Poll: Do you believe in time travel?

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
Aiden_the-Joker1 said:
Time travel to the future is possible because time travels slower around incredibly large objects in the universe. So we send someone there for 10 years, they come back and say 20 years have passed here.
or you could also just send them in a spaceship at speeds near the speed of light, and time would slow down for them just the same.
gotta love Relativity

Comrade_Beric

Jacobin
May 10, 2010
There is one form of "time travel" that every physicist I've ever met has agreed is possible assuming the premised technologies ever become somehow available. It's silly, but it would work. Oh, and it's also cheating.

What do you have to do? Travel 299,792,458 m/s to the other side of a black hole without going around. Yes, that means basically travelling "through" a black hole at the speed of light. However, the light that is coming at a black hole but is barely "missing" is being bent around the outside edge of the hole, so if you are able to travel from one side of the hole to the other without having to take the long way around that the light is doing, then you will arrive at the other side before your light does. Relative to your beginning point, you just traveled back in time. It's entirely pointless, of course, because you can't influence anything that would happen before you left on your trip, but it is still technically time travel and it wouldn't break any of Einstein's laws to do it.

Aside from this, no. I don't think time travel is actually possible. I leave open the possibility that I could be proven wrong, as any self-respecting man of science would, but given our understanding of the universe, there is just flatly no way to go backwards in time and I don't believe that there ever will be.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Travelling back in time, from my understanding, is impossible, but travelling at a faster rate forwards has already been proven to be possible.

Karhukonna

Nov 3, 2010
I've always thought that if timetravel was possible in the future, someone from the future would've popped by to smear it in our faces. Or just caught peeping Marilyn Monroe or something. Since this hasn't happened, there are several possibilities.

1. It has happened, but no one's been caught.
2. They were caught but they played it off as a misunderstanding.
3. They were wise enough not to travel to the past
4. Timetravel isn't possible.

This is just how I've always rationalized it.

Whitenail

Sep 28, 2010
A part of me wishes time travel could exist, another part of me says that it probably isn't going to (at least in our life-time, however, I've heard cases of negligible "Time travel" occuring to astronauts who spend long periods of time in space stations orbiting the earth).

Still, one thing's always perplexed me and this seems like the thread to bring it up. If any of you have seen that Futurama movie (or series of episodes) which involves the discovery of some kind of time code, concerning the character Lars:

If Lars was in fact Fry considering all the time travel hullabaloo that went on, where did the name "Lars" come from?

PoisonUnagi said:
No, of course it isn't. If you were to time travel to 6:15 AM on the 5th of December, 1926 then at that moment, you would both be there and not be there, creating a paradox similar to dividing by zero.
Why are there such consequences to travelling to that specific date?

Connellanator

Nov 11, 2009
fedirko7 said:
I think of it like this:
has the past ever changed? No? Then obviously time travel is either impossible or never discovered.
The problem is that if time travel has been invented, and something in the past has been changed, then we wouldn't know it.
For example, say (hypothetically) if there were an alternate timeline in which we advanced to a state of supreme technological understanding, but dinosaurs lived alongside us. Someone goes back in time and kills all of the dinosaurs, thus changing their timeline and spawning ours, where there are no dinosaurs. It's a pretty dodgy example, but thats my understanding - if someone at some point in the future has discovered time travel, and they changed something in the past, no one would know what they changed.

OT: I'm not quite sure if time travel would be possible, because scientists would have to figure out how to (like some other guys said) move through both space and time. It's all very complicated.

YouCallMeNighthawk

Mar 8, 2010
Time travel is impossible! Just can't see how we could get anything to work.

On another note, i definetly think if they did do it, i would love one of those watchs from Bernanrds watch! :D

bradley348

Apr 17, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0qDy0T5WXM

disproves it pretty well.

Stephen Hawking tried the same thing IRL

Spoon E11

Oct 27, 2010
in theory Time travel is possible. But it's really complicated and We there are things in the eqation that we dont even know exsist ie worm holes and exoctic matter. Also you wont have seen any because if I were to build a machine today 13th dec 2010 people in the future could only come back in time to this point at the earliest.

Note: I dunno if anyone has ninja'd me

bradley348

Apr 17, 2009
if i invented Time Travel i would certainly go back in time in give it to myself, eliminating the need to research time travel :3

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Time travel = moving body backwards in time : no.
Opening window to past times : yep. By all means.
Opening a portal to ALTERNATE timeline : yes.

Also, around '69 a S-F writter Konrad Fiałkowski invented something called eeeeeeeeee "Claperius fibre" - in short, it was a concept that any travel to past is immediately written into "present". Everything adjust on the fly, noone remembers alternate, or should i say original events.

Kernalgohd

Nov 8, 2010
If it was, we wouldnt exist right now due to paradox, BUT if we found a way to travel to an alternate dimension, and make it seem like time travel, then we could go mess around all we want, paradox free, also since dimensions are limitless, there could be 100% no concequences for your actions. But genuine time travel is impossible.

beeejay

Dec 15, 2009
Travelling forward in time is easy. Backwards in time is debatable, I have been reading a book where it might be possible using wormholes but I'm not convinced and it certainly it is not possible for us to reach that point in the next 10,000 years at least. We might never reach that point.

ookie37

Jul 31, 2009
time is an illusion, lunch time, doubly so. Time is a method of organization not an actual, factual existence. we made time and to travel through it would be impossible because it doesn't actually exist. we pretend it does so we can schedule our lives into a universal sense of organization. sure, things happened before us and will happen after us, but that is simply progression and can never be redone.

Duruznik

Aug 16, 2009
I sure hope it isn't possible. I can't see us having that technology without messing things up. Badly.