Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 6950
RAM: Corsair Dominator 8GB
HDD: Corsair SSD 60GB & 2x 1TB WDC
Power Supply: Chieftec Super Series 750W
Case: NZXT Phantom(black)

DeadEy3

Sep 1, 2010
i used to but now i'm into laptops...
last build was a 2.4ghz p4, 1gb ram, 6600gt.
my laptop is hp pavilion dv6 2.2ghz core2duo, 4gb ram, 4650 radeon.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Built Friday night while lying on my bed:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
Motherboard: MSI Fuzion 870A
Graphics Card: HIS Radeon 6870
RAM: 8Gb Corsair DDR3 1333
HDD: 200Gb Samsung & 250 WD Caviar SE (pulled out of old rig) + 1Tb WD external
Power Supply: CoolerMaster eXtreme Power 700W
Case: Silverstone Precision (black)

Nifty little unit that cost me under AU$1k and will easily last me until AMD releases it's 22nm desktop CPUs.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
DeadEy3 said:
i used to but now i'm into laptops...
last build was a 2.4ghz p4, 1gb ram, 6600gt.
my laptop is hp pavilion dv6 2.2ghz core2duo, 4gb ram, 4650 radeon.
It is possible to build a laptop from scratch but it's so much fucking around I wouldn't advise for anyone to do it unless they're being paid a large wad of cash for doing it... Hell, even finding components is a pain in the arse.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Wow. I was not expecting so many PC builders...

Fair enough. Kudos to you Escapist community, kudos.

I personally have not the faintest idea how I would go about doing it. That is why I play videogames on a console and use a Mac.

TheDandyHighwayman

Nov 18, 2009
Yes I have. I put it's pretty awesome if you ask me, due an upgrade soon though.
I put it in a dell case just for some irony, my Dad saw it and was all like "You got a dell *pfft*" and I was all like "crack it open" and he was all "ohhhh".. it feels good to out earn one's parents put together.

as for antics, I tend to build a lot of static easilly, esp. in my fingers (seriously I'm like a sith) so when I break stuff and don't know why, things get broken in other ways (hulk smash)

Kabutos

Oct 21, 2008
Yes I have.

I'm thinking about getting another GTX 460 for my birthday and throwing it in SLI.

Who needs a 580 when you could get two 460's?

JFuss said:
A GTS 450 doesn't do that computer justice.

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
I used to help operate a computer store out of my apartment a few years ago. I should hope I can build a computer from scratch!

MariusUt

Nov 10, 2009
I suppose I could make one if I had enough time and a truckload of transistors... the specs would suck, though.

olfelix

May 14, 2010
Yes I have. Can't wait to do it again.

Current build as follows:

Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 Motherboard
Intel Core i7-870 Lynnfield 2.93GHz
Corsair TR3X6G1333C9 XMS3 6 GB DDR3 (3 x 2GB)
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750 Watt
Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1 GB GPU
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB HDD
Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit System Builder OEM

I'd encourage anyone who's curious about it to just dive in. It's a lot of fun and there is plenty of resources for first-time builders out there.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
I moved to laptops and game consoles but yes in the past I would choose my own hardware and of course put it all together.

Good days they we're! Now as put above I only have a few older pc's around besides my laptop and consoles.

An old PIII 1,4Ghz
I belief over 512Mbyte memory
I still have to buy a HDD to I can start it up again
An old Geforce 4ti :) You know those.. good work horses.

Not sure what to do with it really it is a bit to slow for some things. I guess with the right software it could became a NAS + DVD ripper.

Hell last pc I put together had a AMD 64 3200+ Yup one of the first dual cores. Even did upgrade the video card to a don't laugh 7800 something. Just to get HDR :)

Good times but well you know I am older now so yeah less time more money to spend unto those things. Funny how that goes! I mean you have more money..but also allot more bills.

SofaEater

Jan 15, 2011
ahhhh, serveral times, I love making it....

but now I'm in college can't afford to make a new one. :( gotta get a whole new system you see. I have a DDR2 motherboard and crap, and an 8800 GT.

Oh money, I spend so much of you in hopes that one day you can't elude me there after......

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
starfox444 said:
Rationalization said:
Here's your solution: buy the parts from a local computer shop and pay them to put it together and you should get a warranty on the parts and labour. In a prebuilt computer you are paying extra money for generic, bad quality parts. I honestly can't say this enough: You are paying extra money for shit. Buying a prebuilt computer means you are almost always getting ripped off.
There is no local place that sells parts we got 2 best buys on either side of town. I had to order my parts through newegg. And I got the RAM from a circus like place an hour away where you have as good a chance of finding gold as you are the piece that makes it a bomb it's so bad.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Yeah I have built a number of PCs. It's very easy, a lot easier than some put it out to be.

My main PC uses are for gaming, PC gaming is by far the best kind, consoles really annoy me because there's nothing 'next gen' about them.

I currently have an I5 @ 3.7 Ghz, ATI 5970, 4 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Dominator RAM all on an Asus Maximus III.

P.S - If anyone needs any help to do with PC's, PM me or find me on Toms Hardware, i'm always happy to help.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I've stripped many computers down and re-built them. I'm so sick of it nowadays that when I upgrade I simply buy decent barebones PC's and either transfer stuff over from the old one or buy a few new essentials (like a graphics card).

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
Considering I know next to bugger-all about the inner-workings of PC's and am flummoxed by all the tech-talk, I do know enough to know what does what and what goes where.

In other words, yes I can and yes I have.

Although it wasn't done in one hit, my PC is now 100% built by my own fairly useless hands and so far it hasn't exploded. While I am sure some of you "hardcore" types would dismiss the specs as "intermediate", it does what I want it to do and it copes with everything I throw at it on a day-to-day basis.

Not bad for around £500 all in!

Here's the specs as I can recall them:

- Biostar G31-M7 TE motherboard
- E8400 Intel Core 2 Duo 3.00Ghz
- 4GB Team Elite 800Mhz DDR2 RAM
- nVidia GeForce 9600GT graphics card
- Evo Labs 650w switching ATX PSU
- CoolMaster case with 2x12" LED fans
- Bog-standard 150GB SATA HDD (Shut up! It's only about half-full so it's plenty big enough!)

If I wanted to upgrade further, I'd have to start with a new motherboard as it's now full to capacity. There is one spare PCI slot but, thanks to the close proximity of the PCI-E slot (and the size of the 9600GT that's slotted into it), it's physically inaccessible. So far it's not proving to be a real issue...

Wardy

triggahappyhaza

Aug 22, 2008
Yeah have built something along the lines of 200-300Pcs. My current one is my pride and joy!

Motherboard: Gigabyte X58A-UD5
Processor: Intel i7 930 @ 3.6GHz
RAM: OCZ 4GB (2x2gb would have had my 8GB but 2 sticks died on me somehow.)
PSU: Antec 900W PSU
Video: ATI Radeon 5970 2GB
HDD: 300GB Velociraptor Drive 3X1TB 7200RPM drives and a 500GB 5000RPM drive
ODD: 22x SATA DVD Burner
Case: Coolermaster HAF X

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Yes, and I've done it with most of the desktop systems where I actually had a say in what the computer was like. (and I've taken apart and modified just about every PC I've ever owned. I've even repeatedly upgraded my laptop, insofar as that's possible)

Aside from which I worked at laptop repairs for a while, so I can rebuild one of those from the ground up too. (Not that there's much point; Most laptop components are not standardised, so you can't upgrade them.)

My current PC is custom-built. (my previous computer is a laptop, but the previous desktop system I've owned is also custom-built.)

It's just what I do.

New PC? Oh, I'll build it myself.