Poll: Daniel Tosh threatens Woman with Gang Rape

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
itsthesheppy said:
RoBi3.0 said:
itsthesheppy said:
Murmillos said:
Team Dickwolves reporting in!
Whenever I see something like this, it always makes me feel off because I can't help but look at the subtext as "I know it's not a popular position to take, but I'm making a STAND against rape victims and the things that hurt them. Vote YES on RAPE!"

Anyway...

I'm really unimpressed with Tosh on this one, mostly because he found himself in a really tough spot for a comedian and totally botched it. There's ways to handle a heckle like that, most of them involve deflection. Turn the situation into a joke, make people laugh off the awkwardness, and move on with the show.

Instead, he all but advertised horrible violence against a specific woman. A kind of violence we see time and again in the real world. A type of violence that I have never found funny, nor do I think there is a comedian working today who could make it funny.

and the delivery! Ugh... it was like a frat boy talking to his chums, not a professional comedian handling a heckler. He deserves to be made a pariah for a bit. Put the dunce cap on him. What a tool.
You have a point about how he could have handled it. It could have been better. If I were him I would have just stopped what I was doing and asked the woman if she had ever seen his acted before, and if she had then asked her why the hell she was here. Every time I have ever seen Tosh he has done a bit on rape. I would think most people going to his show would have realized what they were in for.
Or you could just say, "Hey, look, it's just a show. Obviously rape is terrible. If you feel really offended, you're welcome to leave." Hell, I'd even offer a refund, you know? But to tell the audience that it would be "funny" if she were gang-raped? No, Tosh, it wouldn't be funny. Because if you were saying that in, say, the Sudan, it would be more a preview of coming attractions than a lame-ass non-joke.
Fair enough. Tosh handled this very poorly I don't think anyone could argue with that.

This women is not blameless. I go to comedy shows all the time and sometimes comedians say things that I don't agree with, but rather then cause a scene, I tell myself that they are making a joke and I don't have to take it to heart.

Grygor

Oct 26, 2010
SadakoMoose said:
Excuse the hell out of me for assuming that fans of a show that hammers in "friendship and understanding" like a jackhammer would also tend to believe in friendship and understanding.
Part of friendship and understanding isn't shutting people up with rape jokes.
Why would you assume that a community composed primarily of nerdy young white men - a community, incidentally, in which several people write erotic fan-fic, including the occasional rape-fic, of characters aimed at little girls - would be all that "progressive"?

launchpadmcqwak said:
his whole act is to be offensive, imagine if a thread is made for every Anal **** song that offends someone...
That would require a level of cultural awareness these people don't have - they probably don't even know that Anal **** is a thing. They certainly don't seem to be aware that Tosh's last tour included jokes about domestic abuse, dead children, and pedophilia as an actual part of his set - or else they let it slide because he also made fun of Mormons - that he has joked about committing suicide to end his career, or that back in the day he had a set about how he's "not you're typical black comedian."

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Drago-Morph said:
itsthesheppy said:
Drago-Morph said:
SadakoMoose said:
Jack the Potato said:
Kahunaburger said:
Hal10k said:
She was a heckler.
Would you say the same thing about the black man the guy who played Kramer directed similar hate at? If not, why not?

EDIT: And, FYI, the context of the comedy club doesn't do anything to erase the context of privilege, and I'm not sure why you think it would.
Privilege? Privilege?! What, do you think rape is a crime that only happens to women? Men are automatically in a position of power over women and can rape any woman if they chose to? Women are the only rape victims ever and men are never traumatized by rapes from women? What the fuck is wrong with you?! Not only are you making a completely retarded point, but you're also comparing two completely different situations that have very, VERY little do with each other! Stop typing. Please. You've already proven you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.
You're a Men's Rights activist, aren't you?
Please, tell me what it feels like to be a woman walking down the street at night when all of a sudden you see a man walking towards you. Describe the feeling of tension, and suspicion. The feeling you get when you realize that you cannot even walk down the street and have a sense of security, simply because you were born a woman.
When you hear your own mom describing these feelings, it begins to hit home.
See, now this is an argument I cannot stand.

No, I'm not a men's rights activist. I find men's position of power over women in society to be disgusting. But this argument is ridiculous because it implies both that women are helpless and men are invulnerable, neither of which are true and both of which are offensive.

See, the problem I have with women saying "you don't know what's it's like to walk down the street in fear for your safety!" is that, why, yes I do. I walk down the street at night and see some scary dude walking up to me? I'm terrified that he's going to just straight-up murder me.

