Poll: Could You Pull the Trigger?

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
stinkychops said:
crudus said:
Honestly, I have always wanted to kill someone to see what it was like. I really am just searching for a reason every day.
Depending on your age this could be a serious problem. If this is truthfully your feelings, and not in any sense machismo, please seek help. That's not to be condescending, or to take the high ground, but being assessed by someone over these thoughts would be a good move. You can't get in trouble for it (as far as I know).
My sense of right and wrong is not blurred. I consider it wrong to kill someone. I honestly hope I am never put into this situation. I don't dream about it. I don't think about killing the people around me. I don't think about killing some random person on the street. I may even be scared of myself if I did kill someone. This is sort of like riding a roller coaster of which you are scared: you will say when it is done "ok, that was fun (in a loose sense of the word) but let's never do that again".

Ryokai

Apr 4, 2010
Very easily. None of the variables make a difference. Killing in self-defense is totally fine.

zimenzo

Jun 3, 2009
I kinda wanted to say for certain that I know I could, but that would be utter bullshit. A lot of people can probably say without a doubt, that they could. I just know I'm not one of them, not because I'm against killing in self-defense, but because I personally think that you can never know for sure until shit hits the fan and you actually have to make that choice.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Q: Do You think you could take a life to defend your own.
Absolutely. If it comes down to me or someone else I would certainly do what needs to be done first, and decide how to feel about it afterward.

Q: The BadGuy is threatening not just your life, but your family's. Does this alter your reaction?
I'd be even less likely to feel bad later, but otherwise, no.

Q: Would the difference between the up-close kill, and the point and click of a ranged weapon have a difference on you?
Other than a lower chance of success, no, not for me. They'd be more likely to live, I suppose. I'd keep attacking them with whatever weapon I had until they stopped trying to get back up. They'd be far more likely to survive that if I had, say, a baseball bat instead of a pistol.

Q: Would having a stranger's life on the line with yours make you change your reaction?
Same as the second question.

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
LimaBravo said:
massivesnippage
All martial arts, to varying degree, teach more than just how to (or how to avoid) punching someone. They also teach important things like situational awareness that most people have little to no experience with.

Speaking of lack of experience, surely with all of your own experience with weapons you'd be aware that without knowing what your doing a sword is almost as dangerous to the person swinging it as the person they're swinging it at. Just like with guns: People who don't know what they're doing are much, much more likely to injure or kill themselves. I have swords, I would not use them in a fight because beyond "Sharp end that way, swing", I really have no idea what I'm doing with one. Same thing with a knife.

Yes, you have a lot more training than I do. I did three years of sport style Tae Kwon Do, five years ago. These days I do not do any formal martial arts as I simply don't have the time or money, though I'll taking Krav Maga fairly soon. TKD taught me how to hit someone to make a noise (would be good for movie combat, come to think of it...) but not injure them. Since I quit, I've taken up sparring and learning from friends who do a variety of martial arts (Karate, Judo, Jujitsu, Olympic style Tae Kwon Do, kuk sool won...), practicing disarms and take downs with my brother (mostly picked up studying videos of Russian Spetsnaz, U.S. Marine training, etc.). Can I take away a knife/handgun/shotgun/rifle from someone in a controlled environment? Easily! And put them on the ground while distancing myself and making sure the gun is cocked and loaded. Could I do it in the real world without ending up dead? Probably not.

-shrugs-

Still, it's good exercise, and it's a lot of fun. Who knows? It may even save my life.

MrNickster

Apr 23, 2010
Seeing as how I live in Australia, the idea of anyone holding you up with a gun decreases to a chance of about 1-100000000000000000 for every kilometre you are away from Orange, but lets assume the man/girl has a knife.

I know how to defend myself without weapons and if I tried too hard, it's wholly possible

Q: The BadGuy is threatening not just your life, but your family's. Does this alter your reaction?
It depends-If he threatens them when they're not around, I'd take my chances with him. If he has them at knifepoint, I'd do whatever he told me

Q: Would the difference between the up-close kill, and the point and click of a ranged weapon have a difference on you?
Seeing as how the only projectile weapon I have ever used is a Paintball gun, my aim would be a tad shit and probably wouldn't hit him-If I did, yells of pain from my piss poor shit would not be good for my mind.
Up close and personal though, a good chokehold will stop any noise and is capable of completely disabling a person (They black out for a few minutes) in a few seconds. I could live with that, but i'd be scared of the place it happened in for a while.

Q: Would having a stranger's life on the line with yours make you change your reaction?
It depends on the situation-If the stranger is being held hostage, I'll do what he tells me. If he's holding up me and another guy at once by himself, he's not terribly bright and could be taken down without much of a struggle.

