Poll: Difference of Cultures: America and Western Styles Vs. Japan and Eastern sytles

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Really, I like both. Because honestly I can blame japan for these characters: Light Yagami. Naruto Uzumaki. Asbel Lhant. Hope and Snow from FF13. About 70% of the protagonists of anime. You know, all those grating, supposedly hero characters that at the end of the day, you just want to hit and hit until they cry like babies. Then keep hitting 'til they stop.

Then again, they brought me things like Persona, and Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Final Fantasy, Dark Souls and etc. Really good stuff. (And if i'm wrong about where these came from, my bad. -x- I just generally assumed.)

And, some of that really good stuff is basically influenced or drawn upon by Western things. Not to mention i'm pretty sure GTA, Red Dead Redemption, F.E.A.R., Bioshock, Deus Ex and Mass Effect came from, well, not the east.

Though again, I can blame them for all sorts of things I dislike as well.

I think the real thing, is that I love them when they're done well, or when they're mixed to ccreate something wholly great. (Like original Devil May Cry.) But, when done badly, they're face melting terrible. Though, when they do it bad, i'd say the eastern stuff tends to have it worse. I mean, bad western stuff typically is just forgettable, but many japanese things that go bad are mind grating.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I honestly like both, they each have their positives and negatives when it comes to storytelling and in the case of gaming, game design. I can't say which I prefer as there are eastern and western story telling tropes I like and dislike. This is mostly in terms of gaming, I don't care about movies, TV, music, etc. enough to talk about those, but if I really had to choose, I think I prefer Japanese game design by a slight margin.

That may be why I like the Zelda series so much, it's in a medieval western setting, with lots of eastern influence and Asian developers.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Well I could be missing something in translation but I feel that in terms of entertainment culture, both America and Japan (I make no claims for any other countries) both feature a disturbing lack of subtlety. Japanese media leads its audience around by the nose and almost entirely eschews the finer points of lying (sarcasm is a form of lying) while American media cannot tell a joke without explaining every part of it. Also American tv has laughable plots which can be dissected within minutes.

In comparison, UK tv leaves as much unsaid as possible and trusts its audience to pick up on the implications. Canadian stand up comedy is very good at this too. Brevity of wit is an artform there.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Amethyst Wind said:
Well I could be missing something in translation but I feel that in terms of entertainment culture, both America and Japan (I make no claims for any other countries) both feature a disturbing lack of subtlety. Japanese media leads its audience around by the nose and almost entirely eschews the finer points of lying (sarcasm is a form of lying) while American media cannot tell a joke without explaining every part of it. Also American tv has laughable plots which can be dissected within minutes.

In comparison, UK tv leaves as much unsaid as possible and trusts its audience to pick up on the implications. Canadian stand up comedy is very good at this too. Brevity of wit is an artform there.
I wouldn't know as I don't watch comedies and am generally dense about sarcasm. But I can comment on plots; both countries make good and horrible plots. Japan's tendency towards ambiguity and self-interpretation has led to works like Evangelion (let's not start this here, you really can't deny that it was unique) and their tendency to make entire worlds has led to Gundam and To aru Majutsu no Index(both have self-contained universes with a lot of characters and interactions). Unfotuantly, it also leaves a lot of problems due to translation issues and cultural differences and a trend is appearing of less plot and more fanservice of both physical and pandering types.

America seems to like more grounded and less fanciful worlds which is excellent if you are doing cyberpunk, crime drama, or any type of work based on allegory. But, the focus on realism can a turnoff for those who want to escape reality (like me) and limits how characters can interact with each other and themselves.

Note that this is my very biased view point so comment and correct as needed.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Chaos Isaac said:
Really, I like both. Because honestly I can blame japan for these characters: Light Yagami. Naruto Uzumaki. Asbel Lhant. Hope and Snow from FF13. About 70% of the protagonists of anime. You know, all those grating, supposedly hero characters that at the end of the day, you just want to hit and hit until they cry like babies. Then keep hitting 'til they stop.

Then again, they brought me things like Persona, and Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Final Fantasy, Dark Souls and etc. Really good stuff. (And if i'm wrong about where these came from, my bad. -x- I just generally assumed.)

And, some of that really good stuff is basically influenced or drawn upon by Western things. Not to mention i'm pretty sure GTA, Red Dead Redemption, F.E.A.R., Bioshock, Deus Ex and Mass Effect came from, well, not the east.

Though again, I can blame them for all sorts of things I dislike as well.

