Poll: Do we nice guys still stand a chance?

Nerdygamer89

Dec 21, 2009
In my experience the vast majority of women like nice guys once they get out of that high school rebellious phase. However, there is an important distinction to make between "nice guy" and "guy who is nice in a misguided attempt to get laid." Women do not like the latter and they'll see right through you if you try to be their best friend as a means of getting into their pants.

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
Well here is the thing - nice guys have never had problems getting girls.
However, guys who lack confidence and come across as a bit wet do struggle to get girls for those reasons.

Rafael Dera

Aug 24, 2010
I've decided I have enough on my mind without the whole relationship tomfoolery. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, fine. One thing less to worry about; have yourself a cookie.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
RaikuFA said:
deserteagleeye said:
Be yourself Be yourself Be yourself Be yourself Be yourself Be yourself Be yourself! It wouldn't be so cliche if it didn't work! Seriously, the second you start acting like someone you're not, you lose your compatibility with her. Fish in the sea, not darkest before dawn, if not meant to be, it's not meant to beblahblahblahblahblahblahblah. Now you are ready!
thats not true, i was myself and it didnt work
BULLCRAP! She's just not good enough for you! youhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v694/Antfro/Funny%20stuff/YoureAwsome.gif

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
RaikuFA said:
its not the guys fault, its the women. they only care about looks
Oh, come on now. Sometimes it's about the money too.

It has been my experience that the 'nice guy' is synonymous with coward. I am not psychic, if you don't act interested in me in a way that I can perceive, I'm not going to know you like me like that. You have to tell us when you're interested, and just spending time and hanging out as 'friends' is going to force me to lunch rush you into the friend zone...where I put all my other helicopter friends. You know what, be a little daring; get to know me while we're dating rather than hover around and look disappointed every time I spend time with my new boyfriend, because guess what? He told me he was interested in me.

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
How do you even notice this going on? Why do you so called "nice guys" even hang around with people who you see as "jerks" or girls who you see as "liking jerks?"

Hang out with cool people, like meets like, and if you ever start describing yourself as a "nice guy" you're probably not nice, just passive. You don't stand up to those bullies do you? You just think about joining them and then ask the internet if you should because you aren't good at making decisions or actively bettering yourself. Why is the internet inundated with these blockheads?

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Like people have said, if you are nice and confident and you actually express to a girl that you like her, then yes girls like nice guys.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Salad Is Murder said:
RaikuFA said:
its not the guys fault, its the women. they only care about looks
Oh, come on now. Sometimes it's about the money too.

It has been my experience that the 'nice guy' is synonymous with coward. I am not psychic, if you don't act interested in me in a way that I can perceive, I'm not going to know you like me like that. You have to tell us when you're interested, and just spending time and hanging out as 'friends' is going to force me to lunch rush you into the friend zone...where I put all my other helicopter friends. You know what, be a little daring; get to know me while we're dating rather than hover around and look disappointed every time I spend time with my new boyfriend, because guess what? He told me he was interested in me.
dont make sense

go too fast. im a creep

go too slow. im just a friend

stormtrooper9091

Jun 2, 2010
you need a shitload of luck. It's not about skill, confidence, sense of humour or any of that crap, you just need some luck for dat one home run

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
It's like gardening in FFXI, there are so many variables and unseen quantities that the process-result seems random at best.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I'll get back to you when I find a nice guy who doesn't brozone me. I seem to be a big complete and utter jerk beacon tho. How I love my life >_>

As for nice guys being popular just look at Alastair...he's like the fangirl favourite.

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
Mr S said:
This question is for all the ladies (especially the Dutch ones):
Are girls still interested in nice guys or is there really no more hope for us?

It has recently (past 17 years) come to my attention that a lot of men act like jerks in front of women, and the women seem to be enjoying it. Which leads me to think that women nowadays are attracted to complete douches.

(Un)fortunately, I don't belong to that specific group, and I consider myself to be a nice and confident guy.
In fact, my last date said it wasn't gonna work out because I was too nice.
Now I've tried to be a jerk, but I don't like myself anymore when I do that.
And neither do other people, so it would seem I am doing something terribly wrong.

Is there still any chance for us? We are just regular guys, except for that we aren't complete douches.

Also I've noticed that especially city girls are attracted to jerks, please comment on that too :)

Ok, I've read the replies and I'd like to delve deeper in the "some do like nice guys, some like jerks" thing. Now I believe that. Problem is I can't seem to find the ones that like nice guys. I just run into jerk-loving girls OR girls that already are in relations with other nice guys.
"Nice guys don't finish last, they run a different race." Or so my friend says. I'll think about it when I'm no longer apathetic to the concept of a relationship.

Zeetchmen

Aug 17, 2009
Women at those young years want assholes, later in life when they settle down you will probs get someone if you still want to deal with women

FightThePower

The Voice of Treason
Dec 17, 2008
To be honest, being 'nice' isn't enough. You need to be confident, funny, exciting as well - quite often girls will pick up on confidence far quicker than picking up on whether the guy is a dickhead or not. Problem a lot of 'nice guys' have is they sit there wondering why girls don't want to be with them since they're so 'nice' but they forget that they're insecure, meek and uninteresting. No one wants to date that guy. Not suggesting that anyone here is like that, but I used to be once, and I see it pretty often.

Bear in mind though that all girls like different things, I have a friend who seems to have a thing for sweet, skinny, sensitive guys who play videogames. Rather irritatingly, I fit all of those criteria whilst also not being a total doormat yet she still reckons we would 'never work out'. But that's a story for another day.

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
It's not about being a jerk, it's about not being a wimp. You have to be confident in yourself and your ability to get what you want. Start judging women instead of waiting for them to judge you. We're always waiting for women to approve of us; they have us competing for them. As soon as we stop acting like a beautiful women are somehow a rare and precious commodity and start engaging them on their level (that of a person confident in their own appeal and value), we can start having women who want our attention and approval.

This isn't easy, and my advice is as much to remind myself as it is to help others, but I know it works. I had a summer where I managed to have just enough swagger and self-confidence to make things happen with women in remarkable ways, ways that I thought were beyond me before. I'm looking to re-capture that, but I know the answer isn't to be the "nice guy" or the "jerk."