Poll: Did you know there was a new 3DS?

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Yeah, I watch the Nintendo Directs so I knew it was coming and what the difference was.
I do agree, as with the WiiU, that if there is a big enough change in a "new" console, change the God damn name -.-

Broderick

May 25, 2010
Don't have one. Kind of want one for some of the newer games coming out for it in the future. The 3ds was announced ages ago though, so I don't know why you are just hearing about it now. Apparently it is just a substantially upgraded 3ds. More processing power and the like. According to word of god, The Binding of Isaac:Rebirth is coming out for it, and actually plays quite well on it. One of the original reasons why it didn't work out on the original 3ds is that the 3ds just wasn't up to snuff to actually play the game at a decent frame-rate. The game will be censor free too, in all it's bloody glory.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
WeepingAngels said:
busterkeatonrules said:
WeepingAngels said:
busterkeatonrules said:
Another one AGAIN?

Well, I had no idea - but this sort of thing is exactly why I don't really bother with Nintendo any more. It's hard to take them seriously when they genuinely seem more focused on churning out new consoles than making games for the damn things.
This has to be a joke, Nintendo has been on fire with the 3DS and they aren't doing too bad on the Wii U. I guess that you would know that if you bothered with Nintendo.
Sure they're on fire right NOW - until they make another set of consoles. Then, all the games that are popular now will get highly anticipated sequels that only work on the NEXT lineup of consoles. I bought the two first Professor Layton games for the first DS, then the series continued on the 3DS. And coming up next is a lineup of shiny, new 3DS games that won't work on the plain ol' DS.

Bottom line: Shelling out for a Nintendo console these days is a one-way ticket to Obsolescence Town, and in the end I decided to stick to the Sony train instead. True, the destination is ultimately the same - the PS4 is loudly making its presence known - but the journey has lasted a lot longer, and that is what matters to me!
LOL, not that I don't like Sony but the PS4 doesn't even have backwards compatibility. Atleast I can play my DS games on my 3DS and my Wii games on my Wii U and that's not even taking the Virtual Console into account. Going back further the Wii could play Gamecube games and Nintendo has always had backward compatibility on their handhelds.

I know you don't think this but the way you made it sound was that every Mario should have been released on the NES since that is where the franchise started.
I don't really need backwards compatibility on my Sony consoles because I still have my PS1, my PS2 and my PS3. And the reason I can afford all these consoles is because a new one only comes out once a decade or so. Start buying Nintendo consoles, and you'll never be done!

Yeah, Nintendo's backwards compatibility is great and all, but when I buy a new console I expect a steady stream of new games for it throughout the foreseeable future. As long as there's always a slightly more fancy Nintendo console right around the corner, my best bet as a consumer (who wants the biggest possible selection of games) is to keep waiting for the next one. And the next one.

I'm not bothering with Nintendo because I do not see this as a sustainable business model. (The only way I can buy a Nintendo console and be sure that it will remain top dog for any significant amount of time, is if Nintendo goes out of business immediately after releasing it!)

Now, if they were to make a FORWARDS compatible console (whose games would function on OLDER consoles, possibly with slightly fuzzier graphics etc.), I might well reconsider.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
What I find kinda sorta amusing is that when the thing was announced, some people remarked on how the name would confuse people. "Is it like a new 3DS, or like, a New 3DS?" I mean, it's not the greatest name ever, but I do think the worries were grossly exaggerated.

I own one myself, mostly for MH4U, though I have sadly been too backlogged on games to dedicate time to it.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Mahorfeus said:
What I find kinda sorta amusing is that when the thing was announced, some people remarked on how the name would confuse people. "Is it like a new 3DS, or like, a New 3DS?" I mean, it's not the greatest name ever, but I do think the worries were grossly exaggerated.
I'm not so sure if that problem is exaggerated though...

The voting is overwhelmingly in the "We've known about this forever" crowd but still, consider this in those numbers (as of this post that is)...

151 people have voted
15 people did not know about this thing until it actually launched (approx. 10%)
20 people did not know this thing existed (approx. 13%)

I don't think it's a stretch to argue that people on a gaming website are going to be MUCH more informed over gaming news and 23% of them either did not know this thing existed or did not know it existed until after it launched. Almost 1 in 4 of people who know gaming; what would this number look like for the casual gamer or the parents buying their kids these devices?

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I have, and I'm saving up to get one. There are a bunch of 3DS games I want to play;

Xenoblade Chronicles
Monster Hunter 4 (since they won't release it on Wii U! GRRRRR!)
Alpha Sapphire
3DS Fire Emblem Games
Majora's Mask 3D
A Link Between Worlds
Bravely Default

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
I knew there were plans for it, but didn't know it was out. Incredibly stupid name for it.

Did you buy a new 3DS or a new new 3DS? Not to mention how stupid it will sound a few years down the line.

"Yeah, bro. Did some retro gaming with my new 3DS."

Anyway, I'm mostly completely indifferent to the 3DS. Why? It doesn't have dual analog sticks. I don't want a portable that sacrifice camera control in action games for stupid touch screen gimmicks.

