Poll: Colour or Color?

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
cp.06 said:
Digikid said:
I spell it the CORRECT way. COLOR.
I'm sorry, what language are you speaking? OH that's right! ENGLISH.

If the Americans can't be bothered to make their own language then at least have the common courtesy to leave OUR language (for I am English) in it's right, and proper form. Why do you feel the need to remove letters and add 'Z's to everything which previously had an 'S'?

Another example: Ass = Another name for a donkey. Arse= Bum.

Leave our language be!
LOL!!!! Oh I am sorry that I spell COLOR the correct way. You see I love it when you guys like to push your FAVORITE way of speaking unto others when it is indeed the wrong way.

You remind me of those morons who called a Z a Zeeee when it is ZED.

LOL!!!

I will speak and type how I was taught. I personally do not give a rats ass if it butchers a language or not.

yoda3d2

Feb 13, 2010
Digikid said:
cp.06 said:
Digikid said:
I spell it the CORRECT way. COLOR.
I'm sorry, what language are you speaking? OH that's right! ENGLISH.

If the Americans can't be bothered to make their own language then at least have the common courtesy to leave OUR language (for I am English) in it's right, and proper form. Why do you feel the need to remove letters and add 'Z's to everything which previously had an 'S'?

Another example: Ass = Another name for a donkey. Arse= Bum.

Leave our language be!
LOL!!!! Oh I am sorry that I spell COLOR the correct way. You see I love it when you guys like to push your FAVORITE way of speaking unto others when it is indeed the wrong way.

You remind me of those morons who called a Z a Zeeee when it is ZED.

LOL!!!

I will speak and type how I was taught. I personally do not give a rats ass if it butchers a language or not.
im pretty sure its zead :p

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
It does not even MATTER....that is the funny part. As long as the communication gets through who really gives a damn about how it is spelled?

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
James Joseph Emerald said:
I don't understand this sentiment:

Gerrawn said:
The Brits say colour. Their language, their rules.
TheEnglishman said:
Colour, cause it's the correct spelling.
PatrickXD said:
Stop taking away letters for no reason, an Englishman made English as a language, a tool of communication. Don't fix what isn't broken.
The Brits just ripped off the Old French word "color"
The French ripped off the Latin word "color"
Which came from the Old Latin word "colos", which means 'covering'.
(source: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=color )

So, essentially the British just jammed a U in there and declared it the 'correct' way of spelling the word.

Now, being Irish I spell it with a U, but I say kudos to the Americans for taking the word back to its roots. And screw the Brits for not being original, and then having the gall to get uppity about it.
You get all bitchy at British for spelling elements the correct way too? Last time I checked Aluminium is the correct way of conjugating an element, however the Americans use Aluminum because it's easier, same with Sulphur, which Americans call "Sulfur" :p

Jun 16, 2010
Pilkingtube said:
You get all bitchy at British for spelling elements the correct way too? Last time I checked Aluminium is the correct way of conjugating an element, however the Americans use Aluminum because it's easier, same with Sulphur, which Americans call "Sulfur" :p
Actually, the guy who discovered Aluminium originally spelled it "aluminum".
(source: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=aluminum)

Pwnt.

Anyway, if you want to rip on Americans for being stubborn, rip on the fact that they're the only nation other than Liberia and Myanmar to not use the metric system. And that's only because Liberia used to be an American colony for 'freed slaves', and Myanmar is run by crazed fascist dictators.

persona J said:
its the ENGLISH language so the ENGLISH way is right
Point being, is that the English ripped off just about every other language and made minor changes to it. There really is absolutely no grounds the English have to stand on for attacking other countries for doing the same.

It's like someone writing a novel entitled "Harry Pooter and the Philanderer's Stone" and getting all pissed off and shouting "I invented the novel! Get your own ideas!" when somebody makes fanfiction of it.

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
Pilkingtube said:
Actually, the guy who discovered Aluminium originally spelled it "aluminum".
(source: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=aluminum)

Pwnt.

