Poll: Do you automatically respect people in the military?

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
I suppose, but not on say the level of a pedestal.

When I see a person in uniform (which is actually quite a lot since I live near one of the federal government buildings where they do recruiting) I don't think "OMG, a soldier! They're the best person ever!" because I don't know the person. Rather, it's more like "Huh, a soldier. They must have quite a will to make the decision to become one and go through training, cause God knows I wouldn't have the strength to do so." It's not so much that I respect the person who is the soldier, but rather I respect the fact that the person has chosen to become one. I feel like giving a little respect to someone for doing something I could never take on myself, like cops, surgeons, or firefighters.

To reiterate, not necessarily respect for a soldier, since I don't know them, but rather I respect the resolve to become one.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Xan Krieger said:
To put it in short soldiers are ordinary people and I believe they should be treated as such. Here in America people practically worship them and I don't really get it.

I respect them for going through the shit they go through and standing for something I myself could never do.

Simple as that. And now if you'll excuse me I plan on abandoning this thread before it bursts into flames...

Oct 2, 2012
In Search of Username said:
Beffudled Sheep said:
In Search of Username said:
I respect them less, generally. They're hired killers. Why people think that's worthy of respect is beyond me.
Eh some people think its okay for someone to take anothers life as long as its for a good reason (read: a reason they agree with) or if they think the other person is bad and/or as long as they're not the ones that have to do the killing. Just opinions and all that.

Or maybe theres some other reason, probably is. *shrug*
I disagree that there's ever a good reason to take someone's life. Though I'd be less disrespectful towards a soldier who joined up because their country was actually under attack. As it is the western world spends most of its time as the invaders, not the defenders, so I can't see any valid reason for it at all.
And that belief is perfectly valid. I myself don't believe that life has any value and don't have a problem with killing other than it limits the spread of cultures, experiences and lowers the variability in the gene pool (concerning wars and genocides). And pointless slaughter (sociopaths, mass murdering loonies etc.) I am also against because it serves no purpose.

Also I'm not here to argue, just wanted to point out that other people believe differently... Which you no doubt already knew. If it means anything I respect your belief, do not believe that it is wrong in any way (just as valid as mine imo) and respect you for having some ideals.

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
manic_depressive13 said:
DrMegaNutz said:
Shooting them would have gotten us killed, smartass, there were 8 of them and 2 of us that's why we waited. Also, where did I lie?
Right here:

DrMegaNutz said:
Our rules of engagement is ridiculously strict and there were situations in Iraq where we should have shot but didn't because we thought we would have gotten in trouble if we did (we were surrounded by Iraqi Army dudes who had AKs pointed at us and we were like WTF)
First you said that the rules of engagement are "ridiculously strict" and thus you couldn't shoot the Iraqis even though they were threatening you. Then you clarified that your not shooting the Iraqis had nothing to do with the rules of engagement, and everything to do with practicality. I am therefore concluding that you were being deliberately dishonest in your initial post.
OK I gotcha now, my bad. When I said strict ROE, I wasn't referring to the situation with the 8 Iraqi Army guys, I meant as a whole. For instance, when a truck in a convoy I was in got hit by an EFP, the gunner of the vehicle behind him saw a guy running away from the blast site but didn't shoot him because there was no positive ID of the enemy. Was that guy the trigger man? Probably. However, you shoot the wrong guy and your life is basically screwed. My situation was clear: positive ID and hostile conduct. However, it would have been very unwise to fight back. Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Reece Borgars

Feb 10, 2012
i definitely respect soldiers for what they do. these are (on the whole) very brave people who give all their time and sometimes their lives to protect us. granted the iraq war was something we should have been involved in, but thats a question of politics and the military as an organisation - what you're talking about is soldiers as individuals who, regardless of whether they are doing it how you would see fit, are giving their lives to serve their country. Also, where they are posted and what they do there generally isnt left to them.
I get why you say you dont particularly respect them, but i dont agree with you. you have to try and see it from their point of view to comprehend what brave people they are. And whether or not they think they ought to be in a country, they always try and do good while theyre on tour

latiasracer

Jul 7, 2011
I do, it just seems right to respect those that are defending us. Although i'm not terribly sure why our army went on a holiday to the middle east, aside from hoping that America would think we are cool. But then, that's wasn't the soliders decision, more our goverment.