"Rape" is not some kind of horrible experience inherent to all women, one that pervades their life and men could never comprehend. It is a crime that women can fear, if they choose...
*BUZZER NOISE*

Oh! And you were doing so well. Really, up until that point it really looked like you were zeroing in on a good point but it just got away from you there at the end. It's alright, it was a gamely attempt. Maybe brush up on some reading and try again next time?

Women don't choose to fear rape. Men choose to rape women, and women fear the possibility of that happening.
But the odds of them being raped are pretty damn low
*BUZZER*

Oh MAN. Today is not your day, Drago! You worked up a good head of steam early on but you're just kind of flailing now.

Depending on the study you look at and the timeframe the study looks into, you can find the statistics actually bear out that between one in four to one in seven women will be raped or sexually assaulted in their lifetime. That's not "rare". Rare is winning the lottery or being in a plane crash. One in four is frighteningly common.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
RoBi3.0 said:
itsthesheppy said:
RoBi3.0 said:
itsthesheppy said:
Murmillos said:
Whenever I see something like this, it always makes me feel off because I can't help but look at the subtext as "I know it's not a popular position to take, but I'm making a STAND against rape victims and the things that hurt them. Vote YES on RAPE!"

Anyway...

I'm really unimpressed with Tosh on this one, mostly because he found himself in a really tough spot for a comedian and totally botched it. There's ways to handle a heckle like that, most of them involve deflection. Turn the situation into a joke, make people laugh off the awkwardness, and move on with the show.

Instead, he all but advertised horrible violence against a specific woman. A kind of violence we see time and again in the real world. A type of violence that I have never found funny, nor do I think there is a comedian working today who could make it funny.

and the delivery! Ugh... it was like a frat boy talking to his chums, not a professional comedian handling a heckler. He deserves to be made a pariah for a bit. Put the dunce cap on him. What a tool.
You have a point about how he could have handled it. It could have been better. If I were him I would have just stopped what I was doing and asked the woman if she had ever seen his acted before, and if she had then asked her why the hell she was here. Every time I have ever seen Tosh he has done a bit on rape. I would think most people going to his show would have realized what they were in for.
Or you could just say, "Hey, look, it's just a show. Obviously rape is terrible. If you feel really offended, you're welcome to leave." Hell, I'd even offer a refund, you know? But to tell the audience that it would be "funny" if she were gang-raped? No, Tosh, it wouldn't be funny. Because if you were saying that in, say, the Sudan, it would be more a preview of coming attractions than a lame-ass non-joke.
Fair enough. Tosh handled this very poorly I don't think anyone could argue with that.

This women is not blameless. I go to comedy shows all the time and sometimes comedians say things that I don't agree with, but rather then cause a scene, I tell myself that they are making a joke and I don't have to take it to heart.
Heckling a comedian because you're hammered and you think you're funnier than they are, or because you want to get attention and test your wits against theirs is bothersome and boorish and I think we can all agree that it's satisfying watching a comedian tell them to go fuck themselves.

but Tosh does not know this woman. She could have been a gang-rape survivor for all he knew. It was incredibly inappropriate, unprofessional, and whatever 'wrong' she may have committed interrupting his show is like taking a cup of water out of a lake compared to the disaster he turned it into by being a tool.

FatalFox

Jan 18, 2012
Anything can be funny if done right, hearing quotes from Daniel Tosh's show about the jokes he made I don't want to watch anything involving him in anything ever again.
Dark humor can be funny, as I said anything can, but this is purely in poor taste, disgusting even.

It seems to me, genuine or not, he thinks rape itself is funny (no I'm not saying he's gonna go out someday, watch a woman get raped and laugh his ass off while the girl is being traumatized, he'll be worse than hitler if so, but) the "joke" he made, AT her no less, was nothing more than "hey, imagine this woman getting gangraped by five guys right now, isn't that hilarious!?" which just makes me wanna do bad things to his face.

I'm kind of appauled that so many people are defending his "humor", I guess you can't imagine someone who was actually sexually assaulted sitting in the audience and getting a trigger of her trauma?

Ashannon Blackthorn

Sep 5, 2011
SadakoMoose said:
Xan Krieger said:
Where's a "yes" poll option? I thought it was funny and I will continue to watch Tosh.0 and any future comedy specials involving Daniel Tosh.
Just as I'll continue to post, retweet, and tweet this story to everyone I can until Tosh either apologizes or suffers monetary losses as the result of people no longer wishing to support him by consuming his product.
Glad to see that you'll stand behind a guy that thinks gang rape is funny.
Oh.. glad to see you think it's fine to censor things you personally don't agree with. Cause that's what you doing. You ever stop to think about that? Congradulations you are now officially part of the whole fucking problem with the human race. I'm hope you feel happy for yourself.

