Poll: Did your PS2 ever break?

ten.to.ten

Mar 17, 2011
After literally about two-dozen people quoting a remark I made in another thread about how I never knew anyone who didn't have to replace their PS2 at least once, I couldn't help but get curious. How many escapists had their PS2 break on them, and how many times as it happened to you?

I've gone through two PS2s, the first one I got in 2002 as a bundle with Final Fantasy X, and that lasted until 2005, when the mechanism that moved the laser died. I then bought a slim PS2 in a bundle with GT4, which, thankfully, still works perfectly to this day. What about you?

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
My PS2 never broke. Admittedly by the end it didn't play DVDs, and a few games, but it still worked on most games.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
One of mine did. I was playing it and it and the game just randomly froze. After shutting it off, it didn't come back on, I had to pry the disc out.

Oh well, my PS3 has backwards compatibility.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Mine never failed mean and I bought it on launch day. For that matter, neither did my 360. (although I've since sold it so perhaps the chap who got it after me has had back luck). I guess I'm just lucky.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
My PS2 didn't play CDs or PS1 games for a while before it just stopped reading discs completley at which point I replaced it. It hasn't failed me again yet.

K84

Feb 15, 2010
Have had mine since 2006, it's still running.
Games, DVD etc.

I need to replay San Andreas once in a while.
Keeps me happy.

Xelt

May 11, 2008
Only once, andsit was a slim one, which my dog decided would be a very nice place to go to the toilet. Worst of all the CD tray was open...so it got all inside.

Gerrawn

Apr 2, 2009
I've had one for quite a good number of years now, don't know the exact numbers, but it's still fully functional. Now the controllers on the other hand, those things broke down a couple of months ago.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
I've still got my old fat one, and it works, kinda. It has issues playing any disc with a dark bottom, but that's of little concern to me, my PS3 plays everything, so the 2 is just gathering dust right now.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
I had one fail (and I wouldn't quite call it a fail to be honest) But me and my older brother played our launch day PS2 so much that we actually burnt out the laser that read the discs, so we went to a game shop near by and they gave/installed a new laser for free :)

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Bought a refurbished model in 2004. Never had any problems with it, though it is a bit finicky with Blue discs.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
It never failed me...
But some games I had (I suspect they were counterfeit) stopped playing after like 1 playthrough, so you had to buy a new copy of that game and it worked fine.

Nostalgia

Mar 8, 2009
Nope. Still works great.
At one point it wouldn't read PS1 games, DvDs or CDs, but it was an easy fix. After I used a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol, it reads like a pro.

This thing went through a lot of abuse and long periods of being on. I would keep it on overnight or even up to two days sometimes. It also was on during the mass blackout that the NE had years ago (2003) and thankfully didn't short-circuit or anything.
Lost about two hours of progress on a game though. :(

Kurokasumi

Aug 11, 2009
My Ps2 has been going strong the last 5 years or so. In that time my 360 has died 3 times and my PS3 has died once.
Oh teh ironyz.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
I have a release day PS2, it no longer reads discs. I could replace the disc drive fairly easily however.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I had my fat PS2 break, but that was only due to the disc tray malfunctioning. My Slim PS2 never broke even once.