Poll: Do you believe in time travel?

darkfire613

Jun 26, 2009
I think time travel could be possible, but you wouldn't be able to do anything there. Instead, you would be more of an "observer," an invisible ghostlike entity who could watch but not interact. This would explain why we've never met any time travelers, and prevent any and all time paradoxes.

countrysteaksauce

Jul 10, 2008
FarleShadow said:
countrysteaksauce said:
There's also the whole "time is a human construct" thing.
No. It isn't.

For example, for any chemical reaction to go from point A to point B, it needs time.
A good idea to prove this:
Light a candle.
Leave the room.
If the candle has continued to burn after you have left the room, time isn't a human construct, its a physical law. Which it is.
Judging by the lack of coherence in your response, it seems as if this greatly offends you.
I could argue with you, but Leibniz and Kant have already formulated such treatises on the matter.

Wharrgarble

Jun 22, 2010
I don't think it's possible. At least, not in the theory of teleportation. I'd believe returning to the past is impossible, because that's stating that what previously existed is already there. It would mean that the past is still taking place behind us in an infinite loop, because for us to travel backwards, there would have to be something in existence to travel to.

...I have no idea if that made sense.

Traveling forward to the future, however? Perhaps, but it would be a one-way trip. If you manage to travel faster than... well, time, I suppose, that didn't cause you to physically skip any period of time. Instead, you're simply moving across it at an accelerated rate. Everything is still taking place around you, you're just not able to interact with it at our currently established rate.

Like someone said about cryogenics. You can freeze yourself for a thousand years, still be the same age, weight, height, etc when you wake up, but you didn't actually skip what was going on physically. Everything still happened around you.

I guess it just depends on how you define "time travel".

DAJ_

Apr 4, 2010
fedirko7 said:
I think of it like this:
has the past ever changed? No? Then obviously time travel is either impossible or never discovered.
I don't think we'd be aware there was any change made to the past. For all we know the south originally won the civil war, but the events were shifted through the actions of a team of time travelers so that the north actually won.

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
Time Travel might be possible, however it would only be so by traveling through a black hole most likely. Something that humans will NEVER do. Is could be possible, however I doubt we will ever know. All I can say is, I hope I am wrong.

slowpoke999

Sep 17, 2009
If Traveling back in time is possible,it would be impossible to affect your Universes time line.

So all you people saying that if Time Travel was possible,Scientists shouldn't make Humans able to time travel,have nothing to fear,there is literally nothing Scientists can do to affect the timeline they came from(though they can learn stuff they probably shouldn't know)

Of course they can fuck up OTHER people's timelines,but remember it still has to be relative to the present of that timeline.What I'm saying is if it is possible to travel back in time,time travelers could arrive to Earth 100,000 years from the future at this exact time,but they wouldn't be able to travel back to their past or our past.So you can rest your head,no-one is going to go back in time to make Hitler win the war,and if they do,it won't affect you in any way whatsoever.

What you should watch out for however is time travelers arriving at any moment and screwing up any potential future we could have,

Skinny Razor

Mar 9, 2010
Not possible. As several have pointed out here, time travel assumes that you could exist in one dimension independent of the others, i.e. free to move in time but fixed in form. Alternate universes would change nothing, because then the question is, what is the "real" past or future if every possibility exist in some "alternate" universe (and are you still you in another universe)?

Even if you could, that dumbass Butterfly Effect movie didn't go nearly far enough: simply appearing in a different time, however briefly, would alter the time line, for good or ill. Not to mention the danger of time travlling yourself into a tree or up a mammoth's arse.

Spaloooooka

Oct 5, 2010
Leaves a lot of paradox's
--If we had, despite any rules some dick would have come back and proved it to everyone in our time - or been sent to a loony bin.
--Or if they had, they'd have been stopped by an ever recuring time chase on one going back further than the other.
futurama episode where fry is his own uncle..

