Poll: Did you know there was a new 3DS?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Nintendo has evidently released a new version of their 3DS called...New 3DS (must have taken them ages to come up with that name).

The New 3DS has a goofy little nubby (the C Stick; similar to the C stick on the Gamecube if anyone remembers that thing except smaller), Amiibo support, and a more powerful CPU. It will also have games that take advantage of this as well as games that will be exclusive to the New 3DS (so your old 3DS will not be able to play them period like "Xenoblade Chronicles 3D")

EDIT: People in the thread have also commented that the 3D works MUCH better (as in, it actually works this time). I wanted to put that in here if this is the first you're hearing of this device like me

What baffles me is that I had zero clue this thing even existed, let alone was out and ready for purchase. I almost bought Xenoblade Chronicles until a random comment [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.873682-So-my-3DS-XL-just-died-on-me#21933677] in a thread clued me into the New 3DS existing and that the game would be no use on my 3DS.

So I'm curious; am I the only one (cue Critical Miss "you're never the only one" image) that didn't know this thing existed and was out? Am I paying that little attention or is there no buzz or information about this thing whatsoever?

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
You could at least mention my name Tippy...Give me credit for my good deeds!

I honestly wasn't aware either until someone else mentioned it another thread. I always wanted to try Xenoblade, but spending a butt load of money on a WiiU didn't sound to thrilling. When I heard it was coming to 3DS I got excited, only to have my hopes crushed... Damn you Nintendo!!!!

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Elfgore said:
You could at least mention my name Tippy...Give me credit for my good deeds!

I honestly wasn't aware either until someone else mentioned it another thread. I always wanted to try Xenoblade, but spending a butt load of money on a WiiU didn't sound to thrilling. When I heard it was coming to 3DS I got excited, only to have my hopes crushed... Damn you Nintendo!!!!
Well, maybe it wasn't you Elfgore! The world doesn't revolve around you you know!!!!!!

...but yes, it was you. You did not raise my hopes up (that happened naturally when I saw Xeno on Best Buy's website) but you did get to be the one to crush the hell out of the dreams...

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
Come on, Tippy. We all know it does.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Yes i did. I head about it when it was announced. It was in the news room here. It also came out the same day as Monster hunter 4 ultimate. There was a bundle. I also saw a couple of commercials for it on t.v ( and i don't even watch tv that much).

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
I watched the Nintendo Direct where it was announced, like back in September? It made the news on this site too. There was quite a bit of talk about the Xenoblade Chronicles coming to 3DS (NN3DS only), since it was announced at the same time. A few people were upset that they had just bought a regular 3DS when this was announced and other people who were about to buy a 3DS and contemplated waiting a few months for the new one to launch. Pretty sure the fact that a new one was coming out came up in all the "Looking to get a 3DS" topics around here. Then there was the whole NN3DS Majora's Mask Ltd console drama too. I would've said a fair amount of hype I guess?

So far it only has one game that can only be played on it. Not known yet how many others they'll be or even if there will be others. It's not a new console generation, so the risk of it dividing the consumer base might be a deterrent. Future games will be able to take advantage of the new hardware for faster load times, but won't necessarily work only on NN3DS. For example in Code Name Steam NN3DS players will be able to speed through enemy turns but it's still playable on both systems.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
I saw it coming a while ago but since I could still play Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate on the 'old' 3DS XL, I didn't pay much attention to it.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Funny thig about the "new 3ds" is that people, when given nothing but the name, will assume it's just a 3ds redesigned.
Something like the 2ds.
You know, just like people thought the "WiiU" was a controller for the Wii and not an entirely new console.
And the thing is, they aren't even entirely wrong.

The darn thing isn't really a full step up in console generation, more like "it's really just a 3ds but can also have exclusive titles sometimes maybe but we will still also make 3ds games" kind of deal like the gameboy color only less justified.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Err yeah, the Escapist made a news on it ages ago

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137129-New-3DS-with-Xenoblade-Chronicles-Coming-2015

I for one keep taps on the gaming news for the most part.

