Poll: Brink or LA Noire?

Zomni42

Jul 22, 2008
Outright Villainy said:
radioactive lemur said:
Outright Villainy said:
L.A. Noire. It takes a particular type of shooter (read: developed by Valve) to get me interested in multiplayer. Also, after Red Dead Redemption, Rockstar have certainly got me pretty interested. The setting looks awesome too.
Um, Valve IS involved with Brink.
Wikipedia said:
Brink is an upcoming first-person shooter video game developed by Splash Damage.
Distribution doesn't count you know.
Brink will use VAC, that wildly popular(with hackers) valve anti-cheat system.

Aside from that i do not think valve is involved.

ShakyFt Slasher

Feb 3, 2011
I'm getting both but I prefer L.A. Noire just because I like supporting game developers who believe that great storytelling is important.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
WaaghPowa said:
Ironic Pirate said:
2) I was trying to get at that despite the fact that TF2 has snipers, the ability to camp in a single spot and dominate anyone who happened to pass by, like some other shooters, was nearly impossible because of balancing.

3) Operatives seemed like the most likely to use sniper rifles because of their unique ability to tag enemies, giving them some kind of usefulness at extra long range. The assumption is also that there would be more than one operative as sniping wont be as preferable.

4) For a game with limited variety, they seem to give you a lot of unlocks in attempt to make you unique, ultimately it's an illusion of choice.

5) Tried to make a point regarding CoD level of customization.

7) I mention CoD because most complaints I've heard regarding sniping in other games usually has some reference to CoD. So that's an assumption on my end. Most of the time people would like to hit the easy button and play a shooter where pointing, clicking and getting a kill is what they would consider fun.

All I'm getting at is that this game is unique by comparison, and to actually try it before judging it hastily as "awful" simply because they may have altered your favourite gameplay mechanic.

I'm not saying it's awful just because of that, and sniping isn't really my favorite game mechanic. I'm just worried, is all. It seemed like a really awesome game at first, but everything I hear about it makes me more and more nervous. I'm gonna just stop reading about it and wait for the beta at this point.

Nightfire3230

Aug 6, 2010
I had the same question because of gamefly. Im renting both Brink and L.A. Noire, so I need to return 1 game next month. I would say L.A. Noire because I love mystery games/books/movies and the 1950's.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Upon seeing footage, Brink looks intersting. I typically don't like First Person Shooters, but this has a TF2 with a twist vibe. It might be one of the rare FPS games I like.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
Of all the topics in all the forums of the world, you have to ask this in this one?

here's LA Noire looking at you kid.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Brink is probably the bigger gamble of the two, since it's much more of a MP game. Even if they do everything right, it could still fail to garner enough interest to carry the on-line aspect.

Figure Rockstar will deliver the sandbox goods with L.A. Noire.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Ironic Pirate said:
I'm not saying it's awful just because of that, and sniping isn't really my favorite game mechanic. I'm just worried, is all. It seemed like a really awesome game at first, but everything I hear about it makes me more and more nervous. I'm gonna just stop reading about it and wait for the beta at this point.
You said:

Ironic Pirate said:
Brink looked cool until I saw a video of it's horrendous gunplay mechanics, and read about the awful things they were doing to sniper rifles.
This read, to me, as being dismissive and interpreted as "They broke what I like, so I wont get it" considering this thread was about "What are you going to get?". So yeah, that's why.

Armanox15

Nov 9, 2009
.......don't waste money........daiblo 3........ (still if i had to choose i'd go for Brink)

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
I'm betting Rockstar will turn out one hell of a game. From what I've seen so far they are on track to deliver a perfect 10.

From what I've seen of Brink the climbing mechanic just doesn't add to the game. The trailer is good stuff but gameplay is what counts. I've seen the gameplay videos. I was not impressed.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
WaaghPowa said:
Ironic Pirate said:
You said:

Ironic Pirate said:
Brink looked cool until I saw a video of it's horrendous gunplay mechanics, and read about the awful things they were doing to sniper rifles.
This read, to me, as being dismissive and interpreted as "They broke what I like, so I wont get it" considering this thread was about "What are you going to get?". So yeah, that's why.
I can see the confusion. I was trying to express displeasure at the sniper mechanics, rather than the game itself, and I've since seen other videos that looked better, so that may have been an older build I saw. Still, if it sounds like I'm being too harsh on it, it's true. I'm being overly dismissive of the game so that, if I'm right, I won't feel let down, but if I'm wrong, then I get a good game. Rather be pleasantly surprised then sadly disappointed, etc.