Poll: do headshots in FPSs matter?

gnihton

Mar 18, 2012
sethisjimmy said:
When people cry about body shots, that's my cue to switch to the pissrifle and aim exclusively for them.

Seriously though, aiming for the head is usually pretty inefficient. Why the kinds of people who care so heavily about headshots exist in a game like TF2 is beyond me, but that's life I guess. I mean if that's your strategy that's cool, nothing against headshots themselves but I'm not going to apologize for killing someone "wrong".
Because if you try and go for mainly headshots, then you get better at them and become a better sniper, becoming able to quickly drop enemies significantly faster that someone that doesn't and can't headshot, thereby contributing more to your team and making you feel happier with your performance?

Sorry, I forgot, this is the blindly hate anybody better than yourself forum, not the type in which you think logically and don't let your own lack of experience cloud your judgement.

Snipers that headshot are better, and do more for the team. Nevermind that accuracy is a skill that can transfer between FPSs fairly well, you just try playing Counter Strike if you're the type that doesn't headshot.

People seriously trying to imply that bodyshotting is somehow 'better' or 'more skilful' are being incredibly disingenuous and are only fooling themselves. It annoys me so much how it's the general attitude on this forum that 'X can do something better than me/that I can't, therefore doing such a thing is clearly stupid/wrong/unoptimal/other half-hearted rationalization'.

I'm trying to get into LoL, I'm pretty crap right now, but I acknowledge that I am, acknowledge that people are better than me, and know to try and improve and what to try and improve, because I don't delude myself that somehow these players that are clearly better than me are somehow worse than me. Quit defending your crappiness and just improve.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
In a sense, they do matter. Headshots often offer more damage than bodyshots so it's important to get them so you have more ammo left over for the next guy you kill.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
sethisjimmy said:
When people cry about body shots, that's my cue to switch to the pissrifle and aim exclusively for them.

Seriously though, aiming for the head is usually pretty inefficient. Why the kinds of people who care so heavily about headshots exist in a game like TF2 is beyond me, but that's life I guess. I mean if that's your strategy that's cool, nothing against headshots themselves but I'm not going to apologize for killing someone "wrong".
Because a head shot with a sniper in TF2 is a guaranteed crit for most weapons, and at full charge can kill all classes (except for an over-healed heavy). Going for and getting head shots makes you a far more effective sniper than someone who only aims for body shots.

Pfheonix

Apr 3, 2010
The way I see it, headshots are preferable, but not common, for one reason: when you are stalking someone, you have time to plan out your shot, so you fire, and if you hit them in the head, they die. But if you miss, or hit the body and don't kill, they have time to turn around and shoot you. Once that happens, you immediately blank on shot placement and begin to think "If I shoot enough, he'll die." Not every time, but more often in authentic shooters compared to TF2 or CS. So head shots are preferable, and I generally go for them, but I will occasionally go for the body if I'm at long ranges.

Timberwolf0924

Sep 16, 2009
I think every game should make the headshot an instant death shot, from bosses, to minions. They can get around this by adding shields, or full helmets.

I think Silent Scope did this best, if you shoot the main bosses in the head I think once they die instantly, and you get a neet little video with the bullet hitting them

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
No but headshots should be tried because they do so much more damage and are usually instant kill.

With Snipers in TF2 you should really only be bodyshotting scouts and medics. Scouts because they're too fast to headshot most of the time and medics because they need to be killed asap.

Every other class is slow enough to get headshots like say Heavy. If you can't headshot slow heavies you're playing the sniper wrong.

KiloFox

Aug 16, 2011
headshot is king.

it's the instant-kill the spot that does the most damage, and the center-target for competent snipers. this is why Jun pissed me off in Reach. he never aimed for the head, and would occasionally blurt out "Center mass" like it was some kind of achievement. while i was getting headshots left and right. through years of playing FPS games i've learned to naturally aim for the head (or in some cases, neck so that sequential shots hit the head) so even on a split-second reaction i hit around head-area. and when you're a sniper, headshots are expected of you.

also apparently my 2 most hit places are the head and the crotch (with all weapons)

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
You always TRY for headshots in TF2, but if you get the kill on the body shot...then so be it.

I've bodyshot countless opposing snipers in the legs as they SLLLOOOOWWWLY inch around a corner trying to hide from me and I don't feel at all bad about it.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Techno Squidgy said:
at full charge can kill all classes (except for an over-healed heavy).
What? Fully charged headshots do 450 damage, which is what an overhealed heavy has as health. They kill every class.

And that's why you head shot. Body shots make your bullets worth less per shot.

The Hitman's Heatmaker is the best sniper rifle and it does less body shot damage. I like it because I don't try for weak ass body shots, so that doesn't affect me.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Yes headshots are great in either PC or console shooters, FPS games are all about shooting targets so its good that theres a bullseye which rewards skilled play.

Blowing the heads and other bodyparts off robots is a big reason why I enjoyed Binary Domain compared to Gears of War 2 which didn't

vun

Burrowed Lurker
Apr 10, 2008
The sniper mini-game in TF2 is the only place where headshots really matter, CoD series as well if you're the sort of person who likes to bling up your guns with camo.

Of course headshots are always nice in games where they do more damage, but the headshot-or-not attitude your sniper nemesis is showing is just plain silly. Yes, getting a headshot is often more rewarding and due to the damage you should do your best to get headshots, but every time I see a sniper in TF2 whining about bodyshots I feel the urge to switch to sniper and bodyshot him for the rest of the game.

Still, pulling off a nice deagle headshot in and CS game does feel nice.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I could never bring myself to play TF2 for more than a few hours because of how bad it was, so not sure on that game. I know in a lot of games, head shots are critical hits that do a ton more damage. Right now, playing through Borderlands 2, if I headshot a bandit, they are dead in one hit. Body shots take maybe 3 to kill them.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
In Battlefield 3 and TF2 I use the M98b and the Machina respectively, the strongest snipers in both I think, so it only takes one or two shots to kill someone.
I prefer to have my enemy die as quick as possible, also like getting extra points, so I will go for Headshots. I really love it in Battlefield 3 when I shoot a guy in the head from across the map and I just watch the bullet drop on their head. It is really satisfying.
Really I don't think less of anyone for bodyshots or what ever. What matters for me is the enemy on the other end of the scope goes down.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Helps alot in Borderlands, specially when you wan't/need to conserve ammo (a good sniper gives a 1 hit KO).

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
TF2 is a strange game in that matter. People will outright ignore shots that would be a kill if it isnt on the head. And if they accidently body shot you it is pretty much the equalivalent of them running over your dog with how bad they feel about it.

GildaTheGriffin

Jul 4, 2012
I play MoH Warfighter Beta, and sometimes it's good to just shoot someone where ever you please rather than try to aim up a shot because you die in 2 seconds anyway if people are observant enough to know all the little places you hide. At least the game made it worth while of not playing the sniper and choosing better characters like Demolition or Assault. G3 with a scope as Assault makes a good combo for range and accuracy, only if it's magazine was a bit bigger though.