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
busterkeatonrules said:
I don't really need backwards compatibility on my Sony consoles because I still have my PS1, my PS2 and my PS3. And the reason I can afford all these consoles is because a new one only comes out once a decade or so. Start buying Nintendo consoles, and you'll never be done!

Yeah, Nintendo's backwards compatibility is great and all, but when I buy a new console I expect a steady stream of new games for it throughout the foreseeable future. As long as there's always a slightly more fancy Nintendo console right around the corner, my best bet as a consumer (who wants the biggest possible selection of games) is to keep waiting for the next one. And the next one.

I'm not bothering with Nintendo because I do not see this as a sustainable business model. (The only way I can buy a Nintendo console and be sure that it will remain top dog for any significant amount of time, is if Nintendo goes out of business immediately after releasing it!)

Now, if they were to make a FORWARDS compatible console (whose games would function on OLDER consoles, possibly with slightly fuzzier graphics etc.), I might well reconsider.
I think you're being a little hyperbolic? There's really not as much difference in console life spans as you're you're making out. It's true that Sony console generations have lasted a bit longer than Nintendo console generations, but I wouldn't think it's the difference between "lasts a decade" and "you'll never be done upgrading" though. Typically Sony's generations have lasted about a year longer than Nintendo's and none of them have been 10 years long, for home consoles the average is like 6 years.

Nintendo did have a particularly short handheld console generation with the GBA which was less than 5 years or something, but asides from that handheld console generations have been longer than home console generations. There's been re-designs for the handhelds, but with the exception of this and 5? shovel-ware games for the DSi, all the redesigns are compatible with the same games. This just seems to me a weird complaint?

I think WeepingAngels' point about backwards compatibility was that it's possible to skip every second Nintendo console generation and still be able to play all the games. Even less need to "frequently?" upgrade.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Yes, I knew it for a long time and since this is nintendo, I didn't give a fuck.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
I knew it was coming, wasn't keep tabs on it so I didn't know it was out. So far the only game its got is Xenoblade Chronicles so I will wait until there is more software for it before upgrading.
Monster Hunter 4U runs way prettier and faster on it to, iirc so does majoras mask.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Bellvedere said:
I think you're being a little hyperbolic? There's really not as much difference in console life spans as you're you're making out. It's true that Sony console generations have lasted a bit longer than Nintendo console generations, but I wouldn't think it's the difference between "lasts a decade" and "you'll never be done upgrading" though. Typically Sony's generations have lasted about a year longer than Nintendo's and none of them have been 10 years long, for home consoles the average is like 6 years.
Well, I've been focusing on Sony since the late days of the PS1, so obviously I'm going to be a little fuzzy on Nintendo-related details. I should probably clarify that I don't profess to tell anyone what Nintendo actually looks like, or SHOULD be said to look like - I'm only saying what Nintendo looks like to ME. And to me, Sony simply looks better.

Nintendo did have a particularly short handheld console generation with the GBA which was less than 5 years or something, but asides from that handheld console generations have been longer than home console generations. There's been re-designs for the handhelds, but with the exception of this and 5? shovel-ware games for the DSi, all the redesigns are compatible with the same games. This just seems to me a weird complaint?
It is none the less a complaint. As I have said before: Once I buy a Sony console, I know that said console will remain state-of-the-art until something comes along that may be considered an actual, necessary update. Nintendo, on the other hand, just seem to trot out a minor tweak or a new, silly gimmick whenever the fancy takes them.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with either approach - only that I personally prefer the Sony way of doing things!

I think WeepingAngels' point about backwards compatibility was that it's possible to skip every second Nintendo console generation and still be able to play all the games. Even less need to "frequently?" upgrade.
And that is indeed a very good point. However, when I buy a new console, it is not because I want to look backwards. It is beacuse I want to look ahead, at what that console might offer me in the future. The day I buy a Nintendo console is the day the future of gaming no longer interests me.

Bottom line: At present, I personally prefer Sony over Nintendo, and while this may well change in the future, it has not changed because of the most recent iteration of the 3DS which is under discussion here.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
I've known since it was announced.
Between Nintendo of America believing that only the XL version should come to North America (I want portability and I have small hands) and only a small number of improvements over the 3DS - better loading and 3D, wee - it's not exactly begging for me to get it. Until there are some killer games that I'm willing to fork over $30-40 each and whatever a New 3DS costs, and frankly, NoA brings the smaller version here, will I even consider it.

Tilly

Mar 8, 2015
Weirdest thread ever.
Yes, of course I knew. I bought it at launch with Majora's Mask and then got Xenoblade Chronicles.
The C-stick, FYI, is really quite excellent for controlling the camera in 3rd person games. But dreadful for aiming in shooters.

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
Yeah, I knew about it. I even have one. The Red one, specifically. My impressions -

The Good-
- Plays New 3DS only games (obviously).
- Has native amiibo support (if you're into that sort of thing).
- The 3D is actually consistent enough that I sometimes want to use it! Still not often, but it's not as completely useless as it was on the original. As I generally abhor 3D in all its forms, making 3D that I don't mind using is a huge step up for Nintendo.
- I have no real way to quantify this, but I feel like the speakers are better. The sound seems fuller, and they have a louder max volume than the old 3DS XL.
- The system transfer tool to move all of your content from your old 3DS to the New 3DS is pretty good (at least by Nintendo's abysmal account management standards), even if it does run a little slow. However, it requires you to have both systems on hand, so if you were planning to trade your old one in towards a new one, you may not be able to.