And from what i've heard/seen, we seem to be doing a fairly good job out there, keeping the peace, training native police/army forces.

vasiD

Oct 28, 2012
I knew a soldier, he brought me back stories of squads threatening children and raping women for fun in the countries they occupied.

If anything a uniform demands less respect than it would the typical citizen as to me it says they are not only totally oblivious to the very obvious greed and corruption of our politicians, they are also willing to serve those greedy and corrupt ends. Even if you have a heart of gold and are just doing it for the good of the country (which makes no sense in this era) you're still a violent tool of a corporate dictatorship (because while the 'president' changes every 8 years, the corporate heads and wall street big-wigs haven't, and if you're not aware they're controlling everything... Well, perhaps it's time to wake up?).

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Those who are actually risking their lives for something they believe in? Yeah, that deserves at least some respect. The vast majority of military personell, at least here in Norway, are not amongst those people.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Personally, I think this whole mindset of "people in the military don't deserve automatic respect" is rather ridiculous. You act as though they get fawned over or praised for doing nothing special. Truth is, they don't. That they should be treated as ordinary people goes without saying. They're ordinary people, not supermen, thus I don't treat them as such. Even so, if there are people out there who want to give them special treatment, whatever. That's their business. Maybe that restaurant owner who gives discounts to members of the military has family member overseas. I don't know, but it isn't my place to judge them.

What I will do is let them know they got my respect, because yes, they do deserve it. Military service isn't a walk in the park, and anyone who completes their term of service will get my respect for that alone. That's it. Period. I don't give them anymore special treatment than that. It's the same with anyone who suffers through a shitty life-encompassing job that takes them away from their family indefinitely with the possibility of death or serious injury so that I can go on living my day to day life. Anyone who lives up to that standard, regardless of whether they're associated with the military or not, will have my respect, so it astounds me that so many get butthurt over this incredibly stupid topic so easily.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
sky14kemea said:
Considering I'm currently trying to join the Navy, I wouldn't say I show them tons more respect than I would for anyone else I know.

Having said that, I do admire people who are willing to put their lives on the line, not just for the ones they love, but for complete strangers as well.

I know there are some people that only join the military for power/money/benefits, but that's not always a bad thing either. It's if they want to abuse it.
What branch of the Navy?

I'm planning to sign up for the Royal Marines after university.

Timmey

May 29, 2010
vasiD said:
I knew a soldier, he brought me back stories of squads threatening children and raping women for fun in the countries they occupied.

If anything a uniform demands less respect than it would the typical citizen as to me it says they are not only totally oblivious to the very obvious greed and corruption of our politicians, they are also willing to serve those greedy and corrupt ends. Even if you have a heart of gold and are just doing it for the good of the country (which makes no sense in this era) you're still a violent tool of a corporate dictatorship (because while the 'president' changes every 8 years, the corporate heads and wall street big-wigs haven't, and if you're not aware they're controlling everything... Well, perhaps it's time to wake up?).
Ridiculous thing to say, they deserve no less respect than anyone else, i assume that the 'typical citizen' doesn't serve the big bad 'corporate greed' by buying goods or paying their taxes? To single them out like that is quite simply petty. And whilst you might have known a soldier who brought you back stories like that, many other people know soldiers who have no such thing to say. What squads? What Countries? Where is all this rape and pillage soldiers are committing?

Ludicrous.

corneth

Apr 19, 2011
I automatically show them respect because military service is a pretty serious sacrifice that needs to be shown respect. This doesn't, however, mean that I like them as people or support the wars they fought in, it just means that i show them due respect for their service.

vasiD

Oct 28, 2012
Timmey said:
vasiD said:

Ridiculous thing to say, they deserve no less respect than anyone else, i assume that the 'typical citizen' doesn't serve the big bad 'corporate greed' by buying goods or paying their taxes? To single them out like that is quite simply petty. And whilst you might have known a soldier who brought you back stories like that, many other people know soldiers who have no such thing to say. What squads? What Countries? Where is all this rape and pillage soldiers are committing?

Ludicrous.
To say that people who murder other people at the behest of a questionable government are the same as people who simply quietly submit to that government is ludicrous.

