Poll: Can You Do That Thing Where You Raise One Eyebrow But Not The Other?

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
there are people who claim to beat The People's Champion? The Rock doesn't believe that.
you just click on that poll option and don't even have the class to introduce yourselves? who are you guys?

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Yes, and better or on par with that picture. Been able to for as long as I can remember, but I can only raise my left eyebrow. Don't have the means to take a picture though, so take my word for it. ;P

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Lt._nefarious said:
So I was watching Oz and James
Off to a good, if strange start...

...ah, I may have misunderstood.

Anyway: "yes, can beat the rock, and on both sides too". But totally not up to the level of the Cadbury Kids.

Atrocious Joystick

May 5, 2011
Of course I have full control over my eyebrows. My father forced me to practice in front of a broken mirror while standing on glass until I got it right. Everytime I got it wrong he would beat me with a stick.

I learned to despise the old man until one day I couldn't take it anymore. So I knocked him out cold. When he woke up he looked at me, his eyes teared up and he called me "son" for the first time. That's when I knew I was man enough to make a woman carry my seed so she could give me a strong son of my own. And if he turns into some sort of eyebrow crippled sissy I'll drown him in a tub and start fresh.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I can raise my right one without too much trouble, but for some reason, I have an issue with raising my left one. :(

DktrAgonizer

Jun 7, 2010
I can raise my left eyebrow, and only a bit. Kinda sad because my mom can raise hers really high (I think she can beat The Rock), and I wish I could do the same. :p

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Lt._nefarious said:
So I was watching Oz and James Franco spends a lot of time with one eyebrow raised and the other not and I'm so jealous because after hours staring into the mirror I can only manage to slightly raise my right eyebrow without the other, and I can only do it in a mirror. It's infuriating, I really wish I could do it but even after trying I still can't work it. So I was wondering, can you, dear Escapists, raise one eyebrow independently? And if you think you can beat The Rock in terms of eyebrow raising power please give us a picture...
The trick isn't to raise one eyebrow while the other stays still. The trick is to raise one eyebrow while lowering the other. Note in your picture of the Rock - that's what he's doing (the non-raised eyebrow is actually lower than normal).

By raising one and lowering the other, you're using both eyebrow muscles (which makes it easier to do) and you make the effect look more extreme (by sending them in opposite directions) which is why it works. Leonard Nimoy does the same thing. In fact, I'm pretty sure that (Nimoy) is where the Rock learned it.

Detroit

Dec 22, 2012
After diligent training I am now able to move my left eyebrow. My right one cannot claim such mastery yet for it is little brash and unfocused.

DkLnBr

Apr 2, 2009
AnarchistFish said:
I can, but only with raising the right eyebrow. For some reason I can't do the same with the left. I'd say I can move them even more than in that picture though
Same with me, my right eyebrow can go so high it can touch my hairline (exaggeration, but I do lift it higher than Dwayne Johnson) but my left eyebrow cant do anything by itself

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Yes I can, and do it quite frequently. I'm actually surprised someone even asks this. I've always thought it's incredibly easy and that anyone can do it instantly. Guess not then.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Yesh! I have mastuhed teh rasing of teh right eyebrow!

It's sort of something I've started doing over the last few months. A few years ago I was really REALLY inexpressive. Like if someone told me they were raped or something my expression wouldn't change. I've sort of forced myself to stop looking apathetic over the years...

Aug 1, 2010
I can raise each independently higher than The Rock.

I can also do that frowny thing where I raise the outsides of both, but not the insides.

It's a good way to win arguments. People lose their train of thought quickly when their minds are being assaulted by the glory of my eyebrows.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I can, yeah, it feels easy and natural to me. Even higher than the Rock, and for both eyebrows (though I think I can raise my left slightly higher independently...)

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
wut. i wasn't even aware this was an issue for people. after reading the first page of replies i'm shocked that so many people seem to have a problem with this. i thought it was like asking 'who can raise one arm but not the other'. my reaction is wtf are you talking about? how is this even a question? who -can't- raise their arms independently? o_O same thing.

Bomberman4000

Jun 23, 2010
I started when I was younger with my left eyebrow and that was pretty easy because I'm left handed and that just felt right. It wasn't until about 5 years ago that I could do the right side too. I can't go Jim Carrey rapid fire with it, but I can hold my own.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
yes i can, all the time, part of my daily routine really. i do it because i am to lazy to actualy say:
"i am confused, please do explain." and "that had a comedic shockvalue, but not enugh to make me actually laugh" or just "you're an idiot".

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
The internet will not cooperate and provide pictures, but Christopher Judge does this so much better than the rock. It's like his thing.

As for myself, I do not post pictures of myself(because I'm lazy and also ugly) but I am fairly good at it with my left eyebrow. I used to be able to do with my right, just not as well, but now I've lost the skill. I could still do it but I'd need to spend a few hours in front of a mirror reminding my face how to do it, and even then it wouldn't be as good as my left. It's actually a fairly routine facial expression for me, don't really know why.
Luftwaffles said:
Always thought it was related to which side you are dominant on.

I can raise my right, but not left and am righthanded. Those who can perform the wave are demons and need jesus.

Imean look at this

I'm a righty and I can only raise my left. It might have to do with which eye is dominant. I'm left eye dominant, though like I said, I could do it with my right, just not as well, and I'd need to practice.