Poll: Collector or normal edition?

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
always normal
with one exception

the collectors version of Record of Agrest War came with a jell filled mouse pad which I wanted for completely orthopedic reasons.

Azulito

Jan 1, 2009
Depends on the game and wether I feel it'd be a worthy.

I have to admit, in terms of games, the only one I've bought is the one for nev Vegas (I have the 1540'th out of 3400, according to the sicker on the front) I'm actually pretty impressed with the content, I expected some cheap ass plastic items but everything had weight to it and had really good quality feel to them.

As for future ones... If it has worthwhile content and I have the money, then most likely I'll get it if I'm a fan of the games.

Suprisingly I've been quite pessimistic about new vegas but I still went ahead and got the collectors edition. xD

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
mixed views for me, it totally depends on the game, and how much I will play it.

Ashcrexl

May 27, 2009
funny story. i wanted to buy CoD:MW2 on ebay and didnt care what edition i got, just the cheapest one. I got the Prestige Edition for CHEAPER than the cheapest regualar edition! why? i have theory. no one fucking cares about an extra art book and a metal case, so the demand was so low, no one bid as high on it as they did for the regular. To this day, the only collector's edition i have ever gotten.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
Depends on how hyped I am for the game prior to it's release, and what's promised in the collector's edition. Even if the collector's edition inspires little more than a 'meh', I might get it because I love the franchise.

just ban me

Sep 19, 2010
I have bought a few collector's editions and it's mostly depends on the game or some I planned to get the normal long after a release and still have the collector's version for the same price or maybe 10 dollars more like when I got Fallout 3 so get it that way but honestly I rarely get the CE of games.Just got maybe Fallout 3, Saint's Row 2, God of War 3 and now Fable 3

Alkore

May 25, 2009
most of the games i really want to get the only thing i really want to get is the artbook every thing else just seems like i would look at for five minutes and forget about 5 min later.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
I've never bought a collector's edition of a game. And I don't think I've bought a collector's edition of anything else for that matter. I'm just not that interested in the various nicknacks that come with them.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
Depends on the content I'm getting with it. Some games just give you a few in-game extras, so I avoid them. Anyone remember how Empire: Total War was given extra units that were released later for dirt cheap as DLC?

Now, others are worth it, in my opinion. I bought the Collectors for both Burning Crusade and Warhammer Online. The art books more than made up for it.

Shraggler

Jan 6, 2009
I never buy collectors editions and people who actively pine for them totally rub me the wrong way. "Ooh, I have a metal case to store my plastic, dime-a-dozen CDs in"; "Ooh I have book of artwork by the design team that doesn't actually look like the environments I'm playing in anyway" (WoW anyone? Concepts barely resemble the final developed product. It's like incest after six generations.) "It only cost another sixty bucks." Jesus. Are you really going to ever use those things? You're going to sit in your back yard one day, smoking a cigar with a nice Sancerre, flipping through a game's art book? Really?

Unless the Asylum team gives me a real fucking Batarang or the Fallout team lets me mail in for a Rock-it launcher, collectors editions can shove it.

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
I'd say it depends more on the contents of the collectors edition then the game. I mean, if the game is good, I'll buy one of the editions no matter what. If the game sucks, I won't.

It really comes down to if the collectors edition is priced fairly based on what it comes with. New Vegas, for example, came with a sweet deck of cards, some "meh" poker chips (but one big metal one that clinks really loud if you're one of those badasses that sits around flicking a coin all day), a really fucking pretentious and uninformative making of video (I'm sorry, but they just kinda seemed to act like every single thing they couldn't do because of technological limitations, was actually on purpose for artistic value. Also they make it seem like Vegas is way more populated.), and a really short, but really cool graphic novel about what happens right before the game. You get this all for $20, which is relatively close to how much I honestly think it should cost.

But the reason I say not to buy it for the game is because of games like Halo and CoD having these ridiculously expensive editions with just one really cool thing. I got the Halo 3 one because I thought the helmet was cool, and I will never waste that much money again. Just look at Halo and CoD's wallet destroying editions.

Halo 3
Legendary Edition: $130
Extra Stuff (Total - $60): $70
Specific Extra Contents (and estimated cost):
-1 Silly Helmet that has been sitting in my room for years. ($20)
-1 Making of DVD (Free Online)
Amount Overpaid (Extra Price - Total Estimated Cost): $50

Halo Reach
Legendary Edition: $150... WTF!?
Extra Stuff: $90!!!
Specific Extra Contents:
-4 or 5 Fucking MacFarlane Action Figures ($40 bucks tops)
-Flaming Spartan Helmet (Useless in game aesthetic, plus it gets you killed and shows you're either a rich douche or your parents bought the game for you so $0)
-Extra Elite Armor (Useless in game aesthetic that is barely used... maybe $5)
-A couple of stupid documents (Free Online)
Amount Overpaid: $45

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Prestige Edition: $150... AGAIN WTF!?
Extra Stuff: $90
Specific Extra Contents:
-Artbook (Free Online)
-Original Call of Duty (Free on PC... but for the non-pirates I'll say $5)
-Night Vision Goggles (Can only see up to 50 ft... WTF... I'll be generous and say $60 dollars tops)
Amount Overpaid: $25

So yeah, don't let your fanboyness convince you into buying this crap.

Hateren47

Aug 16, 2010
Give me a little figurine I can put on a shelve and I will probably buy the Collectors Edition.

pat34us

Sep 18, 2010
TheSEPH88 said:
For me it depends heavily on wich game it is and what the collectors edition[CE] includes.
If the CE only contains a small artbook or weapon/skin in game then I will just get the regular version. What really gets me sold on CE are:
- Action figures.
- Maps (preferably made out of cloth).
- In game quests and story arcs.
- Posters.
This, it depends on the cool stuff that comes with it, New Vegas has a lot of cool stuff so I got it, Black ops (hardened) has extra maps. It also depends on the game, if its a series I am a huge fan of it really doesn't matter I will get the CE edition when I preorder.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
I prefer to get the regular edition of everything and spend the price difference on more games. I collect games, not game related memorabilia.

Aylaine said:
I like goodies, like action figures, comics, art books, or music CD's. That's why I bought SCII's CE, because it also came with the first 2 games for free in a super neat USB Drive. <3
Well, that one makes sense to me because you get other games as well as memorabilia. So if the collectors edition comes with extra games or significant DLC I would consider it.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
I'm a sucker for special-edition. Don't know why, I just am. However if I'm broke, I'll just get the regular edition. And if that's the case, it's a good thing to pre-order. Most games these days have pre-order extras that don't cost more money.

3AM

Oct 21, 2010
I already have way too much stuff. I'll take the normal edition, and in all honesty I prefer my games digital. I'm very good about my backups.