Poll: Captain America: Civil War -- Choose your side!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
LifeCharacter said:
For those who disagree, citing Tony's failures does little more than prove Tony's point, which I imagine is the reason why MCU Tony isn't just some massive dick like he is in the comics.
I think the point proved by this is that Tony Stark should have been locked up a long time ago. Stark seems to be responsible for 80-90% of the chaos in the MCU. Hell, it seems like he mostly fixes problems he helped create in the first place, so there seems to be little danger to just taking him out. Further:

Redlin5 said:
LL7eIvDRrCk[/MEDIA]
This is the guy multiple government bodies has let walk. I think the anti-government sentiment in the real world often gets blown out of proportion to some really bad extremes, but the MCU's US government is completely incompetent and Tony's living, world-threatening proof. I wouldn't be surprised to see them let Thanos walk. Or at least Red Skull.

This is the same government whose first line of defense appeared to be "nuke New York." This only failed because another "top operative" defied them. Good thing Tony didn't screw up with that missile, though, as they had no plan B.

This does not tell me anyone in the MCU is capable of responsible oversight, so it's hard to call it an argument for accountability. It seems like it's an argument for letting the biggest screwups have the most dangerous toys.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
mduncan50 said:
I'm not sure that the gun comparison necessarily works. In some cases, sure, these people are using weapons (Iron Man, War Machine, Hawkeye, Ant-Man) and you could say they need to be following specific guidelines if they want to continue using those weapons. But what about someone like Scarlet Witch or Spider-man? They are the weapon. They can't just turn it in. And they are being told that so long as they have these powers they must be used as dictated by the government and/or military.
But one could argue: does it even matter?

I mean, if Tony Stark can kill someone by shooting them with a repulsor ray, and this other hero can kill them by shooting lightning from their hands, does it really matter? Both of them are still essentially weapons capable of causing great destruction, and it seems logical that they should be regulated at least as much (if not more so) than a pistol.

But I'm curious to see how it is that Tony ends up on the side of "we need to be regulated", since in the movies he's usually the one who comes across as "I don't trust the Government/live and let live", while Cap is much more of the "whatever the US Govt tells me to do is the right thing" (though obviously I'm sure that faith has been shaken since Winter Soldier).

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
aegix drakan said:
Although I REALLY have to take issue with the fact that by doing what he's doing, the Cap is basically proving Stark's point. :s
You could really say that Stark's side is proving Cap's point as well. Because they're not willing to kowtow to the government's whims they are being hunted down to imprison them.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Freedom! Liberty! 'murica!

No, really. Without them, what are we? We'd just be a hive-mind, controlled by queens and kings, with no way to deal with emergencies ourselves. Absolute power corrupts absolutely; we cannot let anyone have that.

Also, Captain America is handsome as can be, while Iron Man is a jerk.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Gotta go with Rober...I mean Iron man.

Though I have not read the comics so I don't really now the details from that and all I got is vague stuff about regulations and such.

But yeah some kind of regulation on the guys/gals that can wipe cities of the map with their minds.

I will admit that Cap's side has valid points too.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
LifeCharacter said:
Their first line of defense against a massive alien invasion was to destroy their beachhead in our world and stop the invasion. It was either that, or let the Chitauri destroy the city themselves and then spread out.
Isn't this one of the big problems though? The people making these decisions are 1%ers that are miles away from the actual fighting and danger, whereas the Avengers are in the thick of it and have a better idea of what is happening and how to fix it.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
If I have super powers in this scenario I choose Team Cap.

If I am just me I choose Team Stark.

It's why both sides are logically valid I suppose, I want me freedom completely unrestricted regardless of how it effects others, but I don't want others to effect me.

Normal human selfish point of view.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I do think it's a little hypocritical how people call out Iron Man for being kind of far sighted in that he can't see the problems in front of the solution when Cap is always committing the other extreme.

We can't be registering heroes because then my friends will get screwed over!

Errrrrr Cap, as much as I respect your loyalty, they're YOUR friends. Mine was that dude Bucky chucked into a jet engine in the last film.

