Poll: Borderlands Gun Manufacturer: Who's your favorite?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Tediore for me.
I was doing crazy damage with them to begin with, then I got a relic that increases damage & recoil reduction like 25%. Great for second wind.
Also found a legendary one (shotgun) that bounces & homes in when you hurl it.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Jakobs, give me a good sniper rifle and I can use the gun as the slogan promises you: 1 hit KO. It even works with Gaige while having an Anarchy build.
Maliwan is close second, love it that you can light people on fire.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
My favorite gun ever was a Vladof sniper rifle with high damage, high fire rate, negligible recoil, and something like a 23 round magazine. God damn that gun ripped through everything and didn't let up until every enemy was dead.

Karthesios

Jul 11, 2010
Tediore. My favorite method of getting second winds is with a rocket launcher and I need all the extra shots I can get.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
WoW Killer said:
Jamous said:
how on Earth could you tell?
Atlas no longer exist, and Maliwan don't make Shotguns any more ;)

But yeah, sell a kidney or something. No excuses xD
Ah, I see. Excellent stuff. No need for anything that drastic; I get paid Friday. ;D

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Bandit: Are the jokers of the Manufacturers, on occasion I have found a gun that lasted 5+ levels but you are just as likely to find crap. That said, I love the extended mags they have.

Dahl: Burst fire on a sniper rifle? Really? If it weren't for accurate SMG's and AR's I would bypass Dahl completely.

Hyperion: Good for shotguns but not much else.

Jakobs: Good sniper rifles and revolvers but the 'oneshot' shotguns are a pain, plus the lack of ANY elemental damage causes Jakobs weapons to fall behind the others in True Vault Hunter Mode.

Maliwan: Those 'consume 2 rounds per shot' pistols with a 6 round clip + Anarchy speced Mecromancer = LOTS OF ANARCHY! Add in the sniper rifles and the SMG's (bar those annoying circular clip versions) and you have a winner.

Tediore: Takes awhile to not reload after a firefight but its funny to use and a decent damage spike.

Torgue: I lucked out and found a 90+ accuracy AR, otherwise just use shotguns with lots of pellets/rockets per trigger pull.

Vladof: Treat the sniper rifles as a battle rifle and everything else as a 'hold down trigger until target is dead' and you will go far.

In the end Maliwan wins out due to elemental effects which is a must in True Vault Hunter Mode with Vladof in second. Dahl takes third with honorable mention going to Torgue for 'making a 40k Bolter in all but name'.

Captcha: exceeding well read

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
NearLifeExperience said:
6_Qubed said:
Gaige is best pony. :3
And now I feel dirty agreeing with you..

Anyway, I guess it also depends on what you're using the weapon for. My main weapon is a Jakobs shotgun (The Striker is so nice and accurate!), a purple Jakobs sniper for those faraway targets, an eridium powered Maliwan corrosive SMG that I use solely for armoured foes, and for tough bosses I use Badaboom, a legendary Bandit rocketlauncher that fires 6 rockets at the cost of just 1. I'd never use one brand for all of my weapons, diversity is the key to overcome your opponents. But firing a Jakobs sure feels satisfying!

The only manufacturer I don't like is Tediore. The only thing they have going is the fast reload, that also does splash damage. And Dahl snipers.. burst fire while zoomed is just wrong on a sniper.
Heh heh. Diiiiiiiiiiiirrrrrrtyyyyyyyy... It seemed appropriate, given all the pony references in Gaige's skill trees. Yes, I am a brony. No, I am not one of the insane MLP fanboys who take SERIOUS OFFENSE to people not liking the (admittedly good) children's show about magical cartoon horses. Some things just aren't for everyone. However I am straying off-topic, so lets try to rope this thing back in.

Jakobs guns are good for racking up "Anarchy" stacks between firefights, if you don't mind shooting at barrels, critter piles, or anything else that'll register a hit. For that purpose, I tend to have at least one shotgun in my inventory at all times with only one shell in the clip after "Smaller, Lighter, Faster" is done with it.

Tediore is a brand I have mixed feelings about. Outside of Mechromancer-flavored FPSing, I am a compulsive reloader. I do not like the idea of being ambushed with half a clip left, so I tend to always reload after a fight. You can see how this might be a problem when one is using Tediore guns, or especially starting down the Ordered Chaos skill tree as a mechromancer. Hell, the only reason I took the "Discord" skill (MLP reference!) was so that if I did accidentally reload, I could conserve most of my stacks and only lose about 5-6 depending on reload speed, which is a drop in the bucket considering I regularly play with a full 400 stacks. Accuracy can suck it!

Bertylicious said:
6_Qubed said:
Would now be a bad time to point out that the poll at the top was asking for "favorites", not "the best"?
I fail to grasp the distinction.

If I said I liked Dahl Sniper Rifles and that evolution "was just, like, your opinion, man" you would take me in hand. You would say "Berty, we love you but what you are doing here is profaning the truth. The quantity of proof against your position is overwhelming. Please stop disgracing yourself with your lies."

And you would be right to do so. Naturally your rational and well meant intervention would only cause me to entrench my position further because I am a human being and therefore terrible untill the moderators were required to take action unto me with their mighty ban-hammers.

In the interest of compromise I will concede that there are certain instances where Torque rifles are better than Torque miniguns.
*TORGUE MODE ACTIVATED*

Oh Berty, you ignorant slut. The only reason I would be "taking you in hand" would be to strangle you until you agreed with me or until I got bored. Or until you exploded, it could go either way really.

