Poll: Deadliest Video Game Warrior: Round One, Samus Aran vs. Master Chief

irishdelinquent

Jan 29, 2008
Inspired by the recent show on Spike TV, Deadliest Warrior [http://www.spike.com/show/31082], I decided to try out a video game version of the dream match-up between two of the strongest fighters from video games. To give you a rundown of how this will work, here is the line-up of the contest:

- Tale of the Tape (description of their experience, their stats, etc)
- Comparison of their equipment (each character chooses a close range, mid range, long range, and "special" weapon, and they are compared to each other)
- Ultimate Victor (based on the performance in the combat scenarios, who wins the fight)

For the first round, I wanted to stick with two combatants who are rather similar to one another. In fact, we only really know what they look like with their power armor on. Without further delay, Master Chief vs. Samus Aran!

Tale of the Tape

Samus Aran

Years of experience: 23 years, ranging over 9 different games (I don't count Metroid Pinball)

Height: 6' 3" (while wearing her suit)

Weight: 198 lbs (while wearing her suit)

Special Modifications: Infused with the DNA of the Chozo, and trained to be a warrior. Gifted a suited of specially-designed power armor with a variety of equipment, weapons, and upgrades. Suit can be upgraded with multiple energy tanks, giving Samus a near-infinite life supply.

Victories: Has stopped the Space Pirates on multiple occasions, all but eradicated the Metroid species from the galaxy, helped to cull Phazon contamination.

Nemesis: Ridley killed Samus' parents when she was a child, and continues to come back and threaten Galactic peace.

Master Chief

Years of experience: 8 years, spread over 3 games

Height: 7' (while wearing his suit), 6' 7"

Weight: 1000 lbs (while wearing his suit), 287 lbs

Special Modifications: Has undergone the SPARTAN project, encased in a suit on MJOLNIR armor. Suit features a recharging energy field, which can keep Chief alive even after the worst fights.

Victories: Stopped the invasion of the Covenant on Earth, eliminated the Flood from the galaxy.

Nemesis: The Prophets organised the invasion of Earth and the extinction of Humanity, seeking to fulfill the prophecy of the Forerunners.

Equipment

Close Range

Samus Aran: Samus' Arm Cannon. A cannon built directly into the armor of Samus, capable of rapid-fire or powerful charged blasts. With a variety of beam types (including Ice, Dark, and Plasma), this weapon is capable of damaging anything.

Master Chief: M90 Combat Shotgun. A pump-action weapon, deadly at close range. While it has a high damage yield when in close, it is hindered by a small ammunition reserve and slow reload rate.

Advantage: Samus Aran. Master Chief can cause a lot of damage when in close, but arguably has to get closer than Samus. Also, Chief will often be exposed while reloading and cocking his weapon. Samus, meanwhile, can continue to rapid fire after firing off a charged blast...and will never run out of ammo.

Mid Range

Samus Aran: Missiles. A seperate round for Samus' arm cannon, the missile gives Samus increased firepower and range. The missile can be combined with a charge shot, or can be fired as an Ice missile, causing additional damage.

Master Chief: Battle Rifle. Capable of firing powerful, three-shot bursts. Accurate, with a scope to allow pinpoint targetting.

Advantage: Samus Aran. While Master Chief can use the scope of the Battle Rifle to pick off Samus Aran in the head, he can't do so and avoid missiles at the same time. Plus, Samus' missiles will kill him off before he drains her energy tanks.

Long Range

Samus Aran: Imperialist. A rarely-used upgrade for Samus' suit, taken after the defeat of the bounty hunter Trace. Allows for long range elimination of enemies.

Master Chief: Sniper Rifle. Master Chief truly has an arsenal of long-ranged weapons at his disposal, with the Rocket Launcher and Spartan Laser barely edged out. It is the sniper rifle that makes Chief truly deadly at range. With a four-round magazine, and average ammo reserve, the Sniper Rifle can mow down enemies quickly.

Advantage: Master Chief. Chief easily wins a contest at range. Samus is not a bounty hunter known for her use of subtlety or stealth when engaging enemies. Chief, meanwhile, utilizes long range fire to eliminate tougher targets in a single shot.

Special

Samus Aran: Energy Whip. A dual-purpose item, that can function as a weapon or a defense. Samus can use it to disarm enemies, tear open doors, swing across gaps, or throw enemies around.

Master Chief: Energy Sword. A Covenant weapon acquired from the Elites, this sword can cut down most targets with a single swipe. Dependant on a energy core, this weapon is deadly...while it lasts.

Advantage: Samus Aran. The energy whip can disarm the Chief, and leave him all but helpless. The whip also has a longer range than the sword, meaning Samus can stay out of harm's reach.

Samus Aran!

While Master Chief gave the first lady of gaming a tough fight, ultimately the bounty hunter wins out. Chief runs out of ammunition eventually (at least when he's not on a battlefield full of dead enemies he can steal from), while Samus can fire her Arm Cannon all day. Also, Chief's energy shield is far more likely to run out o juice before Samus runs out of energy tanks. Finally, Samus has the experience on her side. While Master Chief can hardly be called the loser, he failed to overcome Samus Aran.

ObadiahBlack

Sep 23, 2008
Personally, I found this article to be rather intriguing and well done. A pity we can't actually test out these claims, but alas, for what it's worth (a cute, quick lil' read), it was expertly composed and delivered. Kudos.

iTommeh

Apr 15, 2009
Interesting. However, you disregarded MC's close range melee attack. It's almost a one hit kill.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
Masterchief most certinaly:
*does an overdone nerd voice*

You see he has physical augmentation thank you very much. So even without his armour he has exceptional skill, besides if he was ever in a real bad spot he could just politley ask the Arbiter to orbitally bombard Samus.
Plus as Cortana put it... he has luck.

