Poll: Did you think Watchmen was good

RomanLegacy

May 6, 2009
They were both great. Using bob dylan songs in the movie were over the top awesome-sauce though.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
Wadders said:
Loved the film, but never read the book, might get round to it sometime...

But yeah, I thought the film was spectacular, it exceeded my expectations.
I think if you'd read the novel your expectations would have been higher - I reckon you should check it out.

OP: I recommend both but would suggest to read the novel first as this is the source. I'm not a puritan but this is how Alan Moore wanted his story to be delivered.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
cleverlymadeup said:
comadorcrack said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
Disliked the film, enjoyed the book. Snyder missed the point of making an adaptation when he had a scene for scene recreation of the comic book. You have to tweak and adjust things for a movie, not just slap it on screen as if Moore was writing storyboard. Otherwise, what's the point?
I respectfully disagree, while he did follow the main plot mostly word for word, he did drop alot of minor characters and alot of the under arching sub-plots. He did adapt quit a bit of it also, most of it was dumbing down the diolouge granted, but it was done as to make it accessable to the general public.
i think the extended cut has a lot of what's been taken out put back in and/or has been adapted, such as under the hood

All in all I really loved the movie, asides from Dark Knight its easilly the best comic addaptation on screen. If you've not seen it yet then please do go, have your perceptions on right and wrong. Read the book first though, because you'll get a much better feel for the plot.
i don't think the Dark Knight was that great of an adaptation, it was good but not better than Watchmen, they REALLY missed the point of the Joker

as for the topic on hand, i really liked Watchmen and didn't really mind the changes they've made from the original story
Watchmen was a good adaptation, but I felt it lost a lot of impact from the book by taking away the "this affects absolutely everyone" tone. Yes, they dumbed it down a lot and focused on the love story and action sequences to reach a wider audience. I'm sure an extended edition will make amends by including the subplots that the main plot rests upon. I was disappointed by the theatrical release, but it could have been much worse.

Dark Knight is still an epic fail on the adaptation front though. We didn't just miss out on some of the underlying stuff that supports the characters and their tale - we were handed a sack of emotional clownfish and told we'd find a Joker inside. Sort of like buying a box of soggy flake cereal because it has a cool toy prize - you can still eat the cereal, but it's rather unappetizing to some who just wanted the toy. Props to Ledger for flexing his acting ability (I wasn't sure he had much going for him before), but what he brought to the Joker was totally out of place and went the opposite direction of humorously insane clown pimp into tragically greasy lunatic hobo territory.

Golden Gryphon

Jun 10, 2009
I've read the comic and went to see the film with someone who hadn't and we both really really enjoyed it. He likes gritty violent films and I liked the comic stuff. The plot was simplified enough for him to follow it and while I agree that the ending was unsatisfactory I know that since they cut out the other stuff it made the most sense. I was a bit shocked at the scale of violence compared to the comic and was glad I knew when to look away. I liked the soundtrack especially since they included some of the stuff quoted in the comic. Obviously the comic was better but the film wasn't bad.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
Its very good., both the film and the book. Actually, does anyone know when the film is being released on DVD in Europe?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I thought the movie was ok, so many parts could've been cut down/out. But I don't think it lived up to the hype or was the godsend people claimed it to be.

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
The book is genius, the movie is respectable.

The revised ending was not totally horrible, better than I expected actually. The things I did not understand at all was the slow-mo, the exaggerated damage, and the music. Especially as the heroes in Watchmen are supposed to have no superpowers or superhuman strength at all. If the effects were toned way down, the result would have been a bigger impact on the viewer. With all the exaggeration, it didn't even feel anyone was getting hurt.

In short, the fight scenes should have been more like Oldboy (albeit obviously not as long as this scene).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wha0brbb_44&fmt=22

Fumbles

Apr 15, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
They were both great, albeit the ending for the movie made no sense.
WHAT???? The ending to the comic was half assed, and extremely lame! At least the Movie made sense.

Ginnipe

May 25, 2009
I have never seen any Watchmen comic before seing the movie, and frankly I felt alienated since I had know idea what was going on alot of the time and was wondering why that John guy always had his blue balls hanging out all the time. Also what i didn't get was how did that girl that was always wearing yellow like that other ugly guy. I never really understood much till the end but I thought the little action that it had was okay. Also what I didn't understand was why was their so much gore, when your arms get chopped off you don't lose 99% of your bodies blood in 5 seconds.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Both were excellent, and portray to the media of the time in a way quite fitting. But, since the original author was involved in the creation of the movie, I don't consider them the same story. I consider it more of a retelling of the story, with some changes, some for better, some for worse, but still the same inspirational tale. Same kind of thing with V for Vendetta, they changed it a bit, but it's still the same characters, living the same experiences, with some different dialog here and there.

kperry148

Apr 12, 2009
Ken_J said:
I recently read the comic of Wathmen after seeing the Movie and thought both were excilent, what do you think?
i agree, but with better spelling.

Ginnipe said:
Also what I didn't understand was why was their so much gore, when your arms get chopped off you don't lose 99% of your bodies blood in 5 seconds.
what did you expect from a film about WW3, superheroes, the end of the world etc. i dont think a little excess gore is a major failing, plus i didnt think that part was over the top in the bloody mess department, hell i lose more blood each time i give blood! i could be wrong cos its a hile since i saw it, but i didnt think that scene was overly furnished in the gore department.

Fumbles said:
NoMoreSanity said:
WHAT???? The ending to the comic was half assed, and extremely lame! At least the Movie made sense.
i agree, the ending to the book was a little bit far fetched, but the movie made a lot more sense, and the slight change to the ending made more sense in the movie version than in the book.

bob-2000

Jun 28, 2009
I thought that they were both good, but the book was still better. The movie had no subtlety, as evidenced by the frequent and incredibly long fight scenes. The acting in the movie could of been waaaaay better
On the bright side, the imaging in the movie was fantastic.

Fumbles

Apr 15, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
Fumbles said:
NoMoreSanity said:
The comic's ending was extremely well done and surprising. The movie made no sense.

Okay, why woud the Soviets make peace with the U.S if Manhatten was a U.S soldier?
Well they did in the comic as well. They were afraid of Manhatten.ALso Maybe because he has fucking superpowers.
Come on it was a "squid" infused with bad thoughts, and energy... Well thought out my ass. Alan Moore is not as awesome as he claims to be.

Fumbles

Apr 15, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
Fumbles said:
NoMoreSanity said:
Fumbles said:
NoMoreSanity said:
The comic's ending was extremely well done and surprising. The movie made no sense.

Okay, why woud the Soviets make peace with the U.S if Manhatten was a U.S soldier?
Well they did in the comic as well. They were afraid of Manhatten.
Come on it was a "squid" infused with bad thoughts, and energy... Well thought out my ass. Alan Moore is not as awesome as he claims to be.
Eh, opinions.
Good job sir...Good Job