Get the fuck over yourself. Ok? So you also going to go retroactively censor George Carlin too? He does a whole monologue about rape and how it can be funny. But hey he's dead so you can't push your morals and beliefs on him now can you?

Is the act of rape funny? No. Rapists should be executed. But to simply say "Rape is not a topic for comedy" well this is where I say go fuck yourself.

Also, do I think Tosh was a idiot for how he handled the heckler? yes. He could have handled her much better than "Oh, hope she gets gang raped" That's just immature and asinine.

EDIT: Basically hate the comedian, but stop trying to censor things because it's not something you don't like. Yes rape is fucking horrible but censoring it isn;'t the way to stop it. This is one of the few times I actually see a proper use of slippery slope.

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
itsthesheppy said:
Drago-Morph said:
itsthesheppy said:
Drago-Morph said:
SadakoMoose said:
Jack the Potato said:
Kahunaburger said:
Hal10k said:
She was a heckler.
Would you say the same thing about the black man the guy who played Kramer directed similar hate at? If not, why not?

EDIT: And, FYI, the context of the comedy club doesn't do anything to erase the context of privilege, and I'm not sure why you think it would.
Privilege? Privilege?! What, do you think rape is a crime that only happens to women? Men are automatically in a position of power over women and can rape any woman if they chose to? Women are the only rape victims ever and men are never traumatized by rapes from women? What the fuck is wrong with you?! Not only are you making a completely retarded point, but you're also comparing two completely different situations that have very, VERY little do with each other! Stop typing. Please. You've already proven you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.
Please, tell me what it feels like to be a woman walking down the street at night when all of a sudden you see a man walking towards you. Describe the feeling of tension, and suspicion. The feeling you get when you realize that you cannot even walk down the street and have a sense of security, simply because you were born a woman.

No, I'm not a men's rights activist. I find men's position of power over women in society to be disgusting. But this argument is ridiculous because it implies both that women are helpless and men are invulnerable, neither of which are true and both of which are offensive.

See, the problem I have with women saying "you don't know what's it's like to walk down the street in fear for your safety!" is that, why, yes I do. I walk down the street at night and see some scary dude walking up to me? I'm terrified that he's going to just straight-up murder me.

"Rape" is not some kind of horrible experience inherent to all women, one that pervades their life and men could never comprehend. It is a crime that women can fear, if they choose...
*BUZZER NOISE*

Oh! And you were doing so well. Really, up until that point it really looked like you were zeroing in on a good point but it just got away from you there at the end. It's alright, it was a gamely attempt. Maybe brush up on some reading and try again next time?

Women don't choose to fear rape. Men choose to rape women, and women fear the possibility of that happening.
*BUZZER*

Oh MAN. Today is not your day, Drago! You worked up a good head of steam early on but you're just kind of flailing now.

Depending on the study you look at and the timeframe the study looks into, you can find the statistics actually bear out that between one in four to one in seven women will be raped or sexually assaulted in their lifetime. That's not "rare". Rare is winning the lottery or being in a plane crash. One in four is frighteningly common.
I'm sorry, I find it hard to believe that numbers like that aren't bullshit. I'll accept that rape is certainly a more common crime than murder, but more common than getting mugged? Than having someone break into your home? Suuuuuure. Unless they are a supremely unlucky person, I'm willing to bet no one you ask is going to be able to name five women they know (from a very conservative pool of twenty women overall that they know) who have been raped. Not saying those studies don't exist, but they're inaccurate. I could just as easily find a study that places the number much lower than that, if I wanted. Unfortunately, we'll both be out for biased statistics in that case, so instead let's just use some common Goddamn sense.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Biased poll much?

Lady should have just kept her mouth shut. If you don't like the show, leave. Simple.

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
Anyone else think the OP is a real sleeze for making a 1 sided poll?

Honestly I find Danial Tosh's dark standup hilarious. Fuck everyone else that doesn't like it they don't have to get moody and ruin everyone elses time.

To anyone who actually thought that he wanted her to get raped, you clearly don't understand.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
itsthesheppy said:
Drago-Morph said:
itsthesheppy said:
Drago-Morph said:
SadakoMoose said:
Jack the Potato said:
Kahunaburger said:
Hal10k said:
She was a heckler.

