Poll: Die Hard or Godfather?

Matthew Jabour

Jan 13, 2012
So it's 2 in the morning, and I'm still awake on the internet. My brain is 80% shut down, but for some reason I felt like making a post. By now this is probably long enough to not be flagged as spam, so which of these two classic movies do you prefer?

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Both? They're in completely different genres and are both nearly flawless. The only thing determining the choice is if you prefer standard action fare over mobster conspiracy, or vice versa.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
They're not really comparable are they? One's a dark, gritty crime drama, the other's a big, epic no holds barred action movie. They're in entirely different ball parks and some of the best examples in their respective genres.

I'd say Die Hard scratched an itch more than Godfather did as I really like action movies, but I wouldn't necessarily say Die Hard is better.

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
They are completely different movies and thus cannot be compared.

However, for discussion's sake, if I were to arbitrarily compare them, I would say this:

Die Hard is an action flick. A GREAT action flick, perhaps the best one there is, but it still isn't anywhere near as grand as the Godfather.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I choose Die Hard over Godfather for its entertainment value as an action-movie. That and Christmas in Hollis.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
I don't know, you can't really compare them because they're completely different styles/genres. I like them both a lot.

hellooonewman

Aug 16, 2013
Both are great movies, agreed. But I'd go for Godfather because I'm a sucker for mafia movies. Almost my secret dream to be one.

And come on eh. The one liners Godfather gives you, just cant beat that.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
Personally I believe The Godfather is one of the most overrated movies of all time but then I find it hard to be objective about it as I have very little interest in mafia/gangster stories

Die Hard on the other hand is one of my favourite action movies but it's weird to compare them really as they're two completely different movies

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Neuromancer said:
They are completely different movies and thus cannot be compared.

However, for discussion's sake, if I were to arbitrarily compare them, I would say this:

Die Hard is an action flick. A GREAT action flick, perhaps the best one there is, but it still isn't anywhere near as grand as the Godfather.

hes asking for an opinion on what you prefer not for an empirical proof of whats best so you can choose.

Die hard for me , Godfather is seriously over rated in my opinion

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
zumbledum said:
hes asking for an opinion on what you prefer not for an empirical proof of whats best so you can choose.

And by saying I find that Die Hard isn't nearly as grand as The Godfather I stated my opinion on the matter, clearly showing my preference towards The Godfather.

AidoZonkey

Musician With A Heart Of Gold
Oct 18, 2011
Godfather is the pinnacle of movie art. A beautiful looking film with so much narrative which never falters in its delivery.

However, I'm sorry but Die Hard is just so much more fun. They are both great film in different ways but to me the Godfather is not a film I can watch over and over again. I mean Die Hard is part of my Christmas tradition and I watch it every year, and as much as I like the Godfather, I know for a fact I cant watch it every year.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Matthew Jabour said:
So it's 2 in the morning, and I'm still awake on the internet. My brain is 80% shut down, but for some reason I felt like making a post. By now this is probably long enough to not be flagged as spam, so which of these two classic movies do you prefer?
...how is this even a question?

I'm aware the everything is subjective, that people have the right to their own opinions, and that what I look for in a movie may be totally different from what you look for. But that only goes so far. To choose Die Hard over the Godfather is just straight-up objectively wrong, and I have a signed letter from God to prove it.

I just...what...I don't even...

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Neuromancer said:
zumbledum said:

And by saying I find that Die Hard isn't nearly as grand as The Godfather I stated my opinion on the matter, clearly showing my preference towards The Godfather.
Well, grand could go either way, you could have been using it to mean overblown and pompous :p

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Godfather bored the tits off of me, Die Hard is my favourite Christmas film, next to Bad Santa.

Die Hard wins.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Damn... tough call...

I really love both of these movies and each is appealing in a unique way but I guess I'll have to say the original Die Hard... mostly because it makes me laugh AND feel good when I'm done watching it. This is entirely subjective and based mostly on the fact that I prefer pulpy action/adventure to grim drama...

Still, it's not an easy choice because The Godfather makes grim drama REALLY entertaining.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
The Godfather is the more critically celebrated and artistically important film.

Die Hard is a silly action film. Perhaps the best silly action film ever made, but a silly action film nonetheless.

I watched Godfather once, and greatly admired the craft of everyone involved.

I've seen Die Hard over 20 times. It's our annual "Christmas movie". I even saw it three times in a row when it was new in theaters, with my Dad.

Although you'll never heard me making the argument that it's the "better" film, it's Die Hard for me, and it's not even close.*

*[sub]I am speaking ONLY of the original film in each series.[/sub]

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Dudes, of course they're comparable he asked which did you prefer not which is better. I'd say Godfather but I haven't seen Die Hard.