Poll: Do soundtracks matter to you in a game?

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Im just going to go ahead and say this.
halo.
Soundtrack is one of the best parts of them.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Definitely. The music is probably the thing that I remember for the longest period of time about any given game.

Take, for a wider example, the theme of Super Mario Bros. Millions of people recognize that theme and it was released over 20 years ago.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
The soundtrack is what sets the mood for the entire game. In Halo: ODST, for example, the music made me feel 20% more badass.

wizard_joe88

Nov 12, 2010
Yes, soundtracks are important to me, I'm fine if the game does a sort of "meh" soundtrack, but having a bad one can sometimes mess me up when I'm playing the game.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I am a musician who has loved film, television and game soundtracks from a very young age. I used to bang out the themes from Mega Man and Castlevania on the piano by ear. So yes, I think they matter.

That said, sometimes there are parts of a game where silence would actually work better. Most horror games would actually be scarier if they stopped telegraphing their scare shots with musical cues.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yes they do. While it doesn't prevent me for buying a game but I wouldn't enjoy or like that game alot if the soundtrack isn't that great (e.g. Dragonquest 9 had a limited soundtracks).

Greenhand

Jan 19, 2011
TestECull said:
I play my own stuff most of the time. The default soundtrack doesn't matter, EVERY game I play has a good soundtrack.

One notable exception: GTA San Andreas. <3 K-DST, <3 Radio X.
K-DST was dope, yo.
OT: Yes. Eternal Ring (PS2) was not exactly a great game, but it had some of the most well done and atmospheric music that I've ever heard in a game.

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
For me good music is one of the reasons to buy a game - sometimes I listen to other music or watch a movie when I do some grinding in a JRPG or other games, but generally good music is a must to get the full experience out of a game

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
If a game has a bad soundtrack I get pissed. I use to never care for music, but now thats one of the things I look for in a game. One of the reasons I'm pumped to get a 3ds for OoT is so I can listen to the music again.

Sep 14, 2009
it honestly depends, there are some games where i get ridiculous amount of awesome chills down my back during certain parts (mass effect my most recent example) but then there are some where it constantly annoys me because i hate the music with a passion (fallout 3, i absolutely have to use my own music otherwise the game pisses me off to no end)

so yes it does matter, in different ways though depending on how you look at it

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Yes! The only reason I got an mp3 player was my dissatisfaction with real life not having background music. (Although if it did, I would imagine it would sound like Azumanga Daioh's OST).

I remember one time I was playing God of War 2 at the long path with a bunch of enemies right before you see Clotho and Never Enough by Five Finger Death Punch came up on the radio. I didn't even notice my carpal tunnel until the song ended.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
If I'm perfectly willing to play through a good game with a horrendous story than it would be rather hypocritical of me to discard something that could be just as easily resolved by reaching for the mute button (or by playing my own music when on the 360). That said I do rather enjoy a game with a good soundtrack, it can be excellent in enhancing the ambience or just provide a jaunty tune while you eviscerate a super mutant.

wilson_ty

Mar 29, 2011
The Half-Life series' OST is my absolute favorite in a game. Then there's my favorite anime OST, but no favorite movie OST.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Wow I can't believe only two other people mute the in-game music tracks.

When ever I play a game I'll usually mute the music so I can listen to my own.

I do play a lot of Japanese games with the 30 second audio loops that repeat ad nauseum so it's no big loss. And in western games the score hardly ever fits the mood of what the game is about, and in a lot of cases it's played so god damn loud that I can't hear any dialog over it.

So I usually just play my own stuff. (Which the game developers didn't have control of that means there's a good reason that it doesn't fit with the tone of the game.)

ziggy161

Aug 29, 2008
Console games, yeah. Which is a large part of the reason Shadow of the Collossus is one of my favourite games. But for MMOs, it doesnt matter to me

Tyzamar

Apr 13, 2010
Yeah the guy above me...OoT pretty much nailed it. And who wasn't super pumped up when you got to this part in HL2? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VHUhxfgJqQ