*BUZZER NOISE*

*BUZZER*

Being raped on the street by a total stranger in the dead of night like you describe is far less likely than any other situation though. Rape victims are far more likely to be raped by somebody they previously knew, date rape, abusive relationships and incestual molestation are far more common. So while rape is relatively common the situation you described isn't.

Mar 25, 2010
Kahunaburger said:
Jack the Potato said:
But claiming rape is a hate crime against women completely ignores the men who have been victims of rape
[Committing a crime against] someone is a crime. [Committing a crime against] someone because they're [a member of identity group X] is a hate crime. Wow, this is such a tricky concept.
Yes because all women are a small "identity group". Sure it's a group, but damn, that's not exactly stable grounds to call it a "hate crime".

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Drago-Morph said:
I'm sorry, I find it hard to believe that numbers like that aren't bullshit. I'll accept that rape is certainly a more common crime than murder, but more common than getting mugged? Than having someone break into your home? Suuuuuure.
Here. [http://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/sexual-assault-victims] These [http://www.crisisconnectioninc.org/sexualassault/rapestatistics.htm] links [http://thehathorlegacy.com/rape-statistics/] took [http://www.barcc.org/information/facts/stats/] me [http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/15/health/nearly-1-in-5-women-in-us-survey-report-sexual-assault.html] about [http://www.911rape.org/facts-quotes/statistics] one minute to collect. I don't think I need to say anything more; I'll let you read them for yourself. Note the sources; feel free to check those if you doubt the validity.

now those numbers were compiled by teams of researchers whose job it is to do that work. If you have evidence to the contrary other than, say, wishful thinking, I'm sure we're all interested in hearing it.

If you don't, do your homework, and fix your face.

Ashannon Blackthorn

Sep 5, 2011
itsthesheppy said:
*BUZZER*

And it's really easy to pull bullshit statistics out of your ass. one is six professors of history can tell you that. Also 79% of all scientists wear underwear on any given day.

Yeah if you look in the right places you can find stats for 1 in 4 women being raped. I know a few hundred women easy. None of them them raped. Though I know one girl who raped her husband. Does that count toward the statistics?

And I'm sure I can find stats for a much lower percentage of rape victims. Depends on where you look.

PLus being a condescending jackanape doesn't really make me want to agree with you in any way.

EDIT to the post directly above me. Ok, nice links. However I will point out all of them are sites devoted to the rape preventation/victim services. That's their fucking job. Do you think they going ot have statistics that shoot themselves in the foot? Are you fucking daft? I'll give weight to what you say if you can dig out stats from a neutral organization that doesn't have an innate bias.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Ashannon Blackthorn said:
itsthesheppy said:
*BUZZER*

And it's really easy to pull bullshit statistics out of your ass. one is six professors of history can tell you that. Also 79% of all scientists wear underwear on any given day.

Yeah if you look in the right places you can find stats for 1 in 4 women being raped. I know a few hundred women easy. None of them them raped. Though I know one girl who raped her husband. Does that count toward the statistics?

And I'm sure I can find stats for a much lower percentage of rape victims. Depends on where you look.

PLus being a condescending jackanape doesn't really make me want to agree with you in any way.
I feel I am well within my rights to be condescending to grown adults who should really know better, when solid information is out there for them to read about and know, and they choose ignorance instead.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
itsthesheppy said:
RoBi3.0 said:
itsthesheppy said:
RoBi3.0 said:
itsthesheppy said:
Murmillos said:

Anyway...

Heckling a comedian because you're hammered and you think you're funnier than they are, or because you want to get attention and test your wits against theirs is bothersome and boorish and I think we can all agree that it's satisfying watching a comedian tell them to go fuck themselves.

but Tosh does not know this woman. She could have been a gang-rape survivor for all he knew. It was incredibly inappropriate, unprofessional, and whatever 'wrong' she may have committed interrupting his show is like taking a cup of water out of a lake compared to the disaster he turned it into by being a tool.
First I don't know the women so I am not going to assume that she is a gang-rap survivor, when trying to factor "how bad Tosh fucked up" which is kind of a stupid thing to do in the first place. Nothing bad actually happened no one was rapped. Worst case scenario is that someone got their feels hurt. That happens to millions of people daily when are we going to start policing every single person that offends someone else.

Second, there was going to be more, but I realized we are really just arguing in circles. I think Tosh messed up you think Tosh messed up. I think the woman shouldn't have heckled Tosh in the first place, and you seem to agree.

This would not even be a news worthy story if it had contain the subject of rape, which is a hot topic. People have to get their agendas out to see how they can profit from this incident.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
there is no subject that can't be funny, but there are definitely people who can't be funny, which seems to be the case here