Poll: Death Metal: Do you likez it?

Bad Cluster

Nov 22, 2009
Growling? Huh?
My answer is obvious ;)

However, most of my CD's are melodic death metal like Mercenary, Insomnium, Disarmonia Mundi, Scar Symmetry, Kalmah etc.

Njaard

Sep 17, 2009
The Hairminator said:
Excuse me? Mathcore? You sir, have me intrigued.
It's kind of like progressive metal, but takes most of it's non-progressive influences from genres like metalcore or grindcore. So basically, it's a fancy name for prog-core.

G1eet

Mar 25, 2009
The Hairminator said:
Njaard said:
As someone mentioned earlier, death metal does not have to have growling vocals, and there are many other genres of metal where growling is used as the preffered vocal style. I find myself to enjoy death metal when I'm in the right mood, but generally I just listen to my Progressive metal and my mathcore.
It is a wonderful subgenre of metal. Bands like Protest the Hero and The Human Abstract tend to have some mathcore influenced tunes. I don't know any straight mathcore bands, but they're a good start.

On topic- I'm not a huge fan of straight death metal (Cannibal Corpse and the like), but I am of the bands with more melodic influences; In Flames, the Black Dahlia Murder (I cannot tell you how glad I am that Shannon left ATR for them), and whatever Daath falls under.

Kozo

Nov 15, 2008
Im what you would call an anti death metal type.. I still believe in music with lyrics and real tunes. No, im not one of those The Beatles hippies (Even though The Beatles rock :) ... When im in the mood. I sometimes push the limit to metal. Or heavy rock... :)

Death Metal is a sin! xD

L33tsauce_Marty

Jun 26, 2008
I need melody in my metal, thats probably why I don't have that much death metal. But some of it stands out for me when I want to listen to it. Job for a Cowboy, Cannibal Corpse, All Shall Perish, Vader are mostly what I listen to as far as DM goes.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
Njaard said:
The Hairminator said:
It's kind of like progressive metal, but takes most of it's non-progressive influences from genres like metalcore or grindcore. So basically, it's a fancy name for prog-core.
Meshuggah, for an example. Look up Shed and thank me later.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
Jaranja said:
garjian said:
it sucks,
on the basis that all metal sucks,
on the basis that all rock sucks.
Go back under your bridge!
you cant ask me if a like something, then complain when i say no...
why would the OP bother making the thread if that were the case?

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
garjian said:
Jaranja said:
garjian said:
it sucks,
on the basis that all metal sucks,
on the basis that all rock sucks.
Go back under your bridge!
you cant ask me if a like something, then complain when i say no...
why would the OP bother making the thread if that were the case?
A lot of people like Death Metal, you expect not to get a troll accusation?

SubjectSe7en

Apr 18, 2009
I like death metal when it's used properly as a genre. A lot of MODERN death metal bands use the stereotype of the genre as an excuse to be over the top and fill every verse with silly lyrics and guitar breaking riffs, and they end up as evil martyrs of the genre...
Death metal fans generally reject these bands though.
I prefer melo/thrash/black to be honest. But metal is metal.

k3v1n

Sep 7, 2008
basically in flames and Children of Bodom, don't know if that counts as death metal or melodi death metal or whatever

Alphavillain

Jan 19, 2008
Hell yeah. I can't understand how someone can dislike that stuff. Everyone should have some Morbid Angel on their iPod.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
I liked 90's Florida death metal (like most of Roadrunner's early 90s catalog). Obituary is my favorite band and oddly enough about the only band I haven't seen live from that era. For some reason my backwater hick city in southwest Florida always got club dates with major death metal bands.

Now it's for pure nostalgia value. It always gives me a chuckle to think back to when I was trying to be evil and scary as a teen. New death metal doesn't impress me much.