Poll: Dating older people.

Slitzkin

Jul 3, 2011
Okay, so I 'm dating a woman fourteen years my senior at the moment. I like her and she really likes me, I personally don't see any problems here but some people do. Obviously it mightn't last the test of time but as of now we are happy and I believe that is all that matters. I never thought I'd be dating someone in their 30s while I'm only in my early 20s but life is funny and it's where I am at the moment.

I was just wondering what the consensus is here. Are you lot alright with dating older people or do you just go for the younger types? Do you even care about age? And I'm curious to see your reasons for why you like older people or younger people.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Presumably this thread was inspired by the other thread on age gaps. So I'm going to say what I said in that one. If you're happy in your relationship, that's grand and bully for you, OP, don't let my answer dissuade you.

Personally, I'd only date someone whose life experiences were roughly matching up with mine. And that means dating someone at university, or reasonably fresh out of study. Realistically, that's probably going to mean dating someone within +- 3 years or so of me. So I'll vote for 5, shall I?

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
I personally wouldn't feel comfortable dating somebody more than 5 years older or younger than me; but if you can make it work then kudos to you! I wish you all the best!

I've dated one person my age and the rest were around 2 years younger than me...... I did have one situation where I had mutual interest in somebody 6 years younger than me (she was 16, I was 21) but I figured it would be best not to.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I see no problem with it. As long as you guys are happy and whatnot.

Myself personally would never go above five years difference. I might push seven if I really like them. But five would be my standard. Anymore and the age gap is too much.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I think about 5 years or so older than me would be my limit, and would I want to be the older member of the relationship?

I have no idea and I'm not sure how I would feel about that, but I'll let you know when I actually date someone... and now I made myself sad. Thanks OP!

[sub][sub]I kid. :D[/sub][/sub]

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'd personally be around 5 - 10 years (I picked 10 in the poll cause why not) for the right person.
I think you should date whoever you want though. If you're with someone you love and you're happy then it's kind of dickish for two consenting adults to be scrutinized on that. I'd rather be with someone I'm compatible with with a wide age difference than with someone I'm not who is close to me in age.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
I used to date a woman who was 10 years my senior in my early twenties. Nothing anyone would consider inappropriate, really. I do tend to usually end up with someone closer to my age either way, though. Then again, I've been single for two years now...

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
As a 19-year-old lad, I'm gonna stick with just 5 years older for now, even though I prefer either slightly younger (getting into the attitude of being with a girl a few years younger than me being somewhat of an embarrassment, socially) or only slightly older. I'm sure there's a woman out there 10 years older than me that I could connect with (and I know I am more than capable of finding women of that age very attractive) and fall in love with, but as it stands right now, I'm not emotionally up for it much.

Oh and uhh...to direct my reply more towards your woes, OP, I do not mind it at all. As everyone else, I'll say that the older you get, the bigger the gap can stretch without it seeming abnormal. My grandmother and her second husband have 20 years between them, and it's not weird to anyone.

Also, I strive to be open-minded, so I'm willing to accept anything, as long as those two people really enjoy each other's company and are happy together.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm 24 and I wouldn't date someone over 30. It's not a number thing. I'm finishing college, I can barely look after myself with a meager job, I share my apartment with my sister... whereas someone over 30 probably has her degree already, a stable job and a lifestyle independent from the restraints I have to deal with.

Slitzkin

Jul 3, 2011
Caiphus said:
Presumably this thread was inspired by the other thread on age gaps. So I'm going to say what I said in that one. If you're happy in your relationship, that's grand and bully for you, OP, don't let my answer dissuade you.

Personally, I'd only date someone whose life experiences were roughly matching up with mine. And that means dating someone at university, or reasonably fresh out of study. Realistically, that's probably going to mean dating someone +- 3 years or so. So I'll vote for 5, shall I?
Heh, I actually didn't see that thread. I wanted to make this thread before work so I could get home and read it, I guess I skimmed over the other thread.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
I said I only date younger people. In reality I could maybe do a year or two older than me. I'm only 20 right now so I am mostly surrounded by college students close to my own age. I imagine though at some point it is more than possible for my stance on the matter to change.

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
Being a 36 year old guy, I've learned that trying to be with older women has NEVER worked. I've always been open minded about age. There's a reason why men want younger women. My personality would be more appreciated by someone younger.

The older women I've met were extremely close-minded and weren't fun people to be around. If someone else has had more success with them, then more power to them. My motto is "Younger is always better!".

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Probably 5-10 years, I guess.
I wouldn't want to date someone who's at a completely different stage in life.
I'm 22 and just about to finish university so there's still a lot of stuff I plan on doing in my twenties, I couldn't be with someone who has done all of their exploring and only wants to settle down, buy a house, have kids, etc...

That said, it does completely depend on the person.

Slitzkin

Jul 3, 2011
Colour Scientist said:
Probably 5-10 years, I guess.
I wouldn't want to date someone who's at a completely different stage in life.
I'm 22 and just about to finish university so there's still a lot of stuff I plan on doing in my twenties, I couldn't be with someone who has done all of their exploring and only wants to settle down, buy a house, have kids, etc...

That said, it does completely depend on the person.
Aye, I see where you are coming from. But this particular woman, doesn't ever want children, wants to travel, already has a house and I think she just takes one day at a time. The only that stops her from travelling and all that is her job which she is very fond of. She may be in her 30s but she is still 'young at heart'. With the added bonus of looking like she is only 23. It's true that people with Asian heritage don't age, hehe.

Dec 14, 2009
Anywhere within 5 years either side, I reckon. Although I'm leaning towards the younger than me scale, rather than the older than me scale.

I'm 26, so I'm at that strange middle ground where I still haven't quite accepted I'm an adult, but too old to get away with it XD

Slitzkin said:
With the added bonus of looking like she is only 23. It's true that people with Asian heritage don't age, hehe.

Flutterguy

Jun 26, 2011
I tend to take much more out of conversations with older people. Conversations with my peers usually revolve around selfish interest and media.. Not to mention she could be a sugar-momma... I gotta get me an older chick!

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
At this point in time, I wouldn't date anyone three years older than me...

Mainly because I'm 22...

If I was 27, then I'd probably accept up to 35...

It's a matter of ratio really...

But yeah, right now, since this is the moment the question was asked, <5 years...

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
where i'm at now, i wouldn't care. when you're younger it makes more of a difference, as you grow up it really doesn't matter. personally i've had 3 long term relationships, #1 was my age, #2 was just over a year younger and #3 (still together) is 3 years older