Poll: Choose your weapon!

King of the Sandbox

& His Royal +4 Bucket of Doom
Jan 22, 2010
Ok, here's the deal;

1. You're stuck in medieval times.
2. You're conscripted by the lord of the land into his army.
3. You are going into battle soon against enemies you don't know anything about.
4. You'll be killed for desertion.
5. You're allowed to choose a standard medieval weapon you wish to take into battle. Nothing rare or fancy, just from the basics, swords, shields, pole arms, bows, etc.
6. You can just take one weapon (plus a shield if you like).

What weapon do you take and why?

Me? I want a nice long Halberd. That way I can stick it to people from beyond sword range, while still getting my armor covered in blood.

Dec 14, 2009
Considering I've had no martial weapon training, I'd probably go with a crossbow. Any idiot can use one of those.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Spear and Shield.

I can't use either of them (I know some staff stuff I guess), but from what I've heard of those times, shields and spears were a pretty big tactical advantage. Spears allow you to keep somebody at a distance, and they can take down riders. Shields block arrows and any weapon that gets inside your spear range. Spears can also be thrown if they're built for it.

Swords are more of a sidearm weapon in a big battle, it seems. Their range would be a horrible thing to try to overcome when facing spearmen, horsemen or archers. In fact, facing anyone except somebody else with a sword or knife would be tough.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Tell you what I'd take, The twelve-gauge double-barreled Remington. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Ok ok, I may have just watched those movies. What I actually would take is just a really fancy looking sword, something that screams i'm too important for someone like you to kill me so don't even bother.

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
Pararaptor said:
The giant laser death cannon I brought with me in the time machine.
So, you'll be wandering around on the battle field going "Zzzzap!" while pointing your finger at people?

That just may be effective, as they may think you mad.... and contagious. lol

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Considering I've had no martial weapon training, I'd probably go with a crossbow. Any idiot can use one of those.
Crossbows are actually really difficult to use. You have to build up alot of muscle in your arms and such, Men who used them had alot of training from quite a young age generally.

King of the Sandbox

Jan 22, 2010
legion431 said:
An rpg, seriously longsword 20 meters away vs rpg, your going to lose
Except the rpg doesn't exist back then. You can go into Captain Deathbeam's camp, up there, though.

And I didn't think I really had to clarify, but no modern weapons. Only medieval stuff.

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
I believe you underestimate what it takes, to use a crossbow properly - I myself tried, and can't even wind one up, let alone hit things that are more than point-blank range away.

As for myself, I'll go with what I use in life-roleplay / battle-reinactment anyway - nice, light rapier and a buckler / swordbreaker in the left hand. (Sure that's not exactly great, when stuck in the middle of two shieldwalls, but big battles, after the initial charges are made, tend to break down into a big chaotic brawl, where your chances are better, the faster your moving, and where you easily get stuck / overrun, when trying to hit stuff with your 11 foot spear - those are fine for withstanding the first assault, but once ranks are broken, anything that is too long, or too heavy to be used at knife-point range, is useless, in my experience anyway.

legion431

Mar 14, 2010
gagagagagagaga said:
legion431 said:
Except the rpg doesn't exist back then. You can go into Captain Deathbeam's camp, up there, though.

And I didn't think I really had to clarify, but no modern weapons. Only medieval stuff.[/quote Sorry, okay then, crossbow. still going to win at a 20 meter range

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
From those options? Ranged weapons trump Melee anyday in those sorts of fights if you've got a good arm and aim. But lack of a shield or decent armor also leaves you open to other arrow fire, both really have high risks but melee fighters are much more prone to being ganked by the enemy.

legion431

Mar 14, 2010
legion431 said:
gagagagagagaga said:
legion431 said:

And I didn't think I really had to clarify, but no modern weapons. Only medieval stuff.

Dec 14, 2009
Zannah said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I believe you underestimate what it takes, to use a crossbow properly - I myself tried, and can't even wind one up, let alone hit things that are more than point-blank range away.

As for myself, I'll go with what I use in life-roleplay / battle-reinactment anyway - nice, light rapier and a buckler / swordbreaker in the left hand.
Yes, I know, they are pretty hard to load, but in terms of actually hittingsomething, bearing in mind that none of us know how to use melee weapons in real life combat, I'm gonna go with the closest thing to a gun at the time.

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Yes, I know, they are pretty hard to load, but in terms of actually hittingsomething, bearing in mind that none of us know how to use melee weapons in real life combat, I'm gonna go with the closest thing to a gun at the time.
The point I was going at, is that "close to a gun" in medieval ages means, that most of uss (including myself, and I consider myself quite well trained with most medieval weaponry) won't hit anything smaller than a brick wall, and since your only given one weapon, chances are youll get into melee really fast, without the means of defending yourself.