Ludicrous as the thought that my friend would tell me the names of such squads. I can tell you the country was Iraq and that's about it. If you don't believe me that doesn't matter to my point, which is that tools of a corrupt blood thirsty government are generally bad people, if only such by ignorance.

Or perhaps we should just ask the people wrongfully imprisoned in Guantanamo Bay what upstanding citizens the people that water torture them are? How about the people who's homes we bombed fighting false enemies and looking for non-existent WMDs?

This isn't WWII, and at the moment, even if it was, we look a lot more like the Nazi's than the allies (flag colors aside). As such my final question to you is this: Should people have shown the Nazi's the same respect as the average citizen?

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
the clockmaker said:
CpT_x_Killsteal said:
The Taliban are a military force. Just think about that.

OT: Nope. I respect them as people, not soldiers. They go somewhere to fight for for the profit of rich warmongers and weapon manufacturers. There are of course people who believe they're "fighting for freedom" but if you believe that everything you're doing over there involves that and that alone then you're an idiot.

Also, here's another perspective: Soldiers are just mercenaries with a flag.
And didn't you have a thread of your own on this topic, one that you have effectively abandoned.

Sorry for the double post, and on topic, no, someone is not an honorable baddass just by putting on a uniform, but I know that I can trust them more than your average civilian and the level of disdain that the community on this site shows them annoys the hell out of me.
Yeah I did have a thread on it. I just didn't feel like responding to every single post and reply on it.

And it's not disdain, it's just that alot of people on this site aren't fanatics about them.
So you ask a question, walk away when you don't like the answer and then continue to spout the same lines elsewhere.
Don't you think that shows a lack of respect for other people's opinions and, in fact, your own.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
Olrod said:
It depends on why they joined the armed forces to begin with.

If they're a bloodthirsty assbag looking for a reason to kill random strangers, then no.
Bingo. There are many reasons people join the military, and not all of them are noble. Actually, I have yet to meet someone that joined the military out of a sense of honour; most did it because they wanted to work on planes, or it was the better job option (to get out of a country town with no future), or they weren't sure what they wanted their life to be and they'd romanticised it a bit (secure job, not in an office 9-5, instant 'soldier-worship', etc).

Timmey

May 29, 2010
vasiD said:
Timmey said:
vasiD said:

Ludicrous.
To say that people who murder other people at the behest of a questionable government are the same as people who simply quietly submit to that government is ludicrous.

Ludicrous as the thought that my friend would tell me the names of such squads. I can tell you the country was Iraq and that's about it. If you don't believe me that doesn't matter to my point, which is that tools of a corrupt blood thirsty government are generally bad people, if only such by ignorance.

Or perhaps we should just ask the people wrongfully imprisoned in Guantanamo Bay what upstanding citizens the people that water torture them are? How about the people who's homes we bombed fighting false enemies and looking for non-existent WMDs?

This isn't WWII, and at the moment, even if it was, we look a lot more like the Nazi's than the allies (flag colors aside). As such my final question to you is this: Should people have shown the Nazi's the same respect as the average citizen?
Godwin's law in practice ey?

Anyway i am not saying that bad things do not happen in war, but just as it is wrong to stand all soldiers on a pedestal because of the job they do, it is also wrong to judge them all based on the actions of a few.

Again, just as you can tell me a person in iraq with stories of soldiers doing wrong, I can give you stories of soldiers who i know who have told me no such thing 'If you don't believe me that doesn't matter to my point'. The idea that because he has had bad experiences and stories means that we should look down on all soldiers is wrong, simple as.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
I respect them as much as I respect anybody with a physically or mentally demanding job. Provided they aren't a slacker.

Brad Calkins

May 21, 2011
I think one of my citiies local DJs said it best when he said "just because you're in the military, doesn't mean you're not an asshole."

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
The only people who seem to get pissy about people not respecting soldiers are people who aren't soldiers themselves, at least from my experience.

Not once have I met a soldier who was offended that he wasn't getting 'the respect they deserve'.
Ninja'd. Again. "Goes off to hide and cry for a bit"

I don't only automatically respect people in the military, I automatically respect anyone who respects others. That's all I'll say.