Poll: Can you build a PC?

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
Do enjoy PC building, something kinda theraputic about building a PC.

And honestly, it ain't that hard. Many, many guides knocking around the net. Typical mistakes are usually failing to buy certain bit cos you forgot, or blowing up sensitive parts with static.

And yes, I've done both of them. Earth yourself on the case kids, you'll be glad you did.

Kolosus

Apr 22, 2009
Yes, Yes i have. As a matter of fact. I build my first one 2 weeks ago. It couldn't have gone better =D

Specification:
Motherboard: ASUS P6T SE
Processor: Intel i7 950 @ 4x 3.1GHz (i'm looking for a cooler so i can overclock it to 3.5+ GHz)
RAM: Corsair 6GB (3 x 2GB) RAM @ 1600 MHz
PSU: Corsair 650 W
Video: GIGABYTE NVIDIA GTX 460 [http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/product-geforce-gtx-460-uk.html] 1 GB
HDD: 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD
ODD: Samsung 22x SATA DVD Burner

Screen: ASUS 23.6" 1920x1080 (It's a pretty great gaming screen)

My Waifu

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Sure, I'm typing on my netbook now but I built my photo editing/gaming rig, though truth be told its still the same PC I've had for the last seven years, it just has a new set of RAM, and a new Mobo, new CPU, new PSU, new heatsink, new optical drive, new keyboard, new GPU, new monitor, new OS, new speakers, new mouse, and a new case. But it's the same PC I built 7 years ago, just like my Grandfather's Axe.

Recently I upgraded from a C2D to a second hand Extreme Quad, while I was doing the swap, somehow my PSU cord came out, so all the borderline OCD case touching I was doing meant absolutely nothing. I fried my BIOS chip, luckily it was an old p35 mobo with a socketed BIOS (try finding one of those these days) and I was able to track down a replacement.

Also RAM timings are 5-5-5-12 starfox444 but they are only 1066 DDR2.

Reptiloid

Nov 10, 2010
I've replaced the power supply in my pre-built PC. It took me half an hour and I needed a friend to walk me through it. So... yeah. Not a chance in hell.

Lady Larunai

Nov 30, 2010
Haven't had the money recently.. last was 5 years ago.. hopefully will build a quardo for 3d later this year

ApeShapeDeity

Dec 16, 2010
I'm sure, without reading that this sentiment has been repeated, again and again...

It's NOT HARD. Anyone can do this. It's only add component to compatible compnent. Not like you have to design your own chips.

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
My PC was built by somebody else, but I have upgraded it with new parts and have had almost the parts taken out and put it back together. So if I had to built a new I could do it without must trouble.

Triangulon

Nov 20, 2009
Yeah a couple. My current is running on a Core 2 Quad Q6600 with an XFX GeForce 8800 GTX. Can't remember the rest off-hand. Can't decide when to upgrade/start again at the moment. Whether to go for an i5 setup now or wait for the new round of processors to get cheaper. To be honest, my rig runs everything at the moment with the exception of dx10/11 exclusives as I still use XP. Until I start missing out on games I really want I'll probably wait.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Hell i learnt how to in school.

It came in handy too, i worked in a city learning centre for a few months and had to disassemble and replace hardware in over 200 computers.
The amount of cuts i got on my fingers due to sharpe edges off the tower case and circuit boards was horrible..

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
Yup. I made the computer I'm using now with my dad when I was eight. I've replaced a lot of the shit myself since then buy damn, 'twas a good time.

meowchef

Oct 15, 2009
Currently in the middle of my second build. Have recently picked up the following:

ASRock 890FX Deluxe 4 Motherboard
4GB DDR3 Mushkin RAM
AMD Phenom II X6 Processor
ATI Radeon HD6970

Have a few more things to pick up before I rebuild this puppy.

Raioken18

Dec 18, 2009
I used to have a laptop, it was crappy from day one, and as soon as one piece of hardware was broken from poor design, the whole thing was useless. I took it to be repaired and they couldn't because it was welded together... and they wouldn't give me a refund because I had tried to have it fixed >_> sound logic.

Now I didn't directly build mine from scratch myself, however since the local pc store has very little business, they allowed me to stick around for a day and observe them making computers and talking about components and stuff with the staff.

So when I built mine I was stuck to a budget, (We modified a new computer my mum had had built by them because the only real thing it was missing was a graphics card because she had looked up one of their pre made gaming pc's and asked them to remove it, against their advice, to save on costs).

So I have a gaming PC, that had been modified to be a well performing work PC, that we then remodified to make back into a decent gaming PC.

Also I changed to a larger clear perspecs case, to allow the installation of a secondary fan, and a new battery. My mum freaked when I showed her lol.

ad4m101

Jan 17, 2010
Of course am on a computer science course so if I couldn't at least do that id be pretty damn screwed.

Cant be bothered to write up all my specs but in short.

phenom II 1055t
4GB dominator ram at 1600mhz
Saphire Radeon 6870

and my case bellow

Andantil

May 10, 2009
I know how to, and I've disassembled and reassembled dozens. I took a computer repair class at the career center in high school, it was very hands on; all the old PCs that the county schools got went through us. We had to make sure they worked then clean them, format them, and image them. We had a literal 8 foot high pile of PCs that we had to get through.

I didn't assemble my own PC, I've had it since just before I started the computer repair class.
Next PC I get I will assemble myself.