I think the real thing, is that I love them when they're done well, or when they're mixed to ccreate something wholly great. (Like original Devil May Cry.) But, when done badly, they're face melting terrible. Though, when they do it bad, i'd say the eastern stuff tends to have it worse. I mean, bad western stuff typically is just forgettable, but many japanese things that go bad are mind grating.
Light is an odd character, I'm a fan of the manipulative basterd, Hell Lelouch Vi Britannia is my favorite character but I can understand why it turns people off. There are theories as to why Japan likes more "whiny" (in quotes because of varying opinions) characters; the one i heard that fits the best is that they want to have characters to sympathize with and hope that they push through their problems rather than idolize and hope they kick ass though anyone who has studied Japanese Culture extensively can correct me as much as needed.

I never said that good games are exclusive to Japan, just that there is a difference in styles that i've debated with others on which is better (hell, I love Deus Ex and Mass Effect). also you are correct about the origins of Persona, Trigun, and what not.

As for why bad Japanese stuff is grating, the cop-out answer would be cultural differences and mistranslation (Familiar of Zero and it's tsundere character Louise is probably an example that would get me a lot of flak). I would like a more elaborate answer but my bias and lack of professional study limits my ability to comment beyond "Japan is group based and America is more on the individual"

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Desert Punk said:
I like both in different areas. Japanese cartoons and such are great, good pacing, fun stories and what not. But I really cant stand Japanese games, they are just terrible to me.

I am so so on Western cartoons and the like (Fuck Annoying Orange and whoever came up with that shit) but love Western stories.

if I recall from Extra Credits its the "You has the power!" aspect of japanese games where as your power comes from yuor environment in more western games.
Well, I'm kind of the opposite, I love Japanese anime and games with the fact that they pull so many elements from other cultures to make interesting work along with the reasons you stated (look up iitoko dori to understand why they do that) But i can understand why the emphasis on either extreme skill and repetition (fighters) or extreme time devotion (jrpgs) can push people away

A lot of western stories don't have the expansive world of Gundam or Index but I do appricate the allegory used in some well-crafted works. As for cartooning, I prefer the more abstract and absurd stuff like Tom and Jerry, Loony Toons (i'm 18, I like a bit of slapstick) or more storied stuff like Generator Rex and Ben 10 (not spectacular but they have a consistent universe and fun concepts)

I believe that I have seen that Extra Credits episode, this is a particular difference that could potentially be used to make better media but would require intrinsic knowledge of both to understand how to use that to enhance or deconstruct player expectations.

scarfacetehstag

Feb 12, 2011
I much prefer Western stuff, but I'll admit I'm ignorant to a lot of Asian things. The stuff I like I really like and get absorbed into(Cowboy Bebop, Seven Samurai, Dark Souls) but I just hate the bad stuff. It's all overblown, whiny effeminate protags, wild tonal shifts and the awful cutsie stuff just grinds my gears. I also just don't like Eastern animation, which seems the be the grand sum of Eastern pop culture, all the characters have the same faces. (Any anime vs Venture Bros)

I see it's appeal, but I like the subtlety more in Western stuff than any Asian thing.(There are five minute monologues explaining why an event is important in anime.)

To each their own eventually, but every Eastern thing I really like seems to be heavily inspired by Western media.(MGS, Kurosawa, Cowboy Bebop)

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Izanagi009 said:
I don't see why I should have to choose. I love them both for different reasons. I love anime, and I love Disney and other western animations. I love the music and characters in Disney movies (obviously), as well as the artistry and care in the animation. All you're doing is comparing fight scenes. Like really, give me a Japanese animated musical as catchy and inspiring as Beauty and the Beast, or the Little Mermaid, or Aladdin, or An American Tail.

But that is an unfair comparison, because as far as I know musicals aren't really a "thing" in Japanese animation, at least as much as it is a "thing" in Western animation. Sure western musicals are probably better, because it's more of a speciality here. And epic fights are more of a speciality in Japanese culture, so there you go.

As for the alleged "divide" you claim there is between western and asian styles, I think you're right that there is a divide, but it only seems to exist in people who place any sort of importance on where a film came from. A true film buff can appreciate a classic Chinese or Japanese film as much as they can appreciate a western one. People who truly love the medium inside and out can appreciate works no matter where they're from. People who draw such a thick line between where works come from and assume some are inherently superior than others are just depriving themselves, and really looking like assholes in the process. It would be like a person saying they're a lover of all books...except Tolstoy because he's from Russia and Russia sucks. Rather hard to believe they love books so much if they can't even acknowledge Tolstoy.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
HOw about european. i like parts of European western culture, parts of japan western culture, and a small part of american culture. Frankly i would like to see a certain mix of both, so i cant really decide. i dont think they should class, both have thier strnog points, so they should help eachother instead.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Amethyst Wind said:
Izanagi009 said:
It's gonna need to be asked at some point so I'll do it now.