In saying so however I am buffle how poorly label the Xenoblade Chronicle packaging is (UK) as it made no indication that it is an exclusive to the New Nitnendo 3DS only. It look like the same as the other 3DS games but there is nothing to say it is an exclusive.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
loa said:
Funny thig about the "new 3ds" is that people, when given nothing but the name, will assume it's just a 3ds redesigned.
Something like the 2ds.
You know, just like people thought the "WiiU" was a controller for the Wii and not an entirely new console.
And the thing is, they aren't even entirely wrong.

The darn thing isn't really a full step up in console generation, more like "it's really just a 3ds but can also have exclusive titles sometimes maybe but we will still also make 3ds games" kind of deal like the gameboy color only less justified.
That was my exact thinking. As others have pointed out, we got news of this thing a while ago but I never looked into it because I assumed it was a design upgrade (like the XL) rather than a new system with new releases that do not work on the old models...

I suppose that's what I get for assuming but I feel like Nintendo needs to meet me halfway here with a new name or something to show that games might not work on the old 3DS.

NoDamnNames

Feb 25, 2009
I was on the market for a new 3ds after it came out but a: it wasn't available where I was when I wanted to buy one and B: the 3dsxl went on sale and won me over at just 129 cdn. I don't currently have a need for the added features as the backlist of existing 3ds games could keep me busy for years. it feels like nintendo is once again setting up a mobile console to fail by saturating the market before it comes out and then poorly advertising it. certainly a classic nintendo move!

Limie

Feb 18, 2010
Scarim Coral said:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137129-New-3DS-with-Xenoblade-Chronicles-Coming-2015

In saying so however I am buffle how poorly label the Xenoblade Chronicle packaging is (UK) as it made no indication that it is an exclusive to the New Nitnendo 3DS only. It look like the same as the other 3DS games but there is nothing to say it is an exclusive.
What? It is black as opposed to 3DS white packaging and has written quite clearly on it "new 3DS exclusive". How is that confusing (also from UK).

I new before release date, I pre-ordered a special edition monster hunter one so that I can use the c stick for monster hunter 4. It looks awesome.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Didn't have a damned clue this was coming. Although TBH while I love Nintendo games I have been rather out of the loop on Nintendo news as I'm not fond of handheld gaming and the control schemes of the Wii and Wii U haven't really been to my taste so haven't really bothered to keep up.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Limie said:
Scarim Coral said:

What? It is black as opposed to 3DS white packaging and has written quite clearly on it "new 3DS exclusive". How is that confusing (also from UK).

I new before release date, I pre-ordered a special edition monster hunter one so that I can use the c stick for monster hunter 4. It looks awesome.
The cover I saw wasn't like this

Mainly it didn't had the black cover at the top.

In saying so I saw it at the Toy Symths store and it's probably one of those crappy cover cases on the shop floor.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Yeah, knew about this for a while because it provoked a lot of "WTH is this for so soon after the special editions?" in the tech community. A lot of people ran out to get the limited edition 3DS XLs (the coloured ones with motifs and were annoyed Nintendo were making a "3DS 1.5" with built in analogue nub.

Limie

Feb 18, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
The cover I saw wasn't like this

Mainly it didn't had the black cover at the top.

In saying so I saw it at the Toy Symths store and it's probably one of those crappy cover cases on the shop floor.
That's really crappy of them. This will confuse a lot of people. However they will just get an influx of people asking for refunds rather than buying a 200 pound console.

Game have just as bad practice though. They advertise games they do not stock. There have been a number of times I have gone into buy games that are out on the shelves and when you take them to the counter are told that they have never stocked the game but can order it into the store for you? I can easily just buy it more cheaply from other online retailers!!! I come to the store to buy a physical item and support the store argh!!!