Poll: Did You Receive An Allowance?

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Growing up, once I got into high school, I was given $40 on the first of every month to spend as I pleased. That was about it though.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
i used to get around 20 bucks as a kid, 50 bucks as a teenager.
Apart from that we have Otoshidama in the new year and get about 100 bucks from each adult so I guess had enough cash when I was growing up.

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
I never had anything steady, but if I wanted some money I did something to earn it.

dementis

Aug 28, 2009
I received an allowance for the completion of chores until I was 13, I was then told that if I wanted a continued allowance that I'd need to start doing a small job. I ended up doing 3 paper rounds that spanned 10 miles and 60 subscription papers a day. Actually earned me a nice bit of money for my age.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
When I was really young, I would often ask for the change that my parents got when they made purchases at stores. I would usually only add up to a few cents, but I would always save my money for bigger things later (I was surprisingly patient and organized for a child my age).

Later, in order to teach me responsibility, I would do simple chores around the house and got an allowance (about $5 or $10) a week. Again, it wasn't much, but I would always save my money and I would get a lot of great things over time.

Once I started high school, I would do chores around the house and I would no longer get an allowance. It didn't really bother me though; I would have a lot of money saved up, and I also did odd jobs on the weekends.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
Yes I got pocket money. I received £5 a week which started when I was about 8 years old as my parents thought it would be a good idea to teach me responsibility and how to manage money, for which I am grateful.

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
My mom tells me she would sometimes put money into my money sack when she had extra. I never used money so I never knew I had an allowance.

Axyun

Oct 31, 2011
Never.

Started working off the books when I was 12.

Once I started working on the books at 16 I would give my parents $50 every two weeks to help with my share of living expenses. The rest of the money I used to buy my clothes and entertainment.

As I've made more money over the years, I've given more to my parents.

I now give them a little over $600 every two weeks.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Nope. If I wanted to buy the newest game or money to watch a movie with your friends, that meant spending four hours reorganizing the attic for around $20. Allowance baffles me.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
triggrhappy94 said:
No. Whenever I asked for one my mom just told me about how when I was five I had one, but didn't do choirs.
I guess that meant I wasn't ever allowed one again.
In retrospect, that sums up my childhood pretty well.
From my experience of my friend's little sister, five year olds are barely more competent than toddlers in most regards. Not really sure how she could have expected you to do much in the way of work, or understand a payment agreement. That's stupid.

william12123

Oct 22, 2008
Got a buck a week until I was a teen. Then it was 2 bucks! SCORE! Although it was for chores. Most of my money I earned doing jobs around the neighborhood (mowing lawns, shovelling snow, etc...). A nice thing my parents did was never actually give me my allowance in cash: I had this little account booklet that I would use to save up until I could get something useful.