Poll: Calling all metal-heads...

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Slayer, then Anthrax, then Megadeth, then Metallica. Which seems to be the opposite of what most people think :/ I like them all though.

dragonswarrior

Also a Social Justice Warrior
Feb 13, 2012
Eh. These guys are kinda boring. Especially when compared to awesomeness like Blind Guardian or Ayreon. *shrugs* Maybe it's just thrash metal.

Of those examples I thought Slayer's was best though. Shame to not see them get more love...

Edit: Shit OP. Black Sabbath is way better than these guys too. Stick with your avatar and you can't go wrong man.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
Metallica. I could listen to every album they have.

And, in my opinion, this is their greatest song.

<youtube=p99gCBEf2P8>

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
DanielBrown said:
Megadeth. I care little for the other of the big four.
Though the true kings of thrash are, and will always be, Overkill.

You are awesome.

<youtube=ghuJgD0J9Kg&ob=av2e>

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
Either Metallica or Anthrax. At a push, probably Anthrax. Never got into Slayer and Megadeth are fucking atrocious.
The best metal bands in history are Black Sabbath and Pantera, anyway (in my opinion).
And my favourite metal band is Mastodon.

Captcha: fishy smell. All right, then.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I'm not huge into metal but Metallica are the only band on that list that I ever listen to.

Actually, it's fun to listen to at the gym. If you put on St. Anger while running on the treadmill and imagine James Hetfield standing in front of you, it really motivates you because you want to punch him in the face so much.

ChadSexington

Apr 14, 2011
Really tough call between Metallica and Slayer. I don't like Megadeth at all, I think Mustaine is a great guitarist but awful lyricist/song writer and Anthrax... Let's be honest, they're kind of a joke. Testament should replace the last two and we'd have the big three instead.

David_G

Aug 25, 2009
I'm a more brutal type of metal-head, so I really like Slayer the best, at least from Show No Mercy to Seasons in the Abyss. I also like the other three, especially Metallica but Slayer are just one of my favorite bands of all time.

TwiZtah

Sep 22, 2011
BreakfastMan said:
The big 4, for those who do not know, refers to 4 thrash metal bands:

Metallica:
Megadeth:
Slayer:
and Anthrax:

These 4 metal bands are basically the biggest names in thrash. No other bands really come close; hence the title "The Big 4". I have always wondered which one the Escapist community prefers.

So, I pose the question to y'all: which of the big 4 is your favorite, and why?
I don't like the old metal stuff,pretty much none of it. But then, I listen to mostly In Flames, Dark Tranquillity to Suicide Silence.

xplosive59

Jul 20, 2009
Anthrax gets my vote. They in my oppinion have had more consistently good albums with only 2-3 being weak, also their last album Worship Music was excellent.

Metallica: Only like their first three albums, parts of ...And Justice For All as well as Garage Inc, the rest ranges from mediocre to terrible.

Megadeth: Not a big fan of anything after countdown to extinction.

Slayer: Great stuff in the 80's but anything after Seasons in the Abyss have sucked, saying that though, Disciple off of God Hates Us All is one of the best Slayer tracks.

Jovip

Aug 12, 2010
To me, it's Megadeth and Slayer. Then Anthrax, then Metallica.
The big four are together because they together formed what we call thrash metal today.
So to me, they are incredibly important.

IrateDonnie

Apr 1, 2010
DarkishFriend said:
Megadeth, oh God, Megadeth. Amazing guitar skills, the song writing is good and I think Dave is much more versatile for creating riffs than anyone else from the big 4.
He's a good guitarist but his voice is horrible in my opinion.
I pick none of the above since Pantera isn't on the poll.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Sexy Devil said:
Metal heads are too busy killing everything to think about such things.

Excellent, I was just playing Jak 3 xD

OT: Metallica all the way, one of my absolute favourite bands. Though I do like a big of Megadeth I prefer the deeper tones of Metallica and I find their music a lot more consistent in terms of quality. Anthrax have a few good songs, but I just abide Slayer; they seem to be all show to me and I can't take them seriously.

(That said Manowar I like and god knows I can't take them that seriously, hail from Britain btw)

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
IrateDonnie said:
DarkishFriend said:
Megadeth, oh God, Megadeth. Amazing guitar skills, the song writing is good and I think Dave is much more versatile for creating riffs than anyone else from the big 4.
He's a good guitarist but his voice is horrible in my opinion.
I pick none of the above since Pantera isn't on the poll.
Gotta say I agree on the voice part, Dave Mustaine doesn't have a good voice compared to Hetfield, in my opinion.

Pantera are pretty great too. :)

Hookman

Jul 2, 2008
It used to be Metallica but the combination of Lulu (Along with all the dick moves they've been pulling lately) and Anthrax's amazing Worship Music has meant that Anthrax have jumped from 4th place to 1st. It now stands:
1. Anthrax
2. Megadeth
3. Metallica
4. Slayer

halfeclipse

Nov 8, 2008
Metallica if you ignore everything after And Justice for All. Megadeath otherwise.

Neither of them have anything on black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Dio and so on however.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Don't particularly love any of them, but Metallica is probably my favourite.

I don't even listen to that much metal these days, lol. If I do listen to something heavy it's usually hardcore of some sort, or metalcore.