Poll: Do you believe humans are apes?

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
Since an ape is any member of Hominoidea (according to Wikipedia), and humans are a member of Hominoidea, I find it impossible to see how anybody could say no (unless they don't actually know what an ape is).

Rainboq said:
Technically, the great apes are classified under Homo-(insert second name here, IE. Erectus, Sapien, etc.) so we're a class unto ourself.
No, the great apes are the family Hominidae, which includes orangoutangs, gorillas, chimpanzees and humans.

So basically, if you answer no, you're wrong.

RMcD94

Nov 25, 2009
I voted yes, because scientifically we are primates.

Also, no one mentioned anything about what we evolved from. Evolution has nothing to do with this. Even if there was no evolution and we were all brought into existence at the same moment, then we'd still be grouped. There would still be a group of feathered egg-laying creatures named birds. It's helpful to categorize similar creatures regardless of background.

pfc_river

Mar 16, 2009
It's not so much a stance on evolution. I think the question is= would we be classified as ape, or in a broader definition of primate. We do fit the criteria of many great apes; what with opposable thumbs, posture, ability to make/use tools. I can't think of any other classification of primate we would fit into. Besides, anybody who doubts the relationship between humans and apes should look at someone get frustrated trying to fix a lawnmower. Within 30 minutes, you will see screeching, cursing, flailing and banging with tools in a crude fashion. It can't be a coincidence that it's so easy for us to imitate apelike behavior.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Well yeah, that is the current classification. Isn't this kind of like asking if the word "purple" refers to the color purple?

ARatherHandsomeGent

Jan 24, 2010
Yes, we are just another type of ape. A somewhat clever type, but still apes (or at the very least descended from a species of ape). Mountains of evidence can prove it.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Wow. British healthcare must be awesome, that cancer patient is so spry!
pfc_river said:
It can't be a coincidence that it's so easy for us to imitate apelike behavior.
Evolution says you're wrong, it can be coincidence. Might as well start saying that bats are a cross between the cetacean and aves because they fly and use eccolocation.
Steelfists said:
Some of us are more graceful and chimpanzee-like.
To complete Planet of the Apes references, this means Americans are the intellectual orangutan.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Julianking93 said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
The Austin said:
No........ Because we are clearly not....
Imagine a gorilla in a tracksuit cap and horrible jewellery.
BEHOLD! Your average Brit.
Brits are fans of track suits?

I thought that was more of a....eastern European thing.
Huh...that's an interesting choice of wardrobe.

Still, I think more of the Czech Republic [http://www.trackies.co.uk/nike/tracksuits/tracksuit2.jpg] when I think of bad tracksuits.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
Yes, but our links to the other great apes are extinct, making it easy for us not to be classified as them.

[small] and if those tran-humanists are right, we won't be for very long[/small]

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Isn't this a mistake that the religious hide behind to denounce evolution?

I.e We aren't apes, but we evolved from them.

If you're asking whether or not I believe in evolution, then of course I do.

Marmooset

Mar 29, 2010
Nautical Honors Society said:
In my opinion humans are just extremely intelligent apes, and science agrees with me, but what do you guys think?
Of course. Because studies have shown that apes often try to trap apes of opposing viewpoints into thinly disguised politico-religious threads (Goodall, 1968).
If it quacks like a duck...

The_Graff

Oct 21, 2009
dude, it is Science! (which always needs a capital S and an exclamation mark). our belief is irrelevant, assuming you are not a gnostic.

The Hairminator

How about no?
Mar 17, 2009
Depends on definition of apes. Biologically I suppose we are closely related to species commonly referred to as "apes", and we are categorized as such.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
It has nothing to do with believing. Fact is, biologically, we're classified as great apes. If you want to argue with that go right ahead, but I wonder whether you'll come up with a classification system better than the one we're using now.
Bullfrog1983 said:
Descendants of Apes... or evolved from apes, but not apes.
We're still primates, that has never changed. Pretty awesome primates.