Poll: Could you wear the same outfit every day?

Emcee_N

Oct 15, 2014
Besides my array of semi-humorous t-shirts, I tend to wear pretty much the same thing every day anyway. It'd probably be more noticeable to people around me if I didn't wear the same outfit every day.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Matthew Jabour said:
This has prompted backlash from some, saying that only women notice these things to begin with, making the point about sexism moot.
Well apparently the women didn't notice either, so there goes that false statement of theirs. Also, isn't saying that "only women would notice" a sexist comment in itself? Interesting that they use a sexist generalization to defend against a sexist accusation.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I already do, I feel. I tend to wear a rather basic, black suit and tie. I change the colours around now and then, but it's hardly a change. It's either that or a grey, tucked-in jumper.

I actually don't like wearing T-shirts with print or text. I might very well just be a right bore.

viscomica

Aug 6, 2013
No, I couldn't.
I do lots of things during the week and one attire wouldn't fit every occasion. Also, the weather is to be taken into consideration.
Appart from that, even if it were possible to wear the same outfit everyday, I'm not sure I would be down with it: clothes can be a way to express yourself and I like dressing up way too much to go with the same outfit everyday.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Male here.

Personally, I hate logos. I don't like having graphics on tees. Which is probably something from back when I was much, much more antisocial. I'd have no problem choosing a single outfit to wear forever. I practically do this already. Dark, monocolor T-shirt or long-sleeve, and a pair of jeans. I like my gray cargo pants more, but they're too light to wear when it gets cold. :<

Not get noticed though? Yeah. I could. People and family are already used to my outfits. Mom tries very very hard to buy me clothes. But I have like, 20 T-shirts, and 4 pants. All the same.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
Male, and I could probably pull it off.

When I'm at work I wear mostly the same outfit every day as it is. A solid-color polo with an undershirt (white or black t-shirt) tucked into a pair of khakis with a black belt and black shoes, and a black leather jacket if it's cold out.

When I'm not at work, I wear mostly the same outfit every day too. Typically a black t-shirt (either solid color or with some kind of logo), a black patrol cap, sunglasses, BDU pants (either woodland camo, Marine digital woodland camo, olive green drab, khaki, or urban camo), a black belt, and black combat boots. If it's cold I'll throw on a hoody or zip-up sweatshirt, a black leather jacket, or if it's particularly cold an olive green M65 field jacket with an inner liner.

I very rarely vary from that, and no one's ever called me out on it. When I was at university I pretty much exclusively wore solid black t-shirts and olive green BDU pants every single day for four years with no problems. My closet looked like what I imagine a cartoon character's closet would look like.

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
As a male who wears the same clothes days in a row and gets shit for it, then no. I would get endless torrents of insults.

I'd also like to point out that he didn't wear the same outfit every day, he wore the same suit. He changed tie and shirt, and if he didn't change the tie (the centerpiece of the outfit) I guarantee people would notice after a bit.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
female here (double checks) yeph
I wear pretty much the same everyday for work jeans, brown boots, tee shirt and one of about 20 plaid shirts.
I only dress "smarter" if I have an important meeting

No one cares, as long as I turn up and do my job, which I do! (most of the time)

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I do basically wear the same outfit every day, black tee-shirt and jeans, and basically the only thing that changes is my shoes and jacket. I mean, if I did start wearing the same exact thing every day I'm sure people would notice, but I don't think anyone would really care much.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I would respond to this topic with nothing more than a picture of Detective Adrian Monk's wardrobe, but that's how I got my last two "low content warnings."

Well, I'm a woman & I have found about 4 styles of shirt that really suit me & they come in a lot of patterns, so I have a LOT of samey outfits, & other women have commented on this.

And Man

May 12, 2014
His point is pretty moot since it was only a suit. If he wore a graphic tee or some other distinguishable clothing every day for a year (ignoring the fact that a news anchor wouldn't wear something like that on air), then people would definitely notice.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
All I wear is metal shirts from concerts and basketball shorts, so I don't think anybody would notice after five years.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
The most obvious bit of clothing is my jacket. Pretty sure people already notice it and I wear almost all the time. Otherwise there are only a few color variations in my clothes... I think people might notice but it may take a week or so.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
All of my staff are women and they have what might just be verging on an unhealthy obsession with my shirt and tie combinations so I probably couldn't get away with it, in fact I probably couldn't wear the same shirt and tie two days running without drawing comment. That said, other than a long discussion about how boring my wardrobe was there wouldn't be any great consequence if I did wear the same outfit every day. I wear a suit so might outfit is always black or charcoal suit with various shirts and ties and if I worked with less attentive people I could probably swing it.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I don't pay attention to what someone wears on a day to day basis. Wearing different clothes during the week is a cleanliness thing for me. I would feel dirty if I wore the same clothes more than two days in a row, though that partially has to do with that I sweat quite easily.

As for the news anchor wearing the same suit for a year. Uhm...so? Suits are suits. Even the colour variations aren't that high. They all basically look the same. For all people knew, he had several of the same suit so he could wear consistent clothes during his presentations. For women it's different. Society is used to seeing women in highly different clothes. I've seen and heard plenty of women who changed daily. The range of colours and styles, even for a TV presentation, is enormous. So you just notice it more quickly. I bet if a woman did the weather forecast, and wore the same suit for a year, people wouldn't really notice either.

MassiveGeek

Jan 11, 2009
I certainly know my mum would notice, even if I lived on the other side of the Earth, since she's very much a... fashionista I guess you could call her, lol. Personally tho, I don't really have a problem wearing the same outfit all the time, as long as it doesn't smell or anything like that. Slacks and comfy wear I do wear all the time in the "appropriate" situations(aka, at home, all the time).

But I'm pretty sure that people other than my immediate family would notice pretty quickly, although, I don't know if they would say anything, honestly. I probably wouldn't, unless, as mentioned, they started smelling or got stains on their clothes or something like that.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
I wear the same type of outfit almost every day anyway, it would probably take people a while to realize it was the same color every day.