Poll: Can you multi-task?

Mr Box

Jul 8, 2011
Multi-tasking is an interesting concept that, as far as I can tell, doesn't get brought up much. What I find interesting is that it is commonly believed that women are better at it than men.
I actually ran a small experiment in a controlled environment to test peoples ability to multi-task, I had them wright a math quiz and text a friend at the same time. I found that women were able to complete the quiz faster than the men could, but if I removed texting the men would finish the quiz first.

So here is my question for you, do you believe you can effeciently multi-task?

EDIT:

After looknig at some of the responces this thread has received I thought I should give some more information on the experiment:

When only writing the math quiz both men and women finished faster than when they did the tasks at once. The results of the quiz (how many answers were correct) were about the same between both parties during both situations, it is worth noting that the average marks were slightly lower when texting as well as writing the quiz. Both parties took llonger to complete the quiz when texting but the time increase with men was much greater than with women. In the quiz some questions did involve 3d objects (draw the net of an object) which, as far as i'm aware and please correct me if i'm wrong, women do have more difficulty with.

Chasing-The-Light

Jul 16, 2011
Well, first off lemme state that I'm a chick, before I continue.

Second, I can multitask while doing some things, but not others. For example, I can listen to music and write at the same time, but I can't listen to music and read at the same time. Or... I can't write and talk on the phone at the same time. Those are really minute tasks, though...

I think it really comes down to the person, though. I could be wrong, though. I'm no scientist ^^;

Third, I think your experiment was a pretty interesting idea to test!

OakTaooper

Jul 24, 2010
I'm a guy, and I can multitask quite well.

It's pretty cool actually. It takes me forever to do math homework unless I'm playing video games, they actually help me ^_^ (shooters the most, RPG's just a little bit)

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Not really.

The best I can do is setting my alarm clock with my hands, whilst standing on one foot so my toes can turn on my tv and my console.

Unless passive things count. Like listening to music whilst IMing with people.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
Nope. I can work my mouse and keyboard at the same time, while gaming. That's about the extent of my multitasking abilities.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Ehhhhhh......not really....
Unless getting Saint AND Unbreakable in Dead Rising 1 at the same time counts...

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Oh yeah.

I'm a multi-tasking fiend! I can go up to three tasks at the same time, but anything more than that then I get distracted and I can't concentrate. Oh, and I'm a girl by the way.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Define multitasking. Various studies show that the human brain is not capable of true multitasking, only of performing a number of different functions in rapid succession and constantly switching back and forth between them. There is also solid evidence that this greatly reduces the quality of focus/learning/listening/work or whatever is being done.

I voted no as I believe in trying, as much as possible, to do only one thing well at a time... at least in terms of work :p

I do watch movies or tv shows while playing games and web browsing.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
When I was seven I was able to read a book (The real kind, no pictures), play my gameboy (Pokeymanns usually) and watch TV, and carry a conversation simultaneously, and effectively follow all of them.

Unstable Ark

Jul 26, 2011
I can apparently continue with whatever task I have without having to break conversation or concentration on the task. It kind of becomes second nature, kind of like driving without really focusing, but you are focused...wait, what?

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Of course I can- I finished Pikmin 1 with like 10 days to spare. That was a fun time, though- I think I'll go play Pikmin.

Let me think... Yesterday I was watching Iron Man 2 (And specifically looking for particular details, like that one Captain America comic, which after all that was in plain sight. Let down.), fighting Sleeping Table in Persona 3 Portable, and telling my sister, in no uncertain terms, that Shadowcat could kick Spiderman's ass any day, all at the same time.

(Sleeping Table was a *****, though. Thank god for that Mediarama skill card.)

KarlMonster

Mar 10, 2009
I can do it sure, but it sucks and I'd really rather not.

Multi-tasking is what employers ask you to do when they want to keep costs down and insist that they cannot afford to hire anyone else.

The truth is that with multitasking, you actually get less accomplished - or the work performed will be of lesser quality; depending on your situation.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Male, and yes I can. Depends on what it is though, I find it difficult to talk and write at the same time simply because the words I'm saying end up replacing the words I'm trying to write.

Sep 14, 2009
male, and yes very much so..

but it also depends on your definition of "multi-task"

on an average day i'll have netflix going from my tv with subtitles on, while i have a game windowed and i'll be on facebook chatting with a couple friends, and generally on the side i'll have my bowl of oatmeal/salad/hamburger and on top of that i occasionally do homework with it(i can't just sit and do homework, i have to have multitasks to take that other chunk of my brain from wandering off)

rarely ever do you see me NOT multitasking, in my head its a phobia, it makes me feel like i'm wasting time/energy when i'm not doing multiple things at once.

anANGRYkangaroo

May 15, 2011
I think Publilius Syrus put it best. ?To do two things at once is to do neither at all?
I am a man, and cannot multitask unless it is talking/listening to music while doing anything else.

Sorry capcha, my keyboard doesnt have kanji