Poll: Do women find it easier to get into relationships than men?

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
Ahri said:
BiscuitTrouser said:
Considering every relationship is (on average) on man and one woman id say the number of non single men and women are exactly the same.
I presume this statistic deliberately overlooks gay relationships?

When you take those into account, it tips the balance a little.
Unless there are more gays than lesbians, it shouldn't matter that much. Though I haven't seen any statistics on the ratio between Gays and Lesbians.

Captcha: "Which Chevy vehicle is all-new?" Oh just fuck off. Though I'll have to admit, that's possibly the most effective advertising strategy I've seen.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
Men are, through stereotype, encouraged to be sexually and romantically desperate, unless they are "popular" or "ridiculously attractive". Or have lots and lots of money. This makes it much easier for women to get into a relationship than men.
Kendarik said:
Relish in Chaos said:
Yeah, and before people say that same-sex relationships are in the minority, they're wrong. There are more non-heterosexuals than people think, but they're hiding among us. Not to mention the fact that sexuality is a fluid and varying scale that is by no means as black-and-white as those conservative douchenozzles like to think.
I'd like to see any statistical source backing up your claim that there are more same sex relationships than hetro ones.
He's not saying that. He's saying that there are more people who are not absolutely heterosexual than is perceived. Many gay people hide their orientation by marrying the opposite sex and many bisexuals marry the opposite sex as it is easier/safer than the same sex. additionally, people can have sexual/romantic feelings for the same sex while still being primarily heterosexual (though they could just be exaggerating their feelings for women). Statistical data is also damaged by homophobia and reluctance to adopt a homosexual identity. This makes it difficult to identify the exact amount of homosexual people in a community.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
T3hSource said:
I came to the revelation recently that men don't pick women,it's the women who pick men,they just give the illusion that the male is choosing because they're manipulative bitches like that /jk
I do believe it's easier for women to get into relationships,hell it's both a psychological and biological necessity for them.
First off, I am very inclined to presume that this "Revelation" came from your own, and inevitably biased, personal experience, yes? Basing your level of universal matters on what you see in your own experience won't give you an accurate understanding.

And to the second part, no. Just no. For fuck's sake, we're not a "them," we're human beings, just like men. We all think and feel and have individual needs just as unique as men do. We aren't these bizarre, man-like creatures that conspire with each other to function on some kind of moon logic frequencies that only females of the species are able to pick up on.

Really, though, when it comes to heterosexual relationships, as has been said before, its pretty much going to be an equal ratio of who can get into what. Part of the issue, OP, is that your understanding of "woman" is, for one reason or another, primarily people in relationships. Your ideas of "Man" involve a whole lot of your own personal experience, and from what I've seen in some other posts, you don't feel like you've had the best of luck in the relationship department. Its prolly just coloring your perception of things. Grass is greener, you know?

Don't give up OP, and don't go thinking that you're somehow inheriently disadvantaged on the dating scene. Dating is about finding someone to be a partner with, so really, who cares about whether or not women seem have an easier time dating to you? All you need to worry about is who you could be happy with, and of course, be satisfied with yourself as a single person first and foremost.

fleurdust

Jul 14, 2011
It's hard to compare because I haven't been a man :p Although, I was in a long relationship, after that broke up every single time I would go out, it seemed I got people hitting on me. I wasn't particularly interested at first, maybe it's just that being single I gave other people who weren't my friends already more attention that I usually would. Within a pretty short space of time I had several men either wanting a relationship with me or just wanting to sleep with me. According to some men I know, they don't find that happening to them at all. But to some, it does, easily. Even if they're not that attractive (imo obviously, maybe I just don't like those people :/)

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
I'd say no. The harsh short answer is that "attractive" people (those who conform to certain standards of appearance and fitness within a certain culture) find it easier to get into relationships. Most people who are considered unattractive pine after those who are considered attractive, while most people who are considered attractive have several relationships per year.

...for the record, I've been on both sides of the fence on this one. I've seen the difference hours of daily grooming and being very fit can have... but both things were part of my job once.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Well, if we were to assume that men are more likely to be the instigators of a romantic relationship (they ask the lady out, rather than the other way around), then the pre-requisites for having a relationship would be skewed towards a largely specific male group (those with both the charm and confidence to ask a girl out successfully), whereas women would only need to be desirable enough to be asked, not actually requiring the personal qualities necessary of males.

So it would mean that a wider population of women are likely to be in a relationship than men. So while a female and a male, in general, would have the same probability of being in a relationship (1-to-1 relationship status), the probability spread across each population would be different.

Apr 5, 2008
Relationships, no. Sex, yes. That is to say, if a woman wanted commitment-free sex she'd have little to no trouble finding it. Relationships however are no different between sexes.

It almost always comes down to around the 3 month point. It's the turning point between a new, exciting relationship (that may or may not have been established on lust) and a committed, long-term relationship. Women have just as many problems as men at this point where both halves of a couple realise it's serious.

Relish in Chaos said:
Yeah, and before people say that same-sex relationships are in the minority, they're wrong. There are more non-heterosexuals than people think, but they're hiding among us. Not to mention the fact that sexuality is a fluid and varying scale that is by no means as black-and-white as those conservative douchenozzles like to think.
Your first point is wrong. The number of same-sex relationships would barely register compared to the number heterosexual relationships. It's a fraction of a percent, or low single digit at best. You're second point is likely true, but irrelevant to this particular topic.