Because that's what real men do; we strangle things until they explode. Shooting things until they explode is for communists and women and whoever else Vladof sells to.

*TORGUE MODE DEACTIVATED*

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I'm on Team Jacobs.

Jacobs, Jacobs, Jacobs
They make you out of wood
Jacobs, Jacobs, Jacobs
To shoot you feels so good

When psycho bandits come to play
And you ass looks good for the cooking
One shot to the head makes their day
And you can take their stuff when no one is looking

You had better stay out of my way
For if you try to take my shotty away
You'll get such a reaming
When I reload
Gaige explodes
And everyone's on fire and screaming

Jacobs! Yeah! *Jazz hands*

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I went Torgue/Bandit for Shotguns/Launchers, and Jakobs for pistols and assault rifles.
If Jakobs made a shotgun with more than three shots, like they did in 1 I would use them all the time.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Maliwan. I always keep an acid weapon in my backpack to deal with those pesky robots, and an electric weapon for enemies with elemental-resistance shields.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
Hyperion for the Sniper Rifle I got that I used for like 10 levels because it was just so much better than anything else I found.

I wish I loved Jacobs more though for the awesome taglines, or maybe Torgue as they don't make their guns out of freakin' WOOD.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Ed130 said:
Bandit: Are the jokers of the Manufacturers, on occasion I have found a gun that lasted 5+ levels but you are just as likely to find crap. That said, I love the extended mags they have.

Dahl: Burst fire on a sniper rifle? Really? If it weren't for accurate SMG's and AR's I would bypass Dahl completely.

Hyperion: Good for shotguns but not much else.

Jakobs: Good sniper rifles and revolvers but the 'oneshot' shotguns are a pain, plus the lack of ANY elemental damage causes Jakobs weapons to fall behind the others in True Vault Hunter Mode.

Maliwan: Those 'consume 2 rounds per shot' pistols with a 6 round clip + Anarchy speced Mecromancer = LOTS OF ANARCHY! Add in the sniper rifles and the SMG's (bar those annoying circular clip versions) and you have a winner.

Tediore: Takes awhile to not reload after a firefight but its funny to use and a decent damage spike.

Torgue: I lucked out and found a 90+ accuracy AR, otherwise just use shotguns with lots of pellets/rockets per trigger pull.

Vladof: Treat the sniper rifles as a battle rifle and everything else as a 'hold down trigger until target is dead' and you will go far.

In the end Maliwan wins out due to elemental effects which is a must in True Vault Hunter Mode with Vladof in second. Dahl takes third with honorable mention going to Torgue for 'making a 40k Bolter in all but name'.

Captcha: exceeding well read
Actually, Jakobs shotty's (with more then 1 bullet magazines though) are great for anarchy, well at least in my oppinion. Only revolvers I could actually make good use of where the Law and Greed.
I do agree on Maliwan though, never had this much fun with setting people on fire.

Hell, all the weapons in my backpack are Maliwan or jakobs with only a few exceptions.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I usually play elemental-damage focused characters, so Maliwan, of course.

Jakobs would be a very close second, though. I don't like when it takes more than one shot.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Are we talking BL1 or BL2? Because Hyperion guns in BL1 were Godly.
In BL2 they're fucking shit.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Borderlands 1: Hyperion, Maliwan, Dahl.

Borderlands 2: Jakobs, Maliwan, then Vladof

Jakobs used to be of limited use in BL1 (revolvers mostly) due to the horrid reload times and iffy accuracy (sans revolvers), but they've really come into their own in BL2, due in part to the new Slag mechanic enhancing their high base damage, and the overall nerfing of the other elemental effects.

Maliwan's only gimmick is that their weapons have elemental effects. Apart from that, their weapons don't suffer from any of the bullshit that plagues most of the other manufacturer's.
Their sniper rifles, SMGs, and pistols are all accurate and effective for the most part.

Vladof is basically the new Dahl in BL2. Their weapons aren't especially awful anymore either.
I love their machine pistols, and Sniper Rifles when I can get one above Green grade. Their assault rifles lack stopping power, but that's due to the MASSIVE nerf to Combat Rifles from BL1; I don't get it.
Their Machine-Pistols have better stats all-around than most of their rifles: Magazine, Damage, Accuracy and reload.

Dahl is right behind Vladof, for their fine SMGs and Assault Rifles, but their Burst-fire Sniper Rifles piss me off to no end. No, really, I like burst-fire weaponry, but sniper ammo is far too limited in BL2 for it to be practical (and little to no ammo regen to fix that problem).

Tediore: Their Rocket Launchers are amazingly useful.
Not much else to say; their regular performance is middling, and the gimmick wastes ammo.

Torgue: Power. Everything.
Their Rocket Launchers are horribly inaccurate, but they make up for it with tenacity.
Their Gyrojet weaponry is hit-or-miss. I'm currently rocking a rather powerful Torgue Pistol, but only as a last-resort sidearm, or opener against enemies carrying physical shields.

Bandit: Lol. No.

Hyperion weaponry in BL2 is largely TERRIBLE since their accuracy formula is reversed.
Especially Hyperion SMGs, which are mostly unusable unless you like this uncomfortable JUTTER-JUMP every time you pull the trigger.
The problem is that the first shot is the one that counts the most, since it's aimed at a critical location. Missing that shot every time is NOT worth the "advantage" of having to spam ammo by the truckload hitting a now-moving target.

(NOTE: I do not take a manufacturer's Legendary weapons into account for any of these placements because all legendary weapons are exceptional in some way or another. Either in power, gimmick, or weirdness, not just practicality.)