Poll: Do You Agree With "Yahtzee's" Reviews?

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
I'm taking "Don't take him seriously".

I agree with the points he makes on a lot of the games I've played that he's done. But I really like Bioshock, Oblivion, Sims 3...

But I do agree that if you didn't buy Psychonauts, you should be injured.

Maddenfreak

Jul 15, 2008
i mostly watch it for the laughs, besides, by now you'd think he's almost expected to call the game bad, or rip on it for 3 minutes only to say its good at the end(excluding portal)

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Rarely, but they're not really reviews, just comical observations.

They make me chuckle though, whether I agree or not.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
They're more criticisms, not reviews honest.

A critic's job is basically taking things apart brutally and he succeeds, but honestly I don't rely on him on whether or not to buy a game.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Maddenfreak said:
i mostly watch it for the laughs, besides, by now you'd think he's almost expected to call the game bad, or rip on it for 3 minutes only to say its good at the end(excluding portal)
He pretty much said that at the start of his Bioshock review. "Nobody likes it when I'm being nice to a game."

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
He does reviews nowadays? Damn, there was me happily regarding him as an amusingly caustic comedian, like a Midlands version of Charlie Brooker.

trueluigi7

Nov 22, 2009
A lot of the time when he brings up a problem in a game that I didn't notice before I usually see it now, but I either already liked the game so I am not bothered by the problem or I didn't like the game for pretty much the reasons he states. I can't see myself be that hard on games like he is.

chainer1216

Dec 12, 2009
much like i go to the daily show for the news, i go to yahtzee for game reviews.

both offer a good laugh while bringing up valid points.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
I agree with pretty much everything he says about games. He does go over the top (since it's entertainment first) and doesn't really cover the positives, but his negatives for a game usually ring true.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
I don't watch them as reviews, I watch them to laugh at an angry man rip the shit out of games. I go elsewhere for actual reviews.
Aaand there we have it. When I see people respond to his show with "I was thinking about trying this, but you've saved me the bother of thinking for myself!" I consider creating a machine so I can put my hand through the internet and slap them.

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
I don't realy watch them as a reliable review, because he's a guy who can nag on about something stupid like the walkingspeed or something like a small story inconsistency, but when it gets right down to it, he's right about 75% of the times.

They are usualy small and petty complaints, but they're there. Example: GTA4, great game, but dragging your cousin along is very annoying.

Great laughs, but for reviews I like to see if Escapist has done a real review... Preferably Susan Arendt, since she adds some humor in a serious review, where the guys of the gang are more serious in tone.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
s69-5 said:
How about a "I don't take him seriously" option.

His so-called reviews have valid points, but are meant for entertainment purposes. He's hardly the critic you would go to for any real advice about a game. He's an entertaining professional troll. Good for a laugh, but that's about it.
I wasd wondering about that option too...

He does bring up valid points, and I often agree with them but I never let any "review" of his or anyone elses sway me into thinking something I like is rubbish. As long as I have fun, I don't care what anyone else says about a game I like.

Mar451

Nov 25, 2009
Why are people complaining about him pointing out flaws in games. *turns on loudspeaker* HE IS A GAME CRITIC *turns loudspeaker off* if he didnt point bad things in video games he'd probably be employed by Ign and have a bullshit reviewing program called Pay, Rent, or Pass.

An i agree with him on high profile releases, i mostly disagree with him on jrpg, and then its only a fair few.

Are.Oh.Why

Apr 30, 2008
Pointing out the bad can only be disliked by fanboys, admit the fallacies of a game and move one. Sometimes Yahtzee can be a bit ranty but if you just want praises sang with harps and chimes about your favorite game or one you really like then play it and decide for yourself. That is all

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
The only thing I disagree with him on is his opinion on multiplayer, but since he gets shit for bandwidth in Australia I can sympathize with it.