Right I think I just became twenty percent nerdier with that sentance.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Assuming we're talking in a realistic situation, Chief, because unlike samus, he's extremely crafty and resilient. He's trained to adapt to any situation, plus, his bones don't break and he's capable of flipping a tank. The only situation where samus would win is if they where in an empty room staring strait at each other when the fight began.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
Master chief
scenario 1: use plasma pistol (the halo 2 one that homes in on targets) to sap all energy, then use any weapon to finish her.

scenario 2: get into midrange and use the needler to kill her quickly and efficiently.

Bibliomancer

Apr 17, 2009
Samus. Quicker reflexes and better range of motion. She would run circles around Master Chief and destroy him.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Saw a video of this on youtube let me try and get the link.

Samus Vs Master Chief. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL-mR79GErU]

Mar 26, 2008
Nicely done; but I think I'd give Master Chief the edge in close quarters due to the almighty, overpowered Assault Rifle melee attack (as seen in any deathmatch). Samus' arm cannon might chip away MC's shield while he is closing the distance, but once he gets close enough one swat with the AR would send her head back to the Stone Age.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
The show deadliest warrior is fun to watch them use all the weapons, but the "weightings" they put on them are entirely arbitrary numerical values. The program simply runs statistical probabilities based on these values, and doesn't account for enough to actually simulate anything realistically. How is one axe a "20" and another a "30"? What does that mean? Nothing.

Oh, and Samus all the way!

Also, Samus is extremely fast and agile. She can jump REALLY god damn high with her rocket boot upgrade. Chief could never get in close range with how slow he is.

EDIT:

Here is a nerd fans dream of how it plays out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL-mR79GErU

The ending is retarded, and obviously serves as some sort of wet dream for the creator, but whatever.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
AC10 said:
The show deadliest warrior is fun to watch them use all the weapons, but the "weightings" they put on them are entirely arbitrary numerical values. The program simply runs statistical probabilities based on these values, and doesn't account for enough to actually simulate anything realistically. How is one axe a "20" and another a "30"? What does that mean? Nothing.

Also, Samus is extremely fast and agile. She can jump REALLY god damn high with her rocket boot upgrade. Chief could never get in close range with how slow he is.

EDIT:

The ending is retarded, and obviously serves as some sort of wet dream for the creator, but whatever.
Somebody already posted that.

Of course, Samus wins.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
sheic99 said:
AC10 said:

EDIT:

Somebody already posted that.

Of course, Samus wins.
Yeah I noticed that after I posted it. I'm too lazy to change it though. I went to all that work of typing it into youtube, I'm not taking it off now!

squeekenator

Dec 23, 2008
How would the Master Chief even stand a chance? Samus has more than just what you listed. Assuming they know each other's locations, she stands in a building and shoots wave beams at him. If they don't, she space jumps around, looking for him while out of his range and almost impossible to hit due to her speed, until she finds him. Once she does, she drops on him, hits him with Screw Attack, and instantly kills him. If, for some reason, that can't happen, she has power bombs, which do huge damage to everyone except Samus and would also clear out whatever he's trying to hide behind. If she gets in a single hit, the Master Chief gets frozen by Ice Beam. She can speed boost, which makes her invulnerable, gives her super speed, and makes her kill anyone she touches. While shooting plasma/wave/ice beams that go through anything and freeze anything they touch.

If there is any water around, Samus autowins, because she can stay well out of the range of a gun (which isn't too big when you're firing underwater) while shooting beams at the Master Chief. If there's an option to hide, she's better, because she can become a Morph Ball. As soon as she gets close, she unmorphs and Screw Attacks, which autokills whatever it touches.

What does the Master Chief have that lets him even think of competing with Samus?

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
Honestly, it depends on whether we're talking about Master Chief from the Halo books, or the video games. In the games, they toned down his power to add challenge. In the books, the authors intentionally made him absolutely unstoppable. I don't remember off the top of my head, but I think I read that with Cortana, his reaction time was essentially zero. For example, in one of the books, he used his hand to slap a missile fired from a fighter jet away from himself.

If we're talking about in-game powers, I think Samus would have a slight advantage. If we're talking about books or other forms that the universe takes place in, Master Chief no doubt. He is a character created by the authors to be absolutely unstoppable. It's not exactly fair.

Nerd Rank +1.

Jan 29, 2009
Programmed_For_Damage said:
Nicely done; but I think I'd give Master Chief the edge in close quarters due to the almighty, overpowered Assault Rifle melee attack (as seen in any deathmatch). Samus' arm cannon might chip away MC's shield while he is closing the distance, but once he gets close enough one swat with the AR would send her head back to the Stone Age.
Yes, but it depends which beam Samus uses, as over the course of the game, she acquires weapon upgrades, and in Metroid Prime 3, she can go into "Hypermode" and disintegrate the living crap out of anything.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2uuzz_hypermode-metroid-prime-3_videogames
at about 0:55.
I think we've all just proven how big nerds we are, by the way.
EDIT: Screw attack (The automatic Screw-You button :D)

LethalBargi

Feb 20, 2009
maddawg IAJI said:
Saw a video of this on youtube let me try and get the link.

Samus Vs Master Chief. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL-mR79GErU]
now that was one of the coolest things ive ever seen

Mar 26, 2008
Compatriot Block said:
For example, in one of the books, he used his hand to slap a missile fired from a fighter jet away from himself.
I'm not really a Master Chief fanboy but that is one of the most awesome things I have ever read. But I suppose the guy does flip tanks with his hands.