Anyway, if you want to rip on Americans for being stubborn, rip on the fact that they're the only nation other than Liberia and Myanmar to not use the metric system. And that's only because Liberia used to be an American colony for 'freed slaves', and Myanmar is run by crazed fascist dictators.

persona J said:
its the ENGLISH language so the ENGLISH way is right
Point being, is that the English ripped off just about every other language and made minor changes to it. There really is absolutely no grounds the English have to stand on for attacking other countries for doing the same.

It's like someone writing a novel entitled "Harry Pooter and the Philanderer's Stone" and getting all pissed off and shouting "I invented the novel! Get your own ideas!" when somebody makes fanfiction of it.
Actually the guy that discovered it called it Alum to be exact, not Aluminum. It was edited later to Aluminum, then corrected to Aluminium. Americans use the easier word to say though, the guy was English not American, so really people should use the English word, but stubborn people are stubbon. Also if I wanted to rip on Americans for being stubborn, i'd take the piss out of the fact they still kill people in Electric chairs and inject them with lethal chemicals.

Jun 16, 2010
Pilkingtube said:
Actually the guy that discovered it called it Alum to be exact, not Aluminum. It was edited later to Aluminum, then corrected to Aluminium.
I know. You just got that from the article I showed you. And if you look carefully, "alum" is ripped straight from Old French, which was adapted from the Latin word "alumen"
(Source: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=alum). So, again, Aluminium was known about since ancient times as a bitter salt used as a dye. Some English bloke just included it as a base element and slapped on a new stolen name.

Double Pwnt.

The fact of the matter is that making prissy claims about English being "butchered" is unbelievably hypocritical. English itself is a butchery of every language that came before it, created for no reason other than the country's rampant imperialistic egotism.

Pilkingtube

Edible
Mar 24, 2010
Pilkingtube said:
Actually the guy that discovered it called it Alum to be exact, not Aluminum. It was edited later to Aluminum, then corrected to Aluminium.
I know. You just got that from the article I showed you. And if you look carefully, "alum" is ripped straight from Old French, which was adapted from the Latin word "alumen"
(Source: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=alum). So, again, Aluminium was known about since ancient times as a bitter salt used as a dye. Some English bloke just included it as a base element and slapped on a new stolen name.

Double Pwnt.

The fact of the matter is that making prissy claims about English being "butchered" is unbelievably hypocritical. English itself is a butchery of every language that came before it, created for no reason other than the country's rampant imperialistic egotism.
OK. One, this is the Escapist, not 4chan, don't run around forums typing Pwnt or Double Pwnt please. Two, I've not made a claim, hypocritical or not about English being "butchered" I don't believe it is possible to butcher a language because all it is, is communication. If it gets the point across then it has served its purpose. As such I doubt that the English created a language for "no reason other than the country's rampant imperialistic egotism."

Calm down, take a step back, and realise this is the Escapist, where people are friendly and everybody fears moderator wrath ;)

(Note: This isn't to say that i'm above saying stupid things, but I realise that all this has turned into is a silly flame war between people over something as random as how to spell a word."

Jun 16, 2010
Pilkingtube said:
Calm down, take a step back, and realise this is the Escapist, where people are friendly and everybody fears moderator wrath ;)
I didn't know people actually still used "pwnt" seriously. I said it ironically to try and lighten the mood. (Which you kinda ratcheted up in the first place by implying I was bitchy :p)

As for national egotism. I'm pretty sure Latin was a pretty functional means of communicating. English ripped off way more than they added. We should be calling it "Neo Latin", and it should be the Romans complaining about the bastardisation of their language, not the English.

Though that's more directed towards the sentiment held in this thread, rather than you personally. I hate it when people are snotty about stuff which is actually completely unfounded. It's the same with religious nuts.

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
My Language Arts teacher told me that you can spell it as either "colour" or "color" in Canada. I spell it "colour", because I'm not lazy.