Poll: Do you believe humans are apes?

Purplefood1

Jun 5, 2010
Can i pont out we didn't evolve from apes, we evolved from their ancestors.

OT: I wouldn't call humans apes but we're pretty close i suppose, close enough

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Skullkid4187 said:
Yes animals use rocks and sticks to further their food searches and eats. But just because animals use tools doesn't mean they can start a spoken language, writing system, and make contributions for the world
Uhhh. How exactly do people contribute to the Earth other than existing and the ramifications of that existence? And is Earth suddenly a person?

quiet_samurai

Apr 24, 2009
Yep there are tons and tons of genotypical and phenotypical traits the we share with apes. We are in fact classified into the Great Ape Family, only our Genus and Species is different.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
There's a huge difference between being an ape and having a common ancestor with one. We are not apes the same way we are not monkeys. We simply had a common ancestor.

Skullkid4187 said:
] Well for starters, if evolution did occur then why aren't all apes human? Our skeletal systems are different, they lack the ability to learn, their hands and feet are very different from ours. Simple facts.
Because we did not evolve as apes. We might be classified as such but instead of evolving from apes we had a common ancestor. This is a big difference. We adapted to our own environment(aka becoming intelligent) whilst they adapted to their own environment.

EDIT: I misunderstood a few things. I thought that by apes people meant chimpanzees and gorillas. This is clearly not the case. So yes, we are apes by definition.

Ambrose von Carstein said:
I'll answer this question by way way of throwing my poop and jumping up and down.
Nice joke.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Dags90 said:
Skullkid4187 said:
Yes animals use rocks and sticks to further their food searches and eats. But just because animals use tools doesn't mean they can start a spoken language, writing system, and make contributions for the world
Uhhh. How exactly do people contribute to the Earth other than existing and the ramifications of that existence? And is Earth suddenly a person?
Earths populations of humans

diasravenguard

Jul 16, 2010
Actually look at chimps they have everything but the writing system and far as "contributions to the world" we hurt the world more than we ever have helped it... Do you mean contibutions to our species? if that's the case they share food just like we do (which means not with enemies or competitors) and unlike us only make a tool when it's needed. They also have war's just like we do albeit on a smaller scale.

Sejs Cube

Jun 16, 2008
Do I believe in divergent evolution wherein we shared a common ancestry with some other proto-apes? Yes. It's not even really an issue of religion vs science, you can have faith in some sort of creator and still be able to accept provable evidence on the topic.

Really it's an issue of ego. Does the idea that you are an arisen form of animal rather than descended from the divine somehow insult you? Because then you're some kind of asshole and need to get over yourself. I'm looking at you, Kirk Cameron.

diasravenguard

Jul 16, 2010
AndyFromMonday said:
There's a huge difference between being an ape and having a common ancestor with one. We are not apes the same way we are not monkeys. We simply had a common ancestor.
They did find a species that fills the link between us hominids and the old world monkeys it's called Saadanius Hijazensis. If you're interested check the BBC for "Fossil links humans and monkeys"

Sep 17, 2009
Marmooset said:
Nautical Honors Society said:
In my opinion humans are just extremely intelligent apes, and science agrees with me, but what do you guys think?
Of course. Because studies have shown that apes often try to trap apes of opposing viewpoints into thinly disguised politico-religious threads (Goodall, 1968).
If it quacks like a duck...
I was just trying to start a conversation that seemed interesting to me, if it doesn't interest you then that's fine too.

I am not trying to "trap" anyone...jeez

Zorg Machine

Jul 28, 2008
Woodsey said:
Isn't this a mistake that the religious hide behind to denounce evolution?

I.e We aren't apes, but we evolved from them.

If you're asking whether or not I believe in evolution, then of course I do.
We belong to the Hominidae family (along with gorillas, chimpanzees and such) also known as the great apes. The Hominidae family is part of the Hominoidea superfamily and the defenition of an ape is to be part of the Hominoidea.
Humans are apes.

sdmblack

Apr 18, 2010
Quote - "Actually we are members of a group of apes known as the 'Great Apes'"

This?

In all seriousness though, I believe we did evolve from apes or share an ancestor with them.

