Poll: Cowboy Bebop vs Samurai Champloo

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
I haven't watched Cowboy Bebop for years, and I was about 10 at the time so it never really interest me (Although I was watching stuff like Inuyasha, Full Metal Alchemist, and FLCL back then.) I have to rewatch it some time. So I'm gonna go with Samurai Champloo, which I just recently finished and loved.

moretimethansense

Apr 10, 2008
Wenseph said:
moretimethansense said:
Wenseph said:
moretimethansense said:
Wenseph said:
I watched all Cowboy Bebop episodes, but never decided to watch Champloo
Then why in the blue fuck are you posting?
Because I can? Because I'm allowed to? Or maybe I just felt like it? Why the fuck do you care?
Because I like toast, especially with a little bramble jelly on it, I swear when that sweet, sweet flavour touches my tongue I feel alive again.

That's why, you made an inane and utterly useless statement that added nothing to the conversation and served no purpose whatsoever, Imagine if you will that you went in to a bar and saw someone sitting alone as he loudly declares that he doesn't drink, you'd wonder why the fuck he was there wouldn't you?
Or if you were talking to a group about a particular subject and somebody butted in by declaring "I have no strong feelings on this subject one way or the other!".

I care, because it annoys the hell out of me, the fact that you seem to believe that we care about the fact that you have nothing relevant to add to the conversation in the slightest, you realize of course that we WOULD in fact be able to sleep tonight without your, oh so glorious opinion.
Really? I didn't think so. I'm surprised that you would. I pretty much said I prefered Bebop, because I decided to watch it, while the few episodes I've seen of champloo didn't make me want to watch it by my own free will. Don't you have anything better to do than whining? Seriously?
You said that you have never seen Champloo, that doesn't mean anything beyond "I haven't seen Champloo" If you'd said "I didn't like Champloo enough to finish it" or "Champloo didn't hold my attention" then you'd have been staing a valid opinion, if as you said that was your intent then fine, but you mustr remember that on the net all we see is what you typed out, and all you typed out was that you'd never seen Champloo.

And as a matter of fact, no I don't.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
moretimethansense said:
Wenseph said:
moretimethansense said:
Wenseph said:
moretimethansense said:
Wenseph said:
I watched all Cowboy Bebop episodes, but never decided to watch Champloo
Then why in the blue fuck are you posting?
Because I can? Because I'm allowed to? Or maybe I just felt like it? Why the fuck do you care?
Because I like toast, especially with a little bramble jelly on it, I swear when that sweet, sweet flavour touches my tongue I feel alive again.

That's why, you made an inane and utterly useless statement that added nothing to the conversation and served no purpose whatsoever, Imagine if you will that you went in to a bar and saw someone sitting alone as he loudly declares that he doesn't drink, you'd wonder why the fuck he was there wouldn't you?
Or if you were talking to a group about a particular subject and somebody butted in by declaring "I have no strong feelings on this subject one way or the other!".

I care, because it annoys the hell out of me, the fact that you seem to believe that we care about the fact that you have nothing relevant to add to the conversation in the slightest, you realize of course that we WOULD in fact be able to sleep tonight without your, oh so glorious opinion.
Really? I didn't think so. I'm surprised that you would. I pretty much said I prefered Bebop, because I decided to watch it, while the few episodes I've seen of champloo didn't make me want to watch it by my own free will. Don't you have anything better to do than whining? Seriously?
You said that you have never seen Champloo, that doesn't mean anything beyond "I haven't seen Champloo" If you'd said "I didn't like Champloo enough to finish it" or "Champloo didn't hold my attention" then you'd have been staing a valid opinion, if as you said that was your intent then fine, but you mustr remember that on the net all we see is what you typed out, and all you typed out was that you'd never seen Champloo.

And as a matter of fact, no I don't.
Yeah, I was writing that a little too fast apparently. I will edit it. Neither do I, why would I be here then? XD

Jasper Jeffs

Nov 22, 2009
Samurai Champloo. I love Hip Hop, feudal Japan and Nujabes, and Champloo combined all three. Bebop was awesome too, but Champloo's setting and style appealed more to my tastes.

ntw3001

Sep 7, 2009
Space Jazz. Not that I have a problem with Hip-Hop Samurai, but I prefer the soundtrack to Space Jazz.

zepher171

Jan 7, 2011
I really like both of them, i go in and out phases of liking one more than the other but they're both awesome.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
y1fella said:
I like Champloo better because the characters are were more interesting for me and the combination of feudal Japan and modern street culture never failed to amuse Beyond that the two shows are very much alike. very much even. If I were to make a complaint I would say the ending would've been stronger if one or both Jeen and Moogan died. Preferably Moogan.
Edite: Jin and Mugen sorry. spelt it wrong
I have to disagree with you on the character death angle. Throughout most of the show I got the feeling that both men, Jin and Mugen were looking to die, or at the very least willing to die, and them surviving the final episode, and having their greatest enemies defeated/slain allowed them to regain their desire to live. Plus, them dying really didn't, in my opinion, fit with the entire overall theme of the show.
Cowboy Bebop discussion in spoiler tag, do not read if you haven't finished the show.