WonkyWarmaiden

Jun 15, 2010
I'm on Black Panther's side so I guess that means I'm Team Iron Man. As far as we know, at least.

I have to wonder how the government, or whoever's running the show now, intends to keep powered people in check.

I also wonder if the fact that Bucky might have killed Tony's parents will play a part at all in how things go down. If it does I worry about what kind of effect that will have on Cap and Tony's friendship. I mean of course Bucky was brainwashed by Hydra at the time but I don't see Tony letting him go just because Bucky is Steve's friend.

All I know is I can't wait until Civil War comes out.

mduncan50

Apr 7, 2009
LifeCharacter said:
The nuclear missile is literally the thing that destroyed the Chitauri control ship. Obviously it took a little more than that since it needed to be aimed up the portal, but there it is. You can certainly fault them for not waiting for the brainwashed scientist to be freed and provide crucial intelligence needed to close the portal, but that's an awfully specific thing to wait for as an invading army is held at bay by the convenient staggering of their forces into manageable waves.
Bottom line is that if Tony hadn't flown that nuke through the portal, New York city would have been wiped out, and the invasion force would have kept coming. Even if the nukes did destroy the troops in the area, you already see that there's a whole lot of backup coming, and we're given no reason to believe that that's anything more than the tip of the iceberg for what the Chitauri could send out way. How many cities do you need to nuke until they're defeated? Do we even have enough missiles?

And yes, once they found a way to shut down the portal they reported it to Fury, but the weapon had already been launched.

PunkRex said:
I do think it's a little hypocritical how people call out Iron Man for being kind of far sighted in that he can't see the problems in front of the solution when Cap is always committing the other extreme.

We can't be registering heroes because then my friends will get screwed over!

Errrrrr Cap, as much as I respect your loyalty, they're YOUR friends. Mine was that dude Bucky chucked into a jet engine in the last film.
Can you really blame Bucky for that? He was under the control of a government agency...which is exactly the situation that Cap is trying to prevent for everyone else.

WonkyWarmaiden

Jun 15, 2010
MarsAtlas said:
The nuclear missile is literally the thing that destroyed the Chitauri control ship.
Its the only thing that attacked the control ship too, so we don't actually have a baseline so estimate its damage threshold. We don't have that because nobody was concerned with attacking the ship. Instead, everybody was concerned with closing the portal. If the portal is closed the Chitauri invasion fails. Nobody ever needed to destroy their army (which they surely didn't do anyways) they just needed to stop the invasion by closing the portal. Same thing happened a year later in Pacific Rim. They didn't need to destroy the alien invaders, just the portal that they're coming from.
They didn't attack the ship because it was in space and the only way to get to it was through the portal, which most of the Avengers couldn't reach or survive going through.

Natasha was about to close the portal until the Tony found out about the nuke, she had the scepter in hand. They used the portal to get rid of the bomb and the Chitauri army. Better to destroy the attacking army than to close the door on them, they couldn't be sure that the Chitauri wouldn't just find another way to Earth eventually.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Having read the comic beforehand, I find it hard to answer the question whole heartly given that is no "real" superheroes or does Pheonix Jones and those real life superheroes count?

If I have to picked a side (unlike a "Grey Jedi" between a Sith and a Jedi) I would be with Team Iron Man. By all means I don't competely trust the government but I wouldn't want the superheroes to be simply be vigilante depending on how they view "justice". I mean professions like fightfighter and police officers have to be train and in some way control it than to simply self train and then declared themselved to be fire fighter or police officier.

If superheroes were real and I was one of them, having funding from the government would be a nice peak unless there is some kind of foundation/ organisation that support superheroes fundings.

Honestly, I would rather have it a netural/ both option in that they just simply work together (the government AND the superhero community) and cooperate and to achieve a common ground for a better tomorrow!

EDIT- Geez, what with the people playing a "what if" devil advocate over that frictional scene! It doesn't matter what could/ should of happened, it was WRITTEN that way!