The Bad-
- The C-stick is alright, but only just alright - I'd like a little more precision from it (or, you know, just a second circle pad).
- The second set of shoulder buttons aren't located in an intuitive place - I really have to fish for them. I haven't played a game that really utilizes them yet, though, so maybe I just need more time with it.
- The stylus is bigger and fatter, and it tends to twist when you're putting it back in the slot. Due to the weird shape of the stylus base, it tends to get slightly stuck when this happens. It's not a big issue, it's just annoying that I can't reflexively slide the stylus in and out without thinking about it anymore.
- Speaking of the stylus, both the stylus slot and the game card slot are now on the front of the device. This makes it look weirdly lopsided, and I'm always afraid that my palm is going to accidentally eject the game card, although it hasn't happened yet.
- In general, it just feels a lot more cheaply made than the old 3DS XL. It doesn't have a matte finish, so it's a fingerprint magnet, and fingerprints are super visible on the (very shiny) shell. The bottom shell is removable (more on that later) and it doesn't feel like it's ever fully seated. Mine makes an audible *click* noise where the plate shifts against the back of the unit when you pick it up.
- Changing the memory card is a stupidly complex ordeal. You have to unscrew and remove the backplate of the device (which is pretty nerve-wracking, as the backplate itself seems really fragile, and it takes quite a bit of force to remove it) in order to get at the microSD card slot.

All in all, unless you really, really want to play Xenoblade Chronicles 3D like I do, I can't say I recommend the New 3DS. The 3D is a lot better, yes, but virtually everything else about it seems worse. It manages to simultaneously be overdesigned and, very surprisingly for a Nintendo product, somewhat low-quality.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Haven't these things been out for a while now? I got one just after Christmas. Came with some weird little amiibo thingy.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
ultrabiome said:
I've known since it was announced.
Between Nintendo of America believing that only the XL version should come to North America (I want portability and I have small hands) and only a small number of improvements over the 3DS - better loading and 3D, wee - it's not exactly begging for me to get it. Until there are some killer games that I'm willing to fork over $30-40 each and whatever a New 3DS costs, and frankly, NoA brings the smaller version here, will I even consider it.
That's the big issue I seem to be running into; I'm one of those crazy people that want their portable handhelds to be...well...portable (without a backpack that is). I probably wouldn't get this thing anyway but the lack of a normal sized one means I definitely won't get one. Shame because I've heard such great things about Xenoblade...

Tilly said:
Weirdest thread ever.
Weirder than Eternal Nothingness's "Blow up Sonic" thread?

*looks at join date

Oh....you lucky/poor bastard missing that one :D

Islandbuffilo

Apr 16, 2011
I found out about it once I finally amassed a decent 3DS collection. Kind of pissed that since I was a year late I had to hunt down Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii and I can't post screenshots of Monster hunter 4 ultimate nor can I use amiibos without a peripheral . Silver lining is my old 3ds came with a charger, uses a regular SD card that doesn't require a screw driver to remove, and its a limited edition one, never had much a problem with getting the 3-D to work for most games.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Was the OP not aware of the New 3DS because it pretty much sold out Day out day one. Also people were bitching about the missing charger and the Limited Supply of Majora's Mask Limited edition. I understood the low supply of MM special edition's since you can still buy the Link between world's 3DS XL new at msrp. Nintendo can go screw them selves for including the charger. I don't want to hear most people already owned the charger. Gamestop sold out of preorders because they gave you a 100 dollar trade in credit for trading in the Xl and that required you to give up the charger.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
kilenem said:
Was the OP not aware of the New 3DS because it pretty much sold out Day out day one
I can't speak for the other 24 people (as of this post) who were also oblivious but I didn't know about it because when I heard of a new 3DS when this thing was announced, I assumed it was like the fifty other 3DS consoles Nintendo released (like the 3DS XL or the 2DS); I did not realize that it was a new handheld that would have exclusive games.

thanatos388

Apr 24, 2012
kilenem said:
Was the OP not aware of the New 3DS because it pretty much sold out Day out day one. Also people were bitching about the missing charger and the Limited Supply of Majora's Mask Limited edition. I understood the low supply of MM special edition's since you can still buy the Link between world's 3DS XL new at msrp. Nintendo can go screw them selves for including the charger. I don't want to hear most people already owned the charger. Gamestop sold out of preorders because they gave you a 100 dollar trade in credit for trading in the Xl and that required you to give up the charger.
Pre-Ordering those Majoras Mask 3DS' was a gamble anyway. A bunch of shops let too many people pre-order relative to how many Nintendo sent them and then about 1/4 of them had a bunch of dead pixels on the screen(s) forcing people to turn them in for vanilla versions. How can Nintendo fuck up so much so consistently? Its kinda out of character. Selling too little of faulty hardware? These people used to be untouchable leaders in the industry.