Poll: Can England be invaded

shroomie

Mar 31, 2009
England could be invaded, however we aint just gonna let the invaders roll over us like we are french, they wud meet heavy resistance in the form of chavs, rebels and nerds who think it is there job to save the world. ultimatley the invaders wud be defeated and we wud all celebrate by going down the partly destroyed pub.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
oliveira8 said:
poncho14 said:
oliveira8 said:
Well...Yes it can be invaded...the Romans invaded Britannia, they just didn't go very far, cause it wasn't worth it.

And that remains its major ace. Its just expensive to go invade Britain and maintain it.

But if the whole world attacked Britain...they wouldn't stand a chance.
The question shouldd be can scotland be invaded since the romans bricked it when they saw us:)
No cause Scotland has nothing valuable apart from sheeps.

And some funky stones.
we have oil :)pewpewpew

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
It wouldn't be impossible, unlike Scandinavia(those mountainous Euro rednecks, lol a new stereotype for all of ya). Germany could have done it in WWII if they felt like it, but they already had other countries to act as landfill.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Maraveno said:
oliveira8 said:
Well...Yes it can be invaded...the Romans invaded Britannia, they just didn't go very far, cause it wasn't worth it.

And that remains its major ace. Its just expensive to go invade Britain and maintain it.

sorry but check your history they didn't go very far because there was Scotish and Irish Celts along the way up.... and they battered them relentlessly

see the romans also built a wall to keep out barbarians ya know (in britain Hadrian's wall anyone??)
I already said that, the Romans saw nothing good in keep fighting the barbarians in an island in the middle of nowhere that hold no riches.There was other riches in other places more "easy" to get to and more worthy.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
No nukes? In that case Brittain is easily overshadowed by the US in terms of military technology and by China in terms of sheer numbers, and no country would able to win a war against the rest of the world.

In reality no country would be stupid enough to attack any nuclear superpower. Of course England certainly can be invaded, they probably just won't lose or, depending on the invading country, there will be nuclear war.

AdamAK

Jun 6, 2008
Give me one round, a rifle, and point me at London.
High five to whoever gets this reference.

I'm quite sure that Britain could be invaded by many countries. Saying it's impossible because of 'natural defenses' or 'awesomely trained infantry' is plain bollocks. There are plenty of places that could be used as landing beaches, assuming it wouldn't be done through the air. What are you going to do? Build Flak 88mm's everywhere? Britain's infantry isn't immortal. While they may be trained well, others have been trained quite well as well. It's not like Britain is the only country that provides military training..

Oh, and let's leave history out of this. Simply because there have been no serious attempts at invading Britain does not mean that it's impossible.

Edit:: Oh, and as a response to the "OLOLOL JUST NUKE THEM" posts, if you want to take over a country you're not going to nuke it. Nuking it would make it impossible to enter the land for decades.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Maraveno said:
oliveira8 said:
Maraveno said:
oliveira8 said:

sorry but check your history they didn't go very far because there was Scotish and Irish Celts along the way up.... and they battered them relentlessly

see the romans also built a wall to keep out barbarians ya know (in britain Hadrian's wall anyone??)
I already said that, the Romans saw nothing good in keep fighting the barbarians in an island in the middle of nowhere that hold no riches.There was other riches in other places more "easy" to get to and more worthy.
it does hold riches
Tell me what are those that the Romans did not find already in Gaul or the Iberian Peninsula?

What did Britain have that could be more important than hold the Mediterranean Sea so they could control all the trade in that sea. Or more important that than the exotic spices that came from the east?

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
Vanguard_Ex said:
JWAN said:
Vanguard_Ex said:
Does the word 'Helicopter' mean anything to you?
you need something faster
Speed is irrelevant. The question implies that England is hard to invade because of natural defences, i.e. water...but not when an aircraft is involved.
speed is ALWAYS a factor
beach landings or otherwise

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
It's more a question of weather or not it can be conqured.
oliveira8 said:
Tell me what are those that the Romans did not find already in Gaul or the Iberian Peninsula?

What did Britain have that could be more important than hold the Mediterranean Sea so they could control all the trade in that sea. Or more important that than the exotic spices that came from the east?
Well the greatest resource Britain had to offer to the Romans backe then were; Slaves, food, and riches. Contrary to popular belief Britaine does have several gold mines.

Fun Fact. Welsh gold is actually one of the most valuable types of gold in the world today.

Thanatos34

Mar 31, 2009
Zombie Badger said:
The only uninvadeable countries are Russia and Canada. Napoleon and Hitler got the shit kicked out of them trying to invade Russia, and when the US attacked Canada in the War of 1812, they lost and the Canadians burned down the White House.
Err, I think you got your facts mixed up there. It was the British that burned down the White House in the War of 1812, and the US is an entirely different, and far more powerful country now.

On topic: Of course it could be invaded and conquered. The US could do it, Russia could do it, possibly China.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Maraveno said:
oliveira8 said:
Maraveno said:
oliveira8 said:
Maraveno said:
oliveira8 said:

it does hold riches

there did not come much from the east in those days
Oh there was. But there was this big ass persian army in the way. Alexander the Great showed the world the riches from the East. But the Romans struggled with the Persians.

Then the crazy Emperors came, too many religions inside the Empire and you know the rest.