Poll: Contraception

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
The implant is pretty awesome, isn't it?
I only used condoms a few times when I was 14-15. Haven't since, in spite of having had quite a few partners. It's amazing I haven't gotten any STD's.

... Perhaps I should stop pushing my luck.

If I ever get in a serious relationship I'd decide it with my partner. I can imagine using condoms if she's against female contraceptions. At least the condom doesn't have any physical side effects. Diaphragms just seem annoying. Still, I'm pretty sure every woman I've been with was on the pill.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
EeveeElectro said:
I kid you not, the needle was about the size of my arm :| the syringe was about the same size as a straw.
That... is... terrifying *shutter*

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
got an implant when i was sixteen. never going back. it's the most awesome thing EVER.

cheaper than the pill, in the long run.
no more period! you can't imagine how great this is. not just for me, but also my boyfriend, we can be really spontanious.
you can't forget it, nor can you puke it out.
did i mention you will skip the period?!

however, it's not for everyone. many girls have problems with the high level of hormons i hear.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I keep condoms around for sexy sexy purposes that maybe don't have that much planning to them, but all my relationships have had my girlfriend already on, or start taking, the pill. We'll see if this pattern continues after this dry spell... errr... moistens.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
EeveeElectro said:
Colour-Scientist said:
EeveeElectro said:
Also my sister had a bad turn when she got the implant. Made her go funny or something, she had to have it taken out.
I got that with one brand of the pill. I actually went crazy, it properly messed me up and almost ruined my relationship with my boyfriend.
Mine sent me a bit loopy for the first few days. My whole body ached and I kept throwing up and going dizzy for three days straight. I started screaming and arguing with my boyfriend at the time for "making me do it for him" then eventually passed out at 9pm until 2am.
I was fine after that. Certainly not going to do that again any time soon >.<
All kinds of weird things like that can potentially happen with hormonal birth control of any kind (or any other kind of medication that affects hormone levels for that matter; I could ramble for pages about this kind of stuff), because the hormones involved are responsible for a lot of different things and indirectly affect a whole bunch of different systems. Oddly enough, my girlfriend of several years is on Depo-Provera (same idea, but in once-every-three-months injectable form) to prevent stuff like that from happening. Without it, she has horrible cramps and frequent migraines for five days or so around her period and is essentially incapacitated for nearly a week once a month, but she's been just fine while on it for years now. Some other people who are perfectly fine to begin with get suicidally depressed on it. Go figure. It's always kind of hit or miss with how different individuals will react.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Condoms, they don't ruin the moment if you're quick enough, plus if you're really fussed the girl can put it on. Generally because my girlfriend and I are both under 18 and her parents would question her if she was taking the pill.

Psykoma

Nov 29, 2010
Everything has a risk of failing. Even abstinence.

But being permanently sterile, totally 100% effective!

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
Okay, have to admit I saw the title of the thread and my mind went "Contraception? Some kind of inception pun?" then as I wondered what it could mean I realised I was an utter idiot.

Anyway, I'd say condom? I suppose. With a partner's agreement I'd say the pill, though I don't know if that can be my preferred contraceptive. I mean, I don't really think it's fair for me to say someone should take the pill when I could just use a condom.

Dec 14, 2009
Calcium said:
Okay, have to admit I saw the title of the thread and my mind went "Contraception? Some kind of inception pun?" then as I wondered what it could mean I realised I was an utter idiot.

Anyway, I'd say condom? I suppose. With a partner's agreement I'd say the pill, though I don't know if that can be my preferred contraceptive. I mean, I don't really think it's fair for me to say someone should take the pill when I could just use a condom.
Really?

Nobody?

Fine.

I'll do it.

Ahem.

We have to go deeper!

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
All of them. At once. I also keep an obsidian knife and a handy diagram for ritual suicide in my jacket in case those fail. I really, really don't want kids.

CAPTCHA: Less is more

And who asked you?

On a more serious note, I suppose condoms are the most reliable in terms of availability. Just pulling out obviously isn't enough, and for the others I would have to leave it in the hands of my partner. Not that I don't trust women or something like that, but again: Really don't want to have kids, thank you. I've gotta be 100% sure.

Faladorian

May 3, 2010
Haven't had sex, but when I do I'm going to use everything available.

At the very least, condoms and the pill working together. If that combination ever failed, I'd get a vasectomy.

There's no way in hell I'd want children. Children are just stupid people, as if we don't have enough of those already.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
I'm actually trying to convince the GF to get an IUD now that we're serious. She's doing the research to see how it would affect her. We both hate condoms and she doesn't like the pill, so that would be the best. Her body, her choice, though, of course.
Mouse One said:
If I were in the dating scene, though, I'd go with condoms (with a spermicide). STDs don't care if she's on the pill.
And THAT. You have to trust your partner 100% before using anything else than condoms.

Amberella

Super Sailor Moon
Jan 23, 2010
I'm on the pill so the fiancé and I don't use condoms. :3 It's much better that way! lol

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
I use condoms because I rarely know the girl, but either due to the condom and/or the vodka, I sometimes have trouble keeping it rock solid the entire time. At least I like to try and blame those factors...

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Colour-Scientist said:
This may be an uncomfortable question and a strange place to ask it but, inspired by the How many people have you slept with? thread, I was just wondering what The Escapist's preferred method of contraception is.
Okay, I'm game.

Usually, if I use anything, it's condoms.

I tried the pill a long time ago (in my early 20s) but it reduced my sex drive. A LOT. Which my boyfriend at the time didn't much appreciate. So on the pill, I could safely have all the sex I wanted to, but I had no desire to do so.

Condoms may not feel as good as raw, but the don't mess up my hormones so badly that I actually enjoy myself.

That said, as long as I know my partner of the night well enough to know they are STD free, there are a couple of other methods I will use.

Firstly, I track my periods and when I ovulate. I do this mostly so I know when to carry tampons, but it has the added benefit of knowing when I'm at the highest and lowest risk of pregnancy. Yes yes, rhythm method sucks - I know. Which is why I usually employ other methods with it.

If I know that I'm unlikely to get pregnant that day, then I have been known to go raw and have the guy pull out.

Oh the other hand, if I'm on a "moderate risk" day, I have sometimes let the guy go raw until he "gets close". Then he puts the condom on and we continue.

And high risk days, either condom the whole time, or raw anal.

Of course, when I'm with another woman, all of this goes out the window. I have never used protection with a woman (mostly because I've known the sexual histories of most of them fairly well and those who have had more risky behaviors also have frequent STD tests with negative results).