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
I genuinely reckon I could do it. It's me or him, he wants to get me, so if I can get him, I will.
I act in defence of more people. I think more live's on the line would give me more conviction to end the life of this man I have never met.
I don't think that it makes a difference to me. I still think about it the same way, regardless of emotional removal.
I think so. I would maybe act in a more collected fashion than with my family, but I would still act.

Superior Mind

Feb 9, 2009
falcontwin said:
Superior Mind said:
I'm a soldier in the New Zealand Army. That should really be all I need to say to answer those questions.
Remind me of the last war New Zeland actually had ground combat troops in again?
Don't be a smart-ass. :)

And for your information NZ has ground combat troops in Afghanistan all the time.

I know we mostly do peacekeeping stuff around the Pacific but we're trained to fight and kill not peacekeep. You can teach a warfighter to be a peacekeeper, it's a lot harder to teach a peacekeeper how to war-fight.

caprisun

Nov 8, 2009
I wish i could say, but i think its imposible for anyone who has not been in that situation. Id like to think that there would always be a way out of the situation without anyone dying...but i know thats not always the case..i really dont know tbh

tjarne

Oct 15, 2009
Q: Do You think you could take a life to defend your own?
A:Yes. I problably could, but I would certinaly feel bad about it.

Q: Would having a friend or family member's life on the line with yours make you change your reaction?
A: Yes, without doubt. Atleast I hope I would be able to save someone close to me, even if doing so would force me to kill. Hope i never have to find out.

A: Doesn't matter if I have to kill to defend someone close to me, or if i were angry enough. But it would be so much easier with a gun, one click and its over.

No: I would probably not go as far to defend someone I don't know. IE not bash a head in with a shovel.

MelziGurl

Jan 16, 2009
I would like to think that if my life or the lives of my family were being threatened that I could pull the trigger but whether I could would depend on me being in the moment, same for reaction time. If I could choose an alternate situation that didn't involve death I would probably choose that first as I'm not comfortable with taking a life regardless. But also as others have said, instinct (hopefully) takes over and does what it needs to ensure your survival whether it's up close or distant. As for strangers, I don't know. I'm known to be a protective person but I don't think I could risk my life for a stranger.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
I would kill in self defense in any scenario with any weapon no matter who was trying to harm me. Others being at risk as well would not change my resolve to kill my attacker. Maybe potentially increase it, but not that much because I care more about my own survival than that of others.

DarkLight523

Dec 1, 2009
Q: Do You think you could take a life to defend your own?
When your job puts your life in danger, the moral implications of murder take a back seat. Law enforcement officers are required to use what's called "The Threat of Force" first, and when that fails, they escalate to the "Overwhelming Response."
That would actually hasten my reaction. The thoughts usually running through a moral person's head are questions about whether their own life is worth killing for. Innocents and hostages make the situation much easier to evaluate.
No. I own two handguns and I've been shown what they would could do to watermelons when firing HollowPoint rounds. Even from 10 feet away, there was still a wet red mist landing on me. So there's no point in pussy-footing about getting guts on you. They're going to get on you.
Again, it'd be much clearer once an innocent bystander becomes a potential hostage. Instead of using the "Threat of Force," I'd just skip to "Overwhelming Response" once it became clear that the 'BadGuy' were willing to threaten another person's life, in addition to my own.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Yes. I would take a life if I knew there would be no consequences as long as the person seemed to be some what of an ass. I don't really belief in the afterlife, so I would kill my best friend to preserve myself. I'm also suspicous that everyone I know is conspiring against me some how, so it would make no difference who it was.

Q: The BadGuy is threatening not just your life, but your family's. Does this alter your reaction? It would make me aim more and for the head, don't want any last breath shootings.

Q: Would the difference between the up-close kill, and the point and click of a ranged weapon have a difference on you? No.

No, although again, I would aim for the head.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Most likely, but I'd just sit there and cry forever.

It is against everything that I stand for to wish death upon another person, unless you deliberatly and directly threaten someone with their life. If it was me being threatened, the hatred I would feel would throw me into a fit of rage, but then I'd feel absoultely horrible afterwards.

If my family was in danger aswell, I'd be more likely to have no remorse, especially if it was my brother and sister. If anything were to endanger them, I'd be the first one to protect them.

Long-ranged would probably not feel AS bad, but I'd still be distraught.

And if it was a stranger, I'd probably still do the same as if I were on my own.

namehack

Dec 28, 2009
Absolutly
Nope, still my life on the line.
Not at all.
The human is an egoist by nature, I wouldnt get involved/care.

hcig

Mar 12, 2009
710 of you are full of yourselves

43 of you have never felt real danger

and 137 of you would be able to do it.

look at that, you learned something about yourself today. i voted i could, btw, i am full of myself.
now the better question, could you pull it off?