Poll: Can England be invaded

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
If we blocked up the beaches like in WW2, and laid sea mines etc, we would be pretty hard to attack, as getting heavy armored vehicles in would be near impossible...

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Mazty said:
Plus England has football hooligans. They're an army in their own right.
This, very much this. Anyone hearing 'AK 47's for eeeeveryone' in their head when they read it? :p

Oh god I love C&C Generals (eventhough the angry mobs were iraqi)

Bulletinmybrain

Jun 22, 2008
CaptainEgypt said:
Nmil-ek said:
If factoring in Airstrikes no, infantry wise the UK has always been difficult to topple we are a naturaly fortified island with whats considered one of the worlds strongest navy but a show of supperior force would make it a war of attrition.

If we think about our European/American Allies yeah we are pretty much untouchable.
Yeah, you don't fuck with British special ops, some of the best trained soldiers in the world. In my opinion, and as an American, they make our Marines and SEALS look like pussies.

But maybe that's because every Marine and SEAL I've ever met was just a jagoff with a tough guy complex.
Special ops can't do dick if they are bombed into submission. ;)

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
Of course we're not invulnerable, what a stupid question.

We do have a very well-trained armed forces and a fantastic navy but as far as military technology and sheer numbers are concerned we have bugger all.

Hawgh

Dec 24, 2007
It worked out pretty well for the vikings and the french(William the Conqueror) on seperate occasions.
Also, the poll and the available answers doesn't make sense.
At this time in history, where vehicles and weapons are leaping forward, the advantage of being on an island is diminished more and more.
In conclusion, it would be quite plausible for England to fall to an invasion, especially considering the vast numbers some likely invaders could present.

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
RedMenace said:
England vs The World? Dont make me laugh.

Paratroopers + air strikes + naval blockade. Hell, just a naval blockade would be enough, with no incoming resources an island nation will have to give in eventually (I'd give it 10 years).
I wouldn't even give us ten years, we import basically all of our food and oil so we'd be finished in a matter of months.

Vivaldi

Jul 26, 2008
Souplex said:
William the conqueror did it.

This, history for the win.

Im not sure, most global powers have banded together, so any kind of organized attack on one is almost garranteed to have major backlash by other superpowers :p

The Hairminator

How about no?
Mar 17, 2009
BudZer said:
It'd be incredibly easy considering it's just England. The Scottish and Welsh could join in, and clear it up for the French. The French could just ride over on a huge troop train from the Chunnel and raid London, sack the city, and bang, it's over. Of course that would require the French to win a war.

Perhaps the Americans could just station themselves in Paris.
And we all know the French have never won a war ;P. It's a law of nature, it can't happen.

Krall

Mar 3, 2009
Thanatos34 said:
On topic: Of course it could be invaded and conquered. The US could do it, Russia could do it, possibly China.
The USA? Yes. Russia? Doubtful. China? No.

China couldn't actually get to the British Isles, as it doesn't have a blue water fleet.

I doubt Russia is advanced enough and has the resources to establish air superiority over the British Isles and to decisively defeat the Royal Navy, so any landing they attempt would be likely to fail.

sabotstarr

Sep 4, 2008
Bulletinmybrain said:
Trivun said:
We have the greatest army in the world except on numbers (America and China beat us there). I'm sorry, USA, but it's true, we do have a better army, you simply beat us on numbers, but our technology is actually just as good as or better than yours on pretty much all fronts. The only problem is that cost cutting Labour don't like spending so hardly any sees the front line. If we did have that stuff out there instead of lying around in equipment stores back at Sandhurst, Cosford, Plymouth, Cranwell and everywhere else, then it's a widely held fact we would easily be able to beat the Americans in battle. As it happens, simply because of that we would be able to resist most attacks on our country (not counting nuclear warfare, but since we also apparently have nukes [I'm still slightly unsure there though] then everyone would lose there).

That said, no country, even America, is completely invulnerable. I know quite a bit about military tactics, warfare in general, the UK Armed Forces and have first hand experience of UK military training. But I can safely say that with a well trained and large enough force, we could still be invaded successfully. By the same token we could probably invade America (thank you, 'special relationship', take what you want, why don't you?). Love Actually reference in the brackets, by the way. No country is invulnerable, and the UK is no exception.

Schmee said:
England can be invaded, and has been a couple times. I'm fine in Scotland, so far unconquered, and since we werent included in the "invulnerable" statment then uhm, we could just walk over the border, invasion commences.
By the way, England hasn't been successfully invaded since 1066. Since then, the English have beaten the Scottish in several wars and it was only the rise of the Stuart monarchy that finally united the two countries. Hence your comment is historically BS. Sorry, but any history textbook will support my statement over yours.
The U.S has 298 ships. U.K has 105. You don't even want to know the aircraft carrier ration.. 11:2
This. When you can post 11 of the most advanced and deadly ships in the world around you(not to mention nuclear subs) then it is VERY hard to invade anyone. On topic, if everyone attacked Britain at once, no contest, just to many forces. One on one only Russia, China and the US could possibly take them.

weeman3000

Mar 29, 2009
Too many ignorant people claiming nazi germany wanted to invade brain....

Must..

Must resist telling people to pull their head our of their anus and read mein kampf... must, resis- fuck it, please read up on rudolf hess' original mission aswell which was to try make peace with england and bring them in as an ally. Hitler adored britain (sorry if that scares some of you out there)

Also, our nukes/missles come out of the water... thunderbirds style!

And anybody who thinks the EU isn't a superpower is kidding themselves. Combined, most countrys in the EU have more combat experience than america does nut stains, america dosn't even know its in a war untill something on home soil goes with a bang.

/flamesuit

EDIT: On topic (answers don't make sense by the way) i voted we're not invunerable because nobody is, nobody ever has been

Thanatos34

Mar 31, 2009
Krall said:
Thanatos34 said:
On topic: Of course it could be invaded and conquered. The US could do it, Russia could do it, possibly China.
The USA? Yes. Russia? Doubtful. China? No.

China couldn't actually get to the British Isles, as it doesn't have a blue water fleet.

I doubt Russia is advanced enough and has the resources to establish air superiority over the British Isles and to decisively defeat the Royal Navy, so any landing they attempt would be likely to fail.
Russia is quite a bit more powerful, and more of a threat, than most people give them credit for. (This is based mostly on my dad's opinion, who is an ex-submarine commander.)

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Can they be invaded? Yes. Quite easily at that.

Would it accomplish anything? No. There's very little in the way of natural resources on the British Isles. All the conqueror would get is a relatively small island nation that's pissed off at them.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
Maraveno said:
whaleswiththumbs said:
It wouldn't be impossible, unlike Scandinavia(those mountainous Euro rednecks, lol a new stereotype for all of ya). Germany could have done it in WWII if they felt like it, but they already had other countries to act as landfill.
You're also wrong
They tried and failed though they never landed any troops if I'm correct they tried long and hard to make an opening for their troops

History noobs....

PS: Where did you create that stereotype from?
The space between the back of my skull and the front of it.

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
Anyone could be invaded, but we all know that any full scale war in the future will be nuclear. Our submarine based nuclear detterant is capable of destroying any location we choose on this planet, and America, if you launched on us, we could have the entire eastern seaboard wiped from existence within three minutes and still have time for that last cup of tea before we all died. We also have the best trained troops in the world and some of the best equipped. And the SAS, who could forget those guys. Go England.