Vincent, have you actually ever been to Japan?
Yes actually, went 3 years ago and will be heading there again this summer

If it seems that i'm ignorant, just tell me directly

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Lilani said:
Izanagi009 said:
I don't see why I should have to choose. I love them both for different reasons. I love anime, and I love Disney and other western animations. I love the music and characters in Disney movies (obviously), as well as the artistry and care in the animation. All you're doing is comparing fight scenes. Like really, give me a Japanese animated musical as catchy and inspiring as Beauty and the Beast, or the Little Mermaid, or Aladdin, or An American Tail.

But that is an unfair comparison, because as far as I know musicals aren't really a "thing" in Japanese animation, at least as much as it is a "thing" in Western animation. Sure western musicals are probably better, because it's more of a speciality here. And epic fights are more of a speciality in Japanese culture, so there you go.

As for the alleged "divide" you claim there is between western and asian styles, I think you're right that there is a divide, but it only seems to exist in people who place any sort of importance on where a film came from. A true film buff can appreciate a classic Chinese or Japanese film as much as they can appreciate a western one. People who truly love the medium inside and out can appreciate works no matter where they're from. People who draw such a thick line between where works come from and assume some are inherently superior than others are just depriving themselves, and really looking like assholes in the process. It would be like a person saying they're a lover of all books...except Tolstoy because he's from Russia and Russia sucks. Rather hard to believe they love books so much if they can't even acknowledge Tolstoy.
Thank you for the point, Yes, work should be appreciated regardless of origin but one must admit that culture plays a role in deciding the structure and content of the work itself. People would probably like different things and have a cultural bias (as clearly demonstrated by me) but I myself can appreciate works from America, It's just that I personally like more stuff from Japan but I'm letting my bias speak ahead of me

Quicksilver_Phoenix

Apr 14, 2009
I like both to be honest. But overall, i'd favour Eastern themes even though i'm from the "west" (though technically England is central on a world map).

There's just something very beautiful about their art styles that I haven't seen in Western productions.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I like both. To be honest, where it comes from isn't a conscious factor in my enjoyment.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
I live in Europe's "capital" (Belgium). My upbringing can be defined as "European", since my parents are from two different countries. Europe is a part of the Western world and its cultural heritage has greatly influenced American society, as American culture has been influencing European culture for quite some time now. That said, I enjoy many aspects of Eastern culture too, while finding some aspects of my Western culture weird and/or disgusting (violence in media, etc). This stems mainly (for me) from an Americanization of our pop-culture. I'm not saying that's inherently bad, I'm just saying it also brings in some bad elements.

If you're going to talk about Western culture, keep in mind that America and Europe are not one entity, and that those two aren't even one monolithic entity by itself.

xshadowscreamx

Dec 21, 2011
i need both, when i have enough of western optimist action, i can delve in to 'OUTTHERE' anime.

then again it can go the other way.. there is bunch of fun anime. and anime that really make me laugh more then any other western cartoon.
then i will watch a gritty Christopher Nolan comic book adaptation movie.
JRPG'S interest me but the they can have impenetrable difficulty/learning curve to deal with. example (lost Odyssey/darksouls ). i know dark souls is an RPG but with Japanese uncompromising design
i do prefer a relaxing RPG from bethesda (for example), not always relaxing it can get difficult in parts but you don't need to grind so much or if at all, or you can avoid the situation and walk to a diff location.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Izanagi009 said:
I am much more likely to pick a Japanese style fight scene than a Western style fight. Protagonists from Western Media such as Marcus Felix and Rambo seem weak in character compared to people like Kira Yamato or Heero Yuy. I can list more Japanese games that I like than American. As for why, in order: Japanese fights seem more dynamic with a greater display of skill and power compared to the plain war time gunfights.

Dude, have you ever SEEN First Blood? Rambo is a fucking ninja, using camoflage to hide in the grass, creating deathtraps with sticks and twigs, he barely even fires a gun in that movie I think, he kills most people with knives and shit by sneaking up on them.

The sequels are pretty bad, I would ignore them.

Ya, never liked anime, it all seems so over the top it feels like it's parodying itself. Also, every female anime character looks like the same person to me, just with different hair. It weirds me out.

Spartan448

Apr 2, 2011
I like both. The East has the better storytelling, IMO, but with the exception of Metal Gear, not much action. In addition, it has hot chicks, if the number of Final Fantasy characters that have pictures of them in compromising positions on 4chan is any indication.

The West has less storytelling, with some occasional gems like... Fallout, oddly enough, which brings me to my point that Western games tend to be more action centric. And explosion centric. And currency.... Alright, if you want to play a game that exemplifies WRPG styles, play Fallout. WRPGs also have chicks in them, but as to wether or not they could be considered "hot" is up to debate.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I like both, but I do get tired of the US saving the world in movies all the time.
I just choose the parts I like. that is the benefit of the internet.