Poll: Do soundtracks matter to you in a game?

SilkySkyKitten

Oct 20, 2009
Oh hell yes, soundtracks do matter to me.

Granted, I don't need a good soundtrack to enjoy a game by any means. However, when a game has an excellent soundtrack, it just adds exponentially to how much I end up enjoying that game.

R4ptur3

Feb 21, 2010
Yeah they mean a lot. To me they are a lot like movie soundtracks, things that ephasise a certain point or event. Most soundtrack music kicks ass as well.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
When it's good, music improves the game.
When it's bad, you can just switch the music off. Maybe listen to your own collection.

Skuffyshootster

Jan 13, 2009
The only soundtrack that really pulled me in was the one from Hitman: Blood Money. It's a real shame Jesper Kyd isn't coming back for Absolution.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Absolutely. Would Bioshock be the same if it didn't have that amazing opening sound when you enter Rapture? I don't think so. There are many other examples but I got stuff to do.

RachaelIsaacHill

Jun 27, 2011
I'm a huge fan of soundtracks. Half my music library is soundtracks from movies and/or video games. So if a video game has a good soundtrack, it gains so many points in my book. My personal favorites are the Elder Scrolls series, Halo, and World of Warcraft (WotLK in particular). However bad soundtracks, when they do show up, are terrible. Not enough to make me stop playing the game, I usually end up just muting the music and listening to the HttYD OST or something.

Silent Anima

Jun 2, 2011
I feel the right soundtrack can make a game better. I've always loved the FF and KH soundtracks! The Japanese can make really good music for their videogames.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
Absolutely. I can't really imagine any game that wouldn't go well with a good, fitting soundtrack. Maybe horror games or something where ambient sounds are more important.

Cerrax

Feb 15, 2009
I find way too many games have sub-par soundtracks. I find myself more and more often just turning the music off. Most games either go the generic film score bullshit route or generic shitty metal route, or the crazy japanese techno route. If a game has an interesting soundtrack, it gives the game more appeal, but 90% of games right now are one of the three I've listed.

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
Definetly, a soundtrack can make or break a game, even 8-bit games had them!
And some games have kickass soundtracks that really pump you up to play the game, e.g. Half-life series, it has great music and its only for the big moments so you have something to keep you company while your bombarded or something. I mean, when you launch the rocket in hl1 or fight off the antlions with vortigaunt friends, if they didnt have the great music they had, would people have rememebered it as well?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpNXztu9ndM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcFdB1lTIRA

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Mr Shrike said:
Of course a sound track matters - 90% of the time I'm gaming (except for WoW) I'm listening to it.

Plus, amazing stuff gets created in the name of games.

Considering I don't play WoW, I am always listening to it.

And to add to the Red Alert Awesomeness:

And another good one:

There was also a battle against a fire-crow in Genji, but I literally cannot find that music, best orchestral game music I have ever heard, and it is NOT THERE!

Krinku

Feb 5, 2011
Absolutely! So say you have a game with good story + gameplay = good game right? Music is that thing that can make a good game and turn it into a great game. Another good use of the immersion factor of music would be Silent Hill(Akira Yamaoka has it down to a tee for just the right ambient feel)

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Eh sort of. Depends on the game. A lot of games, I end up turning the music off in, particularly in games where the music is actual songs as opposed to instrumental pieces composed (hopefully) to enhance atmosphere and immersion. For example, I generally leave the radio off in Fallout 3/NV and definitely turn it off in any Need For Speed Game but leave the music on in Mass Effect, Painkiller, Doom, and the original Diablo.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Of course they do!

The forest maze wouldn't be half as awesome without that playing in the background.

LittleBlondeGoth

Mar 24, 2011
Absolutely it matters. Just with film and TV, background music and sound plays a huge part in your appreciation of a game.

Ther are exceptions, of course. Something like Pacman doesn't really lend itself to an epic, sparing soundtrack (though try playing it with the Benny Hill theme going, it's a hoot). I'm not talking about this sort of game, I'm on about the Final Fantasies, Uncharteds or God of Wars of the world.

Music helps create atmosphere, and for me at least, it's also something of an emotional tie. I can't make it through FFVI's opera aria without sobbing for example, and it's entirely because of the music.

I think in a lot of cases, for film, TV and games, you almost don't notice the music, as it does its' job in a very subtle way. But if you were to see / play it again without any music, it wouldn't be anywhere near as good. I mean, imagine Star Wars without John Williams' soundtrack. You can't, can you?

If memory serves, Buffy did this once, when her mother died. No ambient music for the entire episode, just what people said and any noise their environment made, like closing a door. It was designed to be weird and chilling and it sure as hell worked.