DazBurger

May 22, 2009
DoPo said:
Except that there are, on average, more women than men,
I would like to know your sources on this, because every figure I can find say, that there are 105-107 boys born, for every 100 girls.

illas

RAWR!!!
Apr 4, 2010
The following contains huge (and perhaps offensive) generalisations and is a result of my experience thus far:

At high-school age: Yes, because (primarily) the girls want relationships and the boys want sex and will commit to a relationship for a chance of it.
At university age: No it's harder for women, because men can get casual sex easily and thus have minimal desire for relationships. Ergo, getting a man to commit is much harder.
At post-university age: No. Both have it equally hard, since both genders have a) Standards, and b) a good idea of what they want from a partner/relationship.

NB: Throughout all of the above brackets, it's important to remember that regardless of whether it is easy or hard to get into a relationship: getting into a good relationship is a completely different matter.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
Hot women tend to be in the next relationship as soon as the last one ends simply because of demand for her is high.

An ugly chick, she could probably offer everything a man could want and still have trouble finding anyone to say yes.

I'm sure it's somewhat the same for men, they merely need to initiate and thus, are less likely to have the next one lined up. There aren't any friend-zone women waiting around for a guy to get lonely, y'know?

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
DazBurger said:
DoPo said:
I would like to know your sources on this, because every figure I can find say, that there are 105-107 boys born, for every 100 girls.
Hmm, good question. Now that I think about it, it is something I've been hearing a lot over the years. I don't have actual reliable sources. I did check and it indeed seem that boys are born more often than girls. However, their death rate is a bit higher than girls'. I don't really know if that is enough to swing the scales the other way. Also, there is the lower life expectancy for males (this one I'm sure of) so it may be a combination of those factors, or alternatively - pure bollocks.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I don't know. I mean, the boyfriend has had several girlfriends, and the only boyfriend I've had is him (which I still don't know how I managed that). But, then again my view of this could be skewered because of the Asperger's, so who knows? Without it I could have been a lady stud.

They're called sluts, Soren.

Shut up brain!

maddness666

Apr 14, 2011
DazBurger said:
DoPo said:
Men die more. Or rather they tend not to live as long.

The 'extra' women however are mostly elderly and likely not actively looking for relationship.

The number of people in relationships is probably split 1:1 or so close to 1:1 that you'd be called pedantic for calling it anything else. But women that want a relationship can generally find one faster than men who want one (Based on observations of my friends and their relationships).

EDIT: After a quick check of wikipedia it seems the global sex ratio is 101:100 in favour of the danglers. However I distinctly recall there being more women than men in my geography text books. I assume that men only die more in the developed world.

PS: It occured to me that china's one child rule, the fact that chinese parents prefer male children and china's massive population may be enough to tilt the tables to menfolk being more populous.

Loner Jo Jo

Jul 22, 2011
Honestly, I can't tell you how many of my female friends are single and bitching about it. I think it is just as difficult for a woman to find a relationship as it is for a man with a relationship being something long term or not a one night stand sort of deal.

That being said, I will agree with most other people here that it is a lot easier for a woman to find a sex partner than a man. Women have been trained their whole lives to be careful about these sorts of arrangements and there are fewer women who want to enter into that sort of relationship than men, so she has her pick of the litter. Hell, I'm certainly not a "hot" woman and I found someone who was willing to fool around with me no strings attached.

DazBurger said:
DoPo said:
True, but boys are more likely to die in infancy than girls and men also don't live as long as women. When it comes to the entire population as a whole, old and young, there are slightly more women than men.

May 17, 2010
Women find it easier to have casual sex/ men tend to be more interested and willing to have casual sex meaning there is a supply demand issue.

In terms of relationships, meh. Quite often there is a that cliched concept of men having commitment phobia which can be true in some cases. Anecdotal I find girls are more interested in the long term compared to boys. So I think there is a rough parity at work, girls can attempt to have a relationship easier but, it's harder to make it genuine.

MasochisticAvenger

Nov 7, 2011
It's generally about the same. It just looks like women have it easier because they aren't under so much pressure to do the asking. Yes, I know it's becoming more the norm for women to do the asking as well as men, but there are still a lot of people who believe it to be wrong for a woman to chase a man.

lettucethesallad

Nov 18, 2009
Well personally I don't. I don't fall in love very often, and I'm just awkward about these kinds of things. I don't really feel like I need a relationship.

stonethered

Mar 3, 2009
Odbarc said:
Hot women tend to be in the next relationship as soon as the last one ends simply because of demand for her is high.

An ugly chick, she could probably offer everything a man could want and still have trouble finding anyone to say yes.

I'm sure it's somewhat the same for men, they merely need to initiate and thus, are less likely to have the next one lined up. There aren't any friend-zone women waiting around for a guy to get lonely, y'know?
Hate to break it to you, but yes, there are plenty of Friend-zone women out there.

I know a guy who had an entire gaggle of girls following him through high school.
After they all graduated, one of them actually kept talking to him, tried to get closer to him even while he was dating other girls. Eventually he caught on and rejected her rather soundly; possibly due to the fact that she was trying to move across the country to be closer to him.

And it doesn't end there. I know another girl who continues to insist on hanging out with a guy she works with. The guy is known to be interested in someone else, but she insists that she's content to 'just stay friends' while also bemoaning the fact that he's not interested in her.

I wouldn't classify either of them as being less than a 6/10, on a bad day. Both have/had numerous friend-zone guys of their own. Could they get into a relationship if they wanted to? Yes, easily. Could they get the relationship they want?
I think that's the real question here. Which Gender finds it easier to get the relationship they want?