Tolerant Fanboy

Aug 5, 2009
Skullkid4187 said:
Well for starters, if evolution did occur(1) then why aren't all apes human?(2) Our skeletal systems are different,(3) they lack the ability to learn,(4) their hands and feet are very different from ours.(5) Simple facts.(6)
Numbers in parentheses added by me.

1. Evolution not only did occur, but is proceeding as we speak. Much like continental drift, the process is, in most cases, too gradual to perceive, since each gradual step of the process takes, and is, a generation.

2. Despite the popular image, evolution is not a "march of progress" from out of the sea and ever upward into glorious, perfect humanity. It's survival of... well, not necessarily the fittest. More like survival of the adequate. Whatever lived long enough to breed (or undergo mitosis, or bud, or whatever,) must've been doing something right, so its genes are passed onto its offspring. A few base pairs may be repeated, omitted, inserted, or otherwise altered, and this mutation might lead to something that does an even better job of not dying. Repeat this process several billion times or so, and you have the present state of biodiversity.
As for the specific question of why apes aren't human, it's because they don't need to be. The simian body works just fine for what the ape in question needs in its given environment, and it's a stable niche in that environment. It's the same reason all fish haven't moved out of the sea, or all microbes haven't become multicellular: They're fine where they are.
And before you ask, the need for our ancestors to adapt to new circumstances was the Ice Age. As more and more water became locked up in glaciers, the forests of the Serengeti thinned out into grasslands, stranding the hapless austrolopithecenes in unfamiliar territory with nothing but their teeth, their wits, and each other. The rest, as they say is (pre)history.

Seriously, if you can't see how these could have both developed from the same recent starting point, I'm calling willful ignorance. (Note: By "recent starting point," I mean the last common human-ape ancestor, not a creation event dated younger than some pottery shards.)

4. Koko [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koko_(gorilla)], what do you think of this assertion?

5. That apes have hands and feet at all kind of defeats your last point. Look at the variety of extremities in mammals alone. Hooves, paws, flippers, fins, wings, duck feet (oh, platypi...), the list goes on. And, again, this is taxonomical family, not species. No one's demanding indistinguishability. The last common human-chimp ancestor, for example, dates back at least five million years ago. There's going to be a bit of divergence, but not nearly the same degree as between a man and a dog, or that man and a gecko, or that man and a cockroach, and that divergence gradient is precisely what can be seen.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Well, I guess we are.
Fuck it, if we weren't apes, then what the fuck would we be? Ultra apes?
That just sounds silly.

Sep 17, 2009
Tyrannowalefish_Rex said:
But I know there is a lot of argument about wether or not humans are actually apes, because of religious views or what not.
Religion is not science. It has nothing to do with determining species. If there are arguments, they are scientific.
I know religion is not science, but I am sure some religious people would disagree with science and use religious text as their only backing argument.

conflictofinterests

Apr 6, 2010
Scientifically speaking humans are apes. Actually we are members of a group of apes known as the "Great Apes"

[Source] http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-great-apes.htm

But I know there is a lot of argument about wether or not humans are actually apes, because of religious views or what not.

In my opinion humans are just extremely intelligent apes, and science agrees with me, but what do you guys think?

EDIT: Wow, I used the word "apes" quite a lot there.
It's not even really "Do you believe in evolution?" It's "Do you believe in classifying humans the same way you classify animals?" And that's what upsets religious folks the most. If you say that Humans belongs under Domain Eukaria, Kingdom Animalia, Phylum Chordata, Class Mammalia, Order Primates, Family Hominidae, Genus Homo, Species sapiens, right alongside Domain Eukaria, Kingdom Animalia, Phylum Chordata, Class Mammalia, Order Primates, Family Hominidae, Genus Pongo, Species abelii, the Sumatran orangutan, it goes against the teaching that humans are unique, built in the image of the creator, more important and sacred than any other living thing. Such a mindset was outdated the moment evolutionary factors stopped impacting individuals and began impacting societies.

Phenakist

Feb 25, 2009
Perhaps I may be pointing out an answer that has an 'obvious' answer but...

How are there still 'lower apes' after all these millions of years we are supposed to have evolved from?

OT: Yes and no, whilst I agree we could be classed as the same 'family' due to the many similarities, I do not think we evolved from them.