Poll: Cycling on the pavement / sidewalk

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Edit - crap - what happened to my poll options? Trying again... Well, that sucks. Ok, well, the third option was supposed to be 'No, it's always wrong' and the fourth one was 'I don't care either way'. Tch.

As a daily cyclist this is a subject that bothers me a lot, and for some reason it's one that seems to inspire very strong feelings in general. And as I got tutted at today, I thought I'd pass it by others. (tl;dr version: cyclists should be allowed to ride on pavements within reasonable limits)

So, in most countries if not all, cycling on the pavement is illegal (note to Americans: UK 'pavement' = US 'sidewalk'; US 'pavement' = UK 'road'). The logic of this is that a bicycle is a vehicle, and vehicles belong on the road, but it's always seemed to me that this is more of a cultural convention than a logical position - after all, by the same logic wheelchairs should also be banned, and electric wheelchairs and mobility scooters even more so (trust me, those mothers can move!)

Suggest that bikes should be allowed on pavements and people throw their arms up in horror. But those crazy cyclists! They'll be knocking people down left right and centre, and there will be carnage. But I have two answers to this. Firstly, the image people have of reckless cyclists is far in excess of the truth. Sure, most cyclists do occasionally or even regularly break the law - jumping red lights or nipping on to the pavement. But injuries and accidents due to reckless cycling are very rare. According to figures on this page, out of 51,192 injuries to pedestrians in the UK over eight years, there were just 18 deaths and 434 injuries from cyclists. Even taking into account the smaller number of bikes on the road, that's a pretty trifling amount.

The fact is that cyclists are far more at risk from others than any risk they cause. In fact, in my experience most of the time the principal reason for a cyclist to break the law is for their own safety, such as jumping a red light to get ahead of the traffic.

The second point is that there is a simple solution, which is to change the law to allow cycling on the pavement with the following provisos (which are also my own personal code of conduct when cycling on a pavement myself):
1) A speed limit of, say, 10mph on any pavements with doorways that open directly onto them.
2) An absolute right of way of pedestrians over cyclists. If people are in your way, you have to wait. And no furious ringing of bells either.
3) An assumption of liability in the case of accident. Any unintentional collision between a cyclist and a pedestrian is automatically assumed to be the cyclist's fault.

Under those conditions, I believe that a change in the law would not only be fair, but would save lives, by allowing cyclists to avoid dangerous traffic areas without fear of prosecution. And they would also not clog up the pavement, because the speed limit would encourage cyclists to keep to the road whenever possible, just as they do now.

And no one would be allowed to tut at me any more.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Yadda Yadda Cyclist are all perfect special snowflakes. I have witnessed a cyclist run over as kill a man riding on the pavement. According to the police report he was doing over 25 miles an hour down a steep hill. Last week on dual use tunnel another person knocked over and had their ribs broken by a cyclist going to fast. The truth is there far too many selfish cyclists for it to be safe to allow them to use the pavements.

How are you going to get assumption of liability to work? Assumption of liability without insurance is pointless, if you have no money to pay damages for accident, liability is meaningless. So you would need a national cycle registration system with legal mandated insurance, the same as cars, without which liability is meaningless. To pay for the costs of such a scheme a tax would have to be imposed on cyclists or due expect everyone else to pay for things just for cyclists. Also you would need a new ranges of criminal offences to deal with uninsured and dangerous cyclists.

I only use my car once a week to do the shopping in the rest of the time I walk and I am really sick and tired having take evasive action around self centered morons in lycra screaming along the pavement to avoid having stop at a traffic light. I am regular user of narrow footbridge which has signs at either end that say no cycling but because its convenient they all scurry over and I'm fed up to back teeth at being sworn at for not getting out their way fast enough.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I'm going to go for yes but with restrictions here, I don't think bombing it down a pavement should be legal but there are good reasons one might be using a pavement, for example riding it fairly slowly across a stretch of pavement to reach another road, or supervising your child who is riding slowly on a quiet patch of pavement. Seems like overkill to me to ban all cycling, better just to ban cycling above a certain low speed or in high densities among people.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
The speed at which cycling amongst pedestrians on the pavement would be safe would render cycling pointless, as it would be better for the cyclist to walk with their bike.

Even 10mph, compared to walking speed, is too much to allow a vehicle with the dimensions, mass and construction of a bike to travel safely on a pavement, yet at lower speeds a bike is less stable, making it a more of an obstacle than is really permissible for a pavement.

I really don't see the point, as allowing bikes to travel on the narrower pavements at safe speeds would just cause more obstructions and if they have to slow down and give way to pedestrian, the constant stopping and starting and having to give way would mean that it would be quicker to walk, not to mention that the only other method of maintaining a decent speed whilst giving way to pedestrians would be to suddenly move onto the road, then back onto the pavement, then back onto the road every time a cyclist encountered a pedestrian, which would make them a random hazard to both road users and pedestrians alike.