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
In the sense of time being relative, and things appearing to slow down or speed up whilst, if experienced by a sentient being, they would have a continuous experience of the passing of time as normal, until emerging from the affected area, generally (if not exclusively) being one of incredibly strong gravitational force.

countrysteaksauce

Jul 10, 2008
FarleShadow said:
countrysteaksauce said:
FarleShadow said:
countrysteaksauce said:
No. It isn't.

For example, for any chemical reaction to go from point A to point B, it needs time.
Light a candle.
Leave the room.
If the candle has continued to burn after you have left the room, time isn't a human construct, its a physical law. Which it is.
Judging by the lack of coherence in your response, it seems as if this greatly offends you.
I could argue with you, but Leibniz and Kant have already formulated such treatises on the matter.
Because the great physicists care.
I honestly don't care what you believe, you could believe that gravity is God's way of punishing us for being fat.
philosophers represents the irrelevant, like arguing that God cares about what color or form his praise is cast as. Does someone who had a significant portion of their life formulating their opinion matter? No. Does said guy gain Godhood by stating that one position is wrong and theirs is the only opinion that matters? No.

Ergo, if candles burn while I'm not watching, you are wrong.
I can't believe that someone would argue the 'arrow of time' Steven Hawking version because some 'philosophers' disagree.

Enjoy your F-, idiot.
Whoa, so much for rational discourse. No need for insults. Judging by your rambling and admittedly rather incoherent post, I'm starting to suspect that English isn't your native language. I shall be less harsh in my response as a result. I simply need to know, Do you believe that all of human achievement not based on mathematical proofs and scientific evidence is worthless?

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
I want to, and feel the best method (or at least most unique and paradox avoiding) is that used in Oddesy 5 (the mind is sent through time to a previous, younger version of yourself). It also avoids the following because mass isn't traveling.

As for a physical being traveling through time, it would be very difficult experimentally, I mean, the progression of time is basically the Universes overall decrease in entropy, to travel backwards in time, you'd have to undo every single reaction between the two points, and Heisenburgs uncertainty principly definently does not help with this, but at the same time you need to shield the vessel and it's contents so it doesn't get effected.

I want to believe it to be possible, but, to actually send a physical being backwards through time, it's probably impossible, forwards is more likely, but then, what's the point in that?

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
countrysteaksauce said:
FarleShadow said:
countrysteaksauce said:
FarleShadow said:
countrysteaksauce said:
No. It isn't.

Light a candle.
Leave the room.
Because the great physicists care.
I honestly don't care what you believe, you could believe that gravity is God's way of punishing us for being fat.
philosophers represents the irrelevant, like arguing that God cares about what color or form his praise is cast as. Does someone who had a significant portion of their life formulating their opinion matter? No. Does said guy gain Godhood by stating that one position is wrong and theirs is the only opinion that matters? No.

Ergo, if candles burn while I'm not watching, you are wrong.
I can't believe that someone would argue the 'arrow of time' Steven Hawking version because some 'philosophers' disagree.

Enjoy your F-, idiot.
Whoa, so much for rational discourse. No need for insults. Judging by your rambling and admittedly rather incoherent post, I'm starting to suspect that English isn't your native language. I shall be less harsh in my response as a result. I simply need to know, Do you believe that all of human achievement not based on mathematical proofs and scientific evidence is worthless?
Because your belief that 'philosophers' have better knowledge than a goddamn scientist is considered more 'rational' than blahing about Kant and co. Do we not build on the shoulders of those who come before us? Of course we do, like the first monkey who 'tried the red berries first', we continually build on those ideas/experiences, but we are, for lack of better genetics, still human, and will continue to do stupid things until we advance sufficiently to realise that what we are doing is not helpful, merely stupid.
I highly suspect that you are not some reasoned person, instead you merely exist to troll those who don't think with their rectum.

Amusingly, we also thought the sun orbited the Earth. gg on previous human achievement.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
No. If time travel exists, it has already happened. Or it already has never happened.

Think about that one. PARADOX

EboMan7x

Jul 20, 2009
People far smarter than I have said that it is possible, it makes somewhat sense... so I believe its possible. I don't believe that it has happened. Although I do question what the use of it would be, and how it would effect the universe.