Poll: Chad Knaus said the F word on National TV. Should Someone Be Fined?

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
Those of you who know me well know I love motorsports. All varieties. It just so happened I caught the beginning of the Coca-Cola 600 (Meaning 600 miles), NASCAR's 24 hours of LeMans style endurance. My Favorite driver in the series is Jimmie Johnson (still have faith he can win a 6th season), but it has been a rough year for him.

Well, due to NASCAR's rules, you are not allowed to rebuild your engine before a race, after qualifying. That means, by the end of a 600 mile race, the motor has over 800 miles on it. For a high displacement large bore V-8, that means untold stresses that would kill a street motor before it reached 8 miles, much less 800.

Well, 7 laps from the finish, (A little over 2.25 miles per lap) Jimmie Johnson's motor blew up. (That is technical terms for something in the motor giving way, whether he blew a head gasket, cracked a piston rod, or anything in between) Some genius at Fox's broadcast central thought it would be a great idea to get crew chief and driver reactions, and put their Radio communications on the air, live.

The first words to be audible are Crew Chief Chad Knaus'

"You have got to be Fucking KIDDING me!"

Now, I have had an engine give out on me, and trust me, that is NOT an overreaction. I imagine the actual conversation went something like:

Jimmie Johnson: My engine just blew up.

Chad Knaus: You have got to be Fucking KIDDING me!

Jimmie Johnson: No shit! I have no oil pressure and it is running rough!

Now, NASCAR will inevitably hand out a fine for this, as they have to drivers in the past, but imagine if a football coach was shouting at his QB and they cut to a live feed and he was heard to shout "Throw the fucking ball!" Do you think the NFL would fine him? Is it any different?

So my Question to you is this: Should he be fined, and if so, should the sound producer who allowed it also lose their job, since they are the one who put it on national TV knowing that something bad could be said?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I approve of Fuck spoken in media. If thine ears are offended, tuneth out and leave everyone else to their good times.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Naw. People say that in the real world, believe it or not.

(first post to not use profanity)

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
The people who decided they should air live commentary from an over stressed team that just lost a race without crossing the finish line should be fined.

Seriously, what did he EXPECT they would say?

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Fuck is just a fucking word. It's not like kids won't start saying it on their own. The fear that something will corrupt the youth is a fucking stupid one. It's always going to happen, it's just a matter of when. It's actually worse if they never figure shit out.

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
Fuck no. Not just because it's not a big deal anymore to say it, but ESPECIALLY because he had NO way of knowing what he was saying went live on TV! It's fucked up, and in the police world (Norway anyway) it wouldn't be looked kindly upon (what the TV station did I mean).

Thamous

Sep 23, 2008
It.Is.A.Word.
God forbid someone hear fuck because we all no no one ever says it in real life.
Absolutely no one was harmed in way whatsoever. Why the hell should he be fined?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Depending on the who the coach plays for, the league might not do anything.

I suppose so, if there's a precendent, chad should be. The sound board guy, i would say no. That would be like saying if a reporter should be fired if someone he pulls aside for an opinion just said something like "this fucking sucks shit head, what the hell do you think ******?"

hell, I remember once (I think) Sidney Crosby looked like he swore, and they didnt have the sound go to him, put it looked like he mouthed it, and they wanted to fine him. and it was after something had happened that would piss anyone off.

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
That's a pretty damn understandable time to say fuck. I don't think he should be fired or even fined. Especially since it was live and he didn't know someone cut to what he was saying at the time.

I very much doubt any NASCAR fans were so shocked by hearing the word fuck they dropped their monocle into their champagne glass. Its just a damn word, and if you can't handle that then you aren't grown up enough to be watching NASCAR anyway. People getting into serious crashes and dieing is more shocking than a word most 4th graders use all day when at school.

Apr 28, 2008
Really?

Its just a fucking word.

No they shouldn't get fined/lose their jobs. The racer's reaction was perfectly reasonable. And the sound guy probably did what anyone else would do. They saw a racer getting angry, and tried to catch his reaction to see if it was anything interesting that could be replayed on replays later.

I mean seriously, everyone acted as you'd expect. I mean... seriously, fuck dude.

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
Fuck the fucking shit?

Fuck no. Fuck is a fucking word with a fuckload of uses. Treating people like they're three and can't say a fucking word is nothing short of completely fucked up.

Febel

Jul 16, 2010
Who gives a fuck? So that fucker said fuck on fucking television. It's not like anybody fucking cares.

lacktheknack said:
Naw. People say that in the real world, believe it or not.

(first post to not use profanity)
Well look at you mister fucking clean.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
CannibalRobots said:
No, nobody should care, its just a fucking word.

FUCKING EDIT: Everyone says Fucking anyway, and we're expected to care when some fucker says it on television? Fuck that shit.

(This post was brought to you by the letter F)
it isn't 40 minutes into Monday and my day has already been made! I tip my hat to you.

---

If anything, the guy in the sound room who put up the audio feed should be fined. How did he think JJ and crew were going to react? As has been said above though, it's just a fucking word.

I now present to you Mr. Lewis Black with his views:

Kevonovitch

Apr 15, 2009
fox news, and F-word....wow, saw that coming YEARS ago :p

and he said it on air? OH NOES! what a fucking nightmare /eyeroll.

KoalaKid

Apr 15, 2011
I am going to have to join in on the cussing, its just to fucking fun not to.

fuck the fuck no he fucking shouldn't get fucking fined pussy dick balls titties. everyone should get to enjoy saying the word fuck.

Also I would like it if people said the word titties more because that's funny to me....titties.

spectrenihlus

Feb 4, 2010
Man up who the hell voted yes. On topic, I say no because it is just silly. If kids have never heard the F word before they would more than likely just ignore it.