Spike's death at the end of Cowboy Bebop fit perfectly with the overall theme of both the character and the show itself. Several times throughout the show Spike said that he was already dead and life was just a dream (or something like that). And really, it wasn't just Spike's death that fit with the series, it was also the death of Vicious and Julia.

All that being said, I preferred Cowboy Bebop over Samurai Champloo, though it is pretty close.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Samurai Champloo, an anime I haven't even heard about until now vs. a masterpiece and classic of anime that is called Cowboy Bebop.

Hard decision there. :\

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Cowboy Bebop, and here's why:

The characters have much more depth and are fleshed out with much better pacing. In SC, Fuu just seems rather annoying most of the time, while Jin (while having a decent backstory) just doesn't seem beat-up about any of it, and I don't think Mugen is quite mad enough. In fact, the only character I could identify with was the blind girl who was bitchin' with a jumonji yari (and once again, God, those people scare me).

The action in CB was better spread and had arcs that ranged from sneaking about to all out pounding matches that felt satisfying regardless of when in the series it was. However, once you got past the first four episodes of SC, the action just died for another six/seven episodes as it devolved into all levels of silly (the Jin impersonator/eating competition etc.).

The seiyuus for Bebop were much better, each bringing an individuality to the character. And while I don't mind Ayako Kawasumi, she just made Fuu sound like a spoiled brat, and Ginpei Sato could've been replaced by a machine for all anyone cares. (However, I would rather have had Aoi Tada do her 'Ed' voice from the film, because it was so much more eccentric.)

Won't say anything about backstory stuff, because I reckon they both cover that very well. Same with most of the bit part characters. So instead, having three central characters is always difficult to pull off in a half-year season, especially when one of them is effectively an automaton. CB introduced Ein, Faye and Ed along the way which allowed the series to flow much better.

And here's the kicker: Ein. The best animated dog in existence, seriously, who wouldn't want Ein as their pet, huh?

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
Cowboy Bebop. I tried watching Champloo, but I got bored fairly quickly due to there being an insane amount of 'filler' episodes. Maybe I'll give it another try sometime.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
I'd say Bebop was superior, even though I think they're two of the best animes I've ever seen.

The only problem I ever had with Bebop was that it left me wanting a lot more of the main storyline and Spike's past, some of the other episodes felt like filler to me because of this.

Also, speaking of Mugen's unrealistic survival at the end of Champloo, it's worth remembering that Spike gets shot, stabbed and blown out of a window only to survive a forty foot drop. And that's only the fifth episode.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
twistedmic said:
y1fella said:
I like Champloo better because the characters are were more interesting for me and the combination of feudal Japan and modern street culture never failed to amuse Beyond that the two shows are very much alike. very much even. If I were to make a complaint I would say the ending would've been stronger if one or both Jeen and Moogan died. Preferably Moogan.
Edite: Jin and Mugen sorry. spelt it wrong
I have to disagree with you on the character death angle. Throughout most of the show I got the feeling that both men, Jin and Mugen were looking to die, or at the very least willing to die, and them surviving the final episode, and having their greatest enemies defeated/slain allowed them to regain their desire to live. Plus, them dying really didn't, in my opinion, fit with the entire overall theme of the show.
Cowboy Bebop discussion in spoiler tag, do not read if you haven't finished the show.

Spike's death at the end of Cowboy Bebop fit perfectly with the overall theme of both the character and the show itself. Several times throughout the show Spike said that he was already dead and life was just a dream (or something like that). And really, it wasn't just Spike's death that fit with the series, it was also the death of Vicious and Julia.

All that being said, I preferred Cowboy Bebop over Samurai Champloo, though it is pretty close.
Alright, first off Spike's death isn't concrete. Julia died. Vicious died. Spike mimicked a gun with his fingers, said "Bang", smiled, and collapsed. The imagery and angelic choir after his collapse might've implied that he died from his wounds, but Spike's fate at the end of the series is left open-ended. On purpose. Shinichirō Watanabe himself said: "I've never officially said that he died. At this point, I can tell you that I'm not sure if he's alive or dead."

Cybele

Jun 7, 2010
I can't decide. Bot are masterpieces.
While Champloo had break dancing samurai, Bebop had space cowboys and probably one of the best soundtracks I have ever heard.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
The whole thing about a star dying when a warrior dies makes me believe he's dead though.

The witchdoctor told Spike that before he went to face vicious, then after the credits you see that star burn out.

Seems like there's more to say he's dead than he isn't.
Right, because never in the history of story telling has implied death ever gone on to [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NoOneCouldSurviveThat] be [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NotQuiteDead] challenged [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OnlyMostlyDead].

binvjoh

Sep 27, 2010
Well, I haven't watched Bebop, but Champloo is rather good. Too bad almost the entire series is filler.