Poll: do headshots in FPSs matter?

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I was playing TF2 this Afternoon and I was killed by the sniper, the kid who killed me in one shot then apologised; I asked why he apologised and he said he bodyshoted me. Pursuing this further I said it was a legitimate tactic because it killed me. He said he wanted a headshot.

After the match had finished I remembered some Valve forum threads, and remembered that some people think that headshots are the only way to snipe. My personal opinion is that as long as you kill the guy, who cares.

What do you think Escapists, are headshots better then bodyshots?

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
My opinion is that AWP n00bs need to go back to AWPstralia. scoutz_knivez FTW!

Seriously though, AWP was stupid OP.

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
In TF2, instant-kill head-shotting is the Sniper's main perk, so if you're playing Sniper, and not getting head-shots, you're not playing Sniper right. Of course, if you manage to kill the guy with a bodyshot (i.e Scouts) then I guess it doesn't matter, but good luck trying to kill a Heavy with a body shot. Head shots are also a sign of proficiency as the Sniper, so good Sniper players always try for headshots.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
It really depends on the FPS but in most games you want to go for head shots all the way just because it kills faster. BF3 is a perfect example where you take 2.0X the damage to a headshot. While the body shots are 1.0X and leg shots are 0.9x damage. That might not sound like a lot but with some guns its the difference between 3 bullets killing and 4 bullets killing which can be huge depending on what gun youre using

I dont see anything wrong with killing someone via a bodyshot though, I do it all the time. When you open fire you do it to remove that threat from you and your team so I dont think it matters all that much how they die as long as they die. That said, generally speaking headshots are what you want to be going for on the basis that they just kill quicker and more efficiently.

PrimitiveJudge

Aug 14, 2012
It depends, Headshot shall always be instant kill. However if body shot was made then it would have to be a heart shot. That guy who sniped you lied to you, he head shotted you, their is not heart shots in TF2.

Me personally I love the detailed surgical strikes on the human anatomy. Makes it fun and realistic, which means it can happen to YOU.

EDIT: your poll does not have enough detail cause people have been known to live through both.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Depends on the game I mean in games where the head is a spec on the screen and the guy is running all over the place you can't even bother for a head shot but in games where the characters are a bit larger or slower and it is do able ya head shots are a sign of skill.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Kill's a kill. Of course, I never play sniper since that kind of play style is anti-fun (I main Pyro and Scout in TF2). The fun is in close conflict for me, so I've never had a reason to have that "gotta headshot" mentality.

Razentsu

Jun 21, 2011
Whatever kills, it's good. If you know a body shot will kill, I'd say go for that instead. Wouldn't want to take an extra risk with the head shot if a body shot is already enough.

Evil Smurf

Nov 11, 2011
FireAza said:
In TF2, instant-kill head-shotting is the Sniper's main perk, so if you're playing Sniper, and not getting head-shots, you're not playing Sniper right. Of course, if you manage to kill the guy with a bodyshot (i.e Scouts) then I guess it doesn't matter, but good luck trying to kill a Heavy with a body shot. Head shots are also a sign of proficiency as the Sniper, so good Sniper players always try for headshots.
I was the scout XD (scatter gun, bonk, atomizer. Normally I go milkman set) Although when I snipe I will either use the Huntsman, Sidney sleeper or Bazar Bargin (so if I do bodyshot it does not matter)

DustyDrB said:
Kill's a kill. Of course, I never play sniper since that kind of play style is anti-fun (I main Pyro and Scout in TF2). The fun is in close conflict for me, so I've never had a reason to have that "gotta headshot" mentality.
Then you have not had the joy of throwing jarate and following it up with a huntsman arrow

Windcaler said:
It really depends on the FPS but in most games you want to go for head shots all the way just because it kills faster. BF3 is a perfect example where you take 2.0X the damage to a headshot. While the body shots are 1.0X and leg shots are 0.9x damage. That might not sound like a lot but with some guns its the difference between 3 bullets killing and 4 bullets killing which can be huge depending on what gun youre using

I dont see anything wrong with killing someone via a bodyshot though, I do it all the time. When you open fire you do it to remove that threat from you and your team so I dont think it matters all that much how they die as long as they die. That said, generally speaking headshots are what you want to be going for on the basis that they just kill quicker and more efficiently.
Then I see the motivation

Evil Smurf

Nov 11, 2011
TizzytheTormentor said:
Does it matter? I like how he apologized like a dumbass.
it was confusing, I thought he was going to level an insult at me.

Coppernerves

Oct 17, 2011
Depends on the FPS
Aiming for the body is quicker but takes more shots to kill with, it makes sense if a guy knows he's being attacked and is already lit, so even with precision weps it can still be the smarter move.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
If heads aren't popping off, I'm doing my job wrong!

I always try for head shots, and hate missing them.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
I always aim for the body. It's bigger and it still kills them. I do that for all FPS games as well as when I play airsoft.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
In real life you don't aim for the head. You aim for the largest body mass... because chances are that bullet is going to kill them anyway, and you have a better chance of hitting it...

And because of that, I have never cared about going for the head, or anything like that... unless it advantages me to do so (stops the guy alerting for steath and stuff like that!)

I have only been caring about it since playing Borderlands, and only in Borderlands, for those sweet, sweel criticals! :p

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
I was playing TF2 this Afternoon and I was killed by the sniper, the kid who killed me in one shot then apologised; I asked why he apologised and he said he bodyshoted me. Pursuing this further I said it was a legitimate tactic because it killed me. He said he wanted a headshot.

After the match had finished I remembered some Valve forum threads, and remembered that some people think that headshots are the only way to snipe. My personal opinion is that as long as you kill the guy, who cares.

What do you think Escapists, are headshots better then bodyshots?
In The WarZ (Released on the 15th can't wait!) Body shots will only slow zombies down or temporarily put them down. Headshots will matter in that game ALOT!

So it depends on the game, if it were say COD I wouldn't care.