Poll: Do You Agree With "Yahtzee's" Reviews?

Jakiller2

Aug 19, 2009
His reviews contain pretty good and convincing points but the problem with his points is that they're two sided, like how he sees the original cast in the Ghostbusters game as a bad thing, yet others may say it as a good aspect.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Only about a quarter of the time but I still thoroughly enjoy the reviews even if he's hating on a game I love.

almostgold

Dec 1, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
I don't watch them as reviews, I watch them to laugh at an angry man rip the shit out of games. I go elsewhere for actual reviews.
This. Indeed, I find it hard to get behind the few actual points he makes. ('Thief' being the only game that does stealth right, sequels = bad, the dislike of RTS's, etc)

_Serendipity_

Jun 15, 2008
Somewhat off-topic - "Yahtzee's" reviews?

What's with the bunny-ears?

More on topic, I agree with ZP more or less 100% of the time. That isn't to say, of course, that I view his words as divine writ, but he is almost never wrong. He concentrates on the negative for the sheer entertainment value, but what he actually says is generally true.

Even his extremely negative review of my favourite game of all time, EVE online, was entirely true. I love it, but the stuff he says is bad is unarguably bad.

daemon37

Oct 14, 2009
I think he makes a lot of good points, even when he's flaming a game I like. But there is one thing I disagree with him about.

Silent Hill 3 is better than Silent Hill 2

Though they are both perfectly good games, I just think Heather is a far better protagonist than Jaaaaaaaaaaaames.

Baby Eater

Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Aug 27, 2009
I see them more as loose reviews. If Yahtzee says it's bad all it means is I might want to read more about the game first. The only time I thought he was wrong was the Borderlands review

Jzolr0708

Apr 6, 2009
I take them with a pinch of salt.

If he says a game is really good, I will buy it if it is my sort of thing, because if he can't honestly fill a review with hatred like he normally does, then it can't be bad.

But, in general, I don't agree with about half of his opinions.

I thought BioShock was probably the greatest thing since Prince of Persia, where as I thought that Arkum Asylum was well.... mediocre. Oh, and I dislike both MW2 and MW1 to an extensive degree, so I'm not on the same team as him there.

Reneux

Jul 13, 2009
I think the review thing is just a launching pad for him. A setting if you will, for him to launch on discussions of what video games could be like, and might be like, and also to make really funny jokes, If confronted with choosing between raising a relevant critisim of a game and making a really funny joke, i think yatzee would go for the joke, If confronted with making a joke or an observation of gaming in general, i think he would still do the joke and add his after column. I think he's actually quite indispensable to the gaming industry.

fondly,

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
50% isn't enough and 75% is too much. So I'd say I agree 62% of the time.
His views on games I often agree with. His views on life, well, I can't really support "I think Hitler was right."

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
I don't watch them as reviews, I watch them to laugh at an angry man rip the shit out of games.
It's the same with me. I don't take his opinions as fact, but I have been known to take his descriptions of features into consideration. Then again, some of my favorite ZPs are the ones where he attacks games I love.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
You don't watch Yahtzee for proper reviews.
He's more like the AVGN, nit-picking at games, than an actual serious reviewer.

HotShooter

Jun 4, 2009
He's mostly for entertainment but he often does make real, good points. Even if he gives a game I like a poor review I usually have to admit the flaws that he points out in them. However he has made some points that I didn't agree with at all, so I can't always trust him.

Triple G

Sep 12, 2008
Every Idiot knows, that his reviews are no buyers guide(except 4 "Painkiller"), but he lists all the important flaws, and that's important. The entertainment value is also very high, which made me watch this series in the first place.

ddon

Jun 29, 2009
I agree with him most of the time. He brings up good reasons most of the time when he is talking there flaws. The only thing I disagree with him some times are the flaws are not as big to me as to him normally.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
I don't take him seriously as a reviewer, they're more entertaining than anything.

Other than that, though, I share his Valve fanboyism, but I disagree with him on a lot of things being the child of Nintendo, Sonic, and JRPG's I am.

bassdrum

jygabyte!
Oct 6, 2009
All of his points are valid to some degree, I just don't agree that every game sucks as much as he says they do. Granted, I don't think he believes that himself or he wouldn't have a job at a gaming website reviewing games.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I agree with him almost 100% of the time.

However, it doesn't stop me playing and enjoying games he dislikes.. he's a critic. It's his job to critique games, and find the most annoying parts and point them out so that people know the worst of something going into it.

He's never really "wrong", at least how I see it. He just doesn't tend to spend a lot of time on the things that make a game great, but he hits the bullseye on all the bad parts of the game, and he does so in a way that makes me laugh, so more power to him.

God.

I'm sounding like a yahtzee fanboy, someone hit me with a pie.