Also, you can't really compare bicycles to wheelchairs and mobility scooters, as bikes are a choice which allow able bodied people to travel at far greater speeds than walking, whereas the latter are the only means for disabled people to travel at all. You could use the same broken logic to argue that you should be allowed to ride your horse in the supermarket because they allow guide dogs.

Finally, I don't think citing an average 2 deaths and 54 injuries a year caused by cyclists to pedestrians is a good point in favour of letting people cycle on pavements, in fact I'd say that the proven fatal and hazardous risks of allowing people to cycle on pavements is good enough reason to keep them off pavements permanently.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Flatfrog said:
And as I got tutted at today,
You got what now?

*Looks up "tutted"*
Tutting is the name given to a contemporary abstract interpretive street dance style that exploits the body's ability to create...

Someone danced at you? o_O

Anyway, if someone is cycling as a recreation, we have several cycling paths specifically made for them. So, no need to be on the road/pavement.
If someone is cycling as a primary mode of transportation, then they can either obey ALL the rules of the road or stay the fuck off it.

Either way, be where I'm not. Else, I won't feel a shred of sympathy when this happens to you.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Every cyclist I've seen riding on the sidewalk inevitably tries to slalom between all the pedestrians like he's a goddamn Olympian or something. Unless there's no shoulder and like foot high curbs or something, then get on the damn road and stop acting like your superior cyclist lifestyle lets you float above the rules of society.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Jamash said:
The speed at which cycling amongst pedestrians on the pavement would be safe would render cycling pointless, as it would be better for the cyclist to walk with their bike.
Well, I don't think that's true. For one thing, a cyclist walking their bike takes up more space than one riding, and for another, even going slowly on my bike it's still faster than walking. In any case, this is mostly the same as my final point originally, which is that even if cycling on the pavement *were* legal, most cyclists would probably stick to the road most of the time. I'm not suggesting that any cyclist would prefer to use the pavement as their primary route.

Even 10mph, compared to walking speed, is too much to allow a vehicle with the dimensions, mass and construction of a bike to travel safely on a pavement
I don't see why. 10mph is quite slow enough to give a bike an effective stopping distance of a metre or so, and even a head on collision would be unlikely to cause serious injury. Also, and importantly, the cyclist is as likely to be injured as the person they hit, which makes them much more likely to pay attention.

Also, you can't really compare bicycles to wheelchairs and mobility scooters, as bikes are a choice which allow able bodied people to travel at far greater speeds than walking, whereas the latter are the only means for disabled people to travel at all. You could use the same broken logic to argue that you should be allowed to ride your horse in the supermarket because they allow guide dogs.
Obviously my point was made tongue in cheek, but I don't think it's that easy to dismiss. Personally I have poor knees which start to ache if I walk for more than a few minutes, whereas I can cycle comfortably for longer. Also, my journey to work is much too far to walk. Cycling keeps me healthy and avoids polluting the atmosphere. So to put this as an issue of choice is not really the factor. Still - as I say, I only made the point to provoke, it's not a key part of the argument.

Finally, I don't think citing an average 2 deaths and 54 injuries a year caused by cyclists to pedestrians is a good point in favour of letting people cycle on pavements, in fact I'd say that the proven fatal and hazardous risks of allowing people to cycle on pavements is good enough reason to keep them off pavements permanently.
I disagree entirely here. In the context of road deaths as a whole, I think that's an extremely small number, almost negligible. In 2011 175 people died by accidental drowning in the UK. 2 deaths out of the millions of daily pedestrians is obviously a tragedy for those 2 people and their families, but you can't use it as an argument against cycling. Especially when you put it against the 122 cyclists that died last year on the roads. Allowing cyclists on the pavement would, of course, increase the number of cyclist-pedestrian accidents, but overall it would almost certainly save more lives than it cost.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
In suburban America, cyclists are the primary users of most pavement. This is largely because America spaces their suburban areas too far apart to make walking a worthwhile endeavor. I used to cycle home from work about 16 kilos/10 miles, did that every day for almost two years. I can count on one hand the number of times I encountered someone else on the pavement. Kept me off the road and away from cars, everyone was perfectly happy with the situation.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
No.
My country has dedicated bicycle lanes. Look it up. Tell your governments to make some.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Launcelot111 said:
Every cyclist I've seen riding on the sidewalk inevitably tries to slalom between all the pedestrians like he's a goddamn Olympian or something. Unless there's no shoulder and like foot high curbs or something, then get on the damn road and stop acting like your superior cyclist lifestyle lets you float above the rules of society.
I don't know, I see comments like this a lot, but they just don't match to anything I've seen. Certainly not 'every cyclist I've seen', and I bet it's not every cyclist you've seen either. Most cyclists seem to be perfectly fine. Obviously there are some who aren't. But I think this is a case of confirmation bias. You only notice the one or two idiots, not the courteous majority.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
madwarper said:
Either way, be where I'm not. Else, I won't feel a shred of sympathy when this happens to you.
Wow. I just watched that. And well. You think that's OK? You 'wouldn't feel a shred of sympathy' for those people being plowed into and bouncing off that car's bonnet? Well, that's pretty fucking contemptible in my opinion. Even as a piece of hyperbole that's a bit beyond the pale.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Flatfrog said:
Edit - crap - what happened to my poll options? Trying again... Well, that sucks. Ok, well, the third option was supposed to be 'No, it's always wrong' and the fourth one was 'I don't care either way'. Tch.
For some reason text in poll options is erased after you type in '. So now you know.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
When I was 13 I got run over by a cyclist when walking home from school. He hit me from behind, and since it was so unexpected I ended up face planting right into the sidewalk. Broke my left wrist (thank god I'm right handed), and my nose. ************ didn't even apologize, he just picked his bike back up and kept going while I lay on the ground in a daze. Eventually I got back up and walked another half mile home, where I had to wait for my parents to get home from work so that someone could take me to the hospital.

