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
I have a small problem in that my favourite devs always have my least favoured publishers. Bioware comes to mind in this, with KotOR being on of my top games of all times, but EA have essentially become a dick singularity recently.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
Kind of.. mostly I resolve to games before I resolve to not buy from companies. So for instance I'm invested enough in Mass Effect to be resolved to buy the third entry, but given Bioware's recent behaviour I've been turned off their future games in turn.. and Blizzard's philosophies have never attracted me to their creations.

If there's a piece I feel is absolutely wonderful, I may buy it and support the game itself and.. I guess the decisions it made right. But.. I'm as soon turned off companies' games by the way they act anyhow, so.. it just sort of flows, I guess.

Ziame

Mar 29, 2011
aint buyin no more from DICE cause bf3 didnt surpass bc2 all that much imo.

similar with ubisoft, from dust was mostly shit and AC is repeating same pattern over and over. not mentioning retarded plot.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
I refuse to buy anything from EA for it's horrible business practices and I don't buy anything from Nintendo because I see right through their lazy, half-assed, reprinting of old titles over and over.

That and Nintendo's handling of the large request for ported games.
---

Dear our fan-base,

We know you like localized games so much that they sell better here than in Japan in a lot of cases, but you can all go get fucked. What are you going to do: STOP buying the next Mario Kart?

Keep being our bitches,
Nintendo

---
I'm about there with Square-Enix too... because they don't seem to give a shit about what people think.

Jun 11, 2008
I am not at the stage where I have black listed any publisher/dev/company yet but I am close to it for a few so far I only have a couple of series that I have blacklisted due to them being too much changed.

EDIT: Sorry forgot about Ubisoft. Ye I won't buy one of their games again unless, they have a major attitude change towards PC gaming. I may not just be a PC gamer but you don't take the piss out of a system like that and call it a translation error and get away with it in my books.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
For me, it's less about a blacklist/boycott and more about not wanting to deal with BS like DRM that requires a constant internet connection and Origin. If they remove this stuff, I would happily buy their games.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I've been boycotting EA for a while now. The last EA game I bought was Bulletstorm and even that was used.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
I don't buy EA games because I refuse to even look at origin. That's about it, I do have some problems with the way bioware does sequels, but that goes with EA.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
I will never deprive myself of something I'll enjoy because a company has made bad decisions. Independent boycotting does nothing, and even when people try to organize it, they completely fail, so screw it, I'mma go play good games.

Pebkio said:
Nintendo because I see right through their lazy, half-assed, reprinting of old titles over and over.
You know what fans of SM Galaxy wanted from the sequel? Exactly what they got. Same with every iteration of Mario Kart. Innovation and originality and never required to make a good game.

sifffffff

Oct 28, 2011
ReinWeisserRitter said:
aftohsix said:
Blacklisting a games company is stupid. The best example for me that comes to mind is Bioware. I see a TON of hatred spewed towards Bioware and I really can't understand it.

If a game isn't good don't buy it. You don't need to swear off the company at large. Oftentimes different teams make different products within a company.
I don't see what difference it makes to you. Let people buy or don't buy what they want.
Astute observation. But that was pretty much the whole point of my post.

Baldr said:
Wow, how can you people seriously not support SOPA, then turn around and want to start blacklisting companies.
Well it wouldn't be a video-gaming forum without flawed arguments and hypocracy. Have a minor aneurysm when EA says Mass Effect 3 will only be on Origin. See no problem with games that do the same thing with Steam.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
kind of i tend to avoid companies that will end up pissing on me with DRM like ubisoft but there are some big games that i want enough that i will over look the fact that they will put sand in the lube when they fuck me and i will do plenty of research and read reviews and maybe even wait of a price drop before buying it

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I don't care but I normally check out the games before I buy them. Same goes for companies like Bethesda which I love, I won't just go buy one of their games unless I know its good.

Hasido

Jun 20, 2011
i don't know. i mean, i would have to start buying games first. damn my lack of funds and what not.

i guess i wouldn't buy games if i didn't like the games. er whatever.

i can't form opinions when im tired.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Fuck, this looks familiar.

OP: No! Never! Every dev team needs to be treated fairly and with respect! I buy every game I see just so I don't offend anybody

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I refuse to buy anything from blizzard after they dangled a job in front of me and then took it away.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
I blacklisted Subway when I found out they put high-fructose corn syrup in their "bread". So far there's been no discernible dip in Subway's annual profits despite my blacklist, but I like to think they're feeling the pressure.

Also, personal "blacklists" are silly. If you don't want to buy something, don't buy it. Don't get up on your internet soap box and preach to the masses as if you were the 2nd coming of Martin Luther King, Jr. There is nothing inherently noble, commendable, or noteworthy in your decision to buy or not buy an entertainment product. On the cosmic scale of significance, it ranks right up there with what you had for lunch, and slightly below whether or not your morning bowel movement was a floater or a sinker.

If you want to do something productive or meaningful to make the world a better place, donate to a charity, or volunteer. Do SOMETHING. But don't come to a gaming forum, and give the "Rise up, my brothers" routine because of Ubisoft's annoying new DRM, or because Bioware copy pasted a dungeon, or because Robert Kotick is an asshole. If you want to vent, vent. But don't treat your pedestrian gamer angst like it's a grassroots political movement. Because frankly, that's laughable.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I care more about rewarding the deserving developers than shafting the sometimes underhanded companies.

You have to either accept that to support the developers, who work the hardest on that game you love, you have to support the publishers they work with... or to shaft those publishers you hate you must shaft those developers you love in return.

And if you want to shaft everyone you're just shunning the gaming industry and creation community as a whole.

L-J-F

Jun 22, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Yes, I'm currently blacklisting EA because of that whole mudslinging fiasco. I mean c'mon guys you're not 12 year olds playing hockey here you're grown men/women making/selling video games. Even most professional wrestlers have more respect for each other than you do, EA! Grow up!
There are two sides to the mudslinging, EA and Valve, it's just that Valve handled their PR much better as usual. EA hasn't really done anything different to Steam, Origin is Steam with a fresh coat of paint, a coat of paint that is admittedly still a little fresh and sticky at the moment and probably needs a little bit longer to dry.

Smackerlacker

Jun 15, 2011
I try not to buy games published by Electronic Arts. I don't really have an issue with developers. It's the publishers who keep fucking things up.
They have no respect for games or gamers. They'll do anything they can to squeeze a few dollars out of a game. Take Skyrim for example. It's a good game, but it was released about six months early. It's buggy as hell.
Why? I'll bet my life savings that it's because the publisher pushed them to release it early so they could meet their quarterly profit quota.
I don't buy from EA because they treat their customers like criminals. They fill their games with DRM that breaks the game and prevents paying customers from using their own software, which is criminal and wrong.
Supporting people who do business this way is like an invitation to others to do the same.