Next time I saw that biker was 3 weeks later, and he was still riding his bike on the sidewalk like an asshole (completely disregarding the bike lane that was placed in the road literally 2 feet to his left), dodging people at ridiculous speeds. When he came up next to me I kicked his bike, made him fall over, then picked his bike up, threw it in a ditch and walked away.

Anyway, bikes have no business sharing either the road or the sidewalk. They're too slow for roads, and piss off drivers because of it, and they're too fast for the sidewalk, making them a danger to pedestrians. They should only be allowed in designated bike lanes, where they belong.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Isn't this like asking to combine the slow lane and the fast lane? Dedicated Bike lanes are the answer here.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
Next time I saw that biker was 3 weeks later, and he was still riding his bike on the sidewalk like an asshole (completely disregarding the bike lane that was placed in the road literally 2 feet to his left), dodging people at ridiculous speeds. When he came up next to me I kicked his bike, made him fall over, then picked his bike up, threw it in a ditch and walked away.
I would have thrown the bike on him, picked up and thrown it on him again, then throw it in a ditch. If you want a more comedic effect get a really sturdy stick or something along those lines, throw it in their spokes!

Anyways I live outside of a small town of 1000 people and I always rode my bike on the sidewalk. You don't want to be on a road that has heavy Semi traffic. If someone was walking you pulled off into the grass and went around them. It probably wouldn't work like that though if you live in an area with a large population.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
Flatfrog said:
Launcelot111 said:
I don't know, I see comments like this a lot, but they just don't match to anything I've seen. Certainly not 'every cyclist I've seen', and I bet it's not every cyclist you've seen either. Most cyclists seem to be perfectly fine. Obviously there are some who aren't. But I think this is a case of confirmation bias. You only notice the one or two idiots, not the courteous majority.
In the town where I went to college, there were tons of people with bikes, but almost no one rode them on the road. I had one friend that did, and it was a point of pride for him because it was so unusual. It's not that the roads were narrow or dangerous or congested or anything, it's just that no one rode on them for whatever reason. The rest rode down the sidewalk between classes, among the thousands of students walking around, and only a handful would have the courtesy of saying they're coming before they blow past you. Many of these sidewalks barely let two people pass, much less a bike. They're such a nuisance that the city banned them from pretty much every sidewalk beyond four blocks from campus.

Confirmation bias might also be a thing. I see good cyclists, sure, but I tend to remember the ones that flip me the bird as they shoot through a stop sign ahead of me.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Desert Punk said:
Well considering the cycalists were banging on his windows while he was driving with his kid and he gunned it to get away from some violent folk, nope no pitty.
At the end of the day, he injured and probably killed people. He and his kid got a little scared. Also, the people he injured or killed in this video were NOT acting violent towards him.

OT: I'm a cyclist, and I really don't think we should be on the sidewalks except to get from the road to the rack in as short a distance as possible. The pedestrians have the right of way and shouldn't need to deal with us in their designated space.

I just wish more drivers understood that cyclists are under the same laws as them. I've seen more accidents nearly caused by drivers who don't know how to deal with cyclists than anything else.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
So, because of where I live (middle of nowhere, Arizona basically) the few sidewalks in my town are, for the most part, devoid of people, and when there are some people walking, I just pull over to the side and let them pass.

I dont see a problem if you're not living in a heavily populated area. Though I can see the point if its New York or Boston, or any medium/large city for that matter :/