Poll: Do you buy cage eggs?

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
I could not care less where my eggs come from. Whatever eggs are the cheapest are the ones I'll be buying

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
If I go to buy eggs, I rarely see battery eggs. I only see free range ones.

Honestly though I don't really care.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
I'm a massive hypocrite in that I buy free range eggs but battery chicken. It's a cost thing. I eat a LOT of chicken and I'm a student, so it's sort of a balance between eating healthily and keeping costs low. I don't eat as many eggs and they cost less anyway, so I do what I can.

When I graduate and have a job I fully intend to go back to free range only though.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
I only buy meat and animal products from farms I know the exact specifications of and think are acceptable, for example, anything with the freedom food endorsement in the UK. I think vegetarianism is pointless, and that there is nothing wrong with eating meat, but if more people eat food from ethical farms, then it will show there is a market for it and people will invest in it.

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
Well, I never buy eggs at all (just because I don't like them, not for any moral reasons), but even if I did I wouldn't bother with free range. It always amazes me how people can get up on their high horse about these sorts of things and still make it so obvious they haven't actually bothered to read Michael Pollan's books, since it's from his work that the contemporary concern with food is derived. Pollan was the author of the book that Food Inc (the documentary which kicked off the current craze) was based on. And if you'd read Pollan's work, you'd realize what a scam "free range" eggs are. The conditions that "free range" chickens are raised under are almost identical to those that caged chickens are raised under.

The requirements for getting the "free range" label by the FDA are such that the chickens only have to be allowed out of the cage for a certain portion of their lives. They grow up in the exact same living conditions, and when they are older they are allowed to roam, but by that time most of the birds are so set in their ways that it is actually very rare that any of them venture out into the yard.

Now, if you're buying your eggs directly from an institution which has been researched like Polyface farms, then yes, you might actually get eggs from chickens which are raised free. But if you're buying "free range" eggs from a grocery store you're just getting ripped off by corporate interests which know that they can take advantage of the public's naivete and feelings of guilt. If you want to avoid buying eggs from chickens raised under abhorrent conditions, your only option is to either not buy eggs or to actually take the time to research who you're buying the eggs from (and don't think that just because you're buying at a farmer's market means you're in the clear, YOU HAVE TO RESEARCH!!!!!!!)

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
Always buy free range organic ones, I mainly use my eggs in cakes and I think they make better cakes and have a nice colour for the occasional fry up

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
Kendarik said:
Powereaver said:
I dont buy cage eggs... i used to get fresh eggs from my sisters hens but now when i buy eggs i buy free range/organic eggs especially from the farmers market.
How do you know that farmer doesn't use cages?
I cant be 100% sure but you know ... id rather trust them then a supermarket supplier sometimes.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Kpt._Rob said:
The conditions that "free range" chickens are raised under are almost identical to those that caged chickens are raised under.
I'd just like to point out that, fortunately, the same is not true outside the US. In the UK, for example, free-range is very much a cage-free thing.

Hell-On-Wheels

Sep 30, 2011
I have 17 chickens running around my farm. They're great for keeping the bugs down.

I get a roughly a dozen eggs every 6 days or so, the bulk goes to my neighbors.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
I'm relatively sure battery farms are actually illegal in Britain? So that answers the question for me I guess.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I don't because of the despicable conditions of batteries. It's not that much more anyway. I've never really taken notice of the taste because my family buys free range as well, but it doesn't really matter.

Blara

Jun 8, 2012
Rastien said:
I honestly don't care.

Sorry but exploiting animals for human gain doesn't bother me : /

I respect your views and choices to eat good eggs, all i ask is you respect my choice not to.
I want to put you in a tiny cage and force you to eat feed with bits of dead human in it and watch you slowly go insane and start self harming. I will then pay jailers to keep you there. Other people may choose not to do this and I respect their views but I hope you respect my choice :)

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
Blara said:
Rastien said:
I honestly don't care.

Sorry but exploiting animals for human gain doesn't bother me : /

I respect your views and choices to eat good eggs, all i ask is you respect my choice not to.
I want to put you in a tiny cage and force you to eat feed with bits of dead human in it and watch you slowly go insane and start self harming. I will then pay jailers to keep you there. Other people may choose not to do this and I respect their views but I hope you respect my choice :)
And what's he gonna provide you for that? Milk, eggs, wool?

Silas13013

Mar 31, 2011
Clearing the Eye said:
I don't buy any animal product. Not because I care about the animals, but because I just don't like any animal derived food. Not that I would go out of my way to hurt an animal or condone their abuse, but so far as food is concerned, circle of life and such. For example, I love my cats and dogs, but have no issue with people farming such animals for food in China. It's not a nice fact of life, but things die and are eaten by others. *shrug*
This world needs more opinions like this one.

Also, what the hell is a 'battery' chicken?

I think it should be apparent by my previous comment that I have never bothered to check.

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
eggs are a luxuary that i can rarely afford so i always buy whats cheapest. if some chickens have to suffer for it so be it

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
I buy the cheap kind. No idea whether or not they is cage or "free range" and to be honest I don't really care one way or the other. They both create equally good cakes and other delicious foods.

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
Cpu46 said:
I buy the cheap kind. No idea whether or not they is cage or "free range" and to be honest I don't really care one way or the other. They both create equally good cakes and other delicious foods.
And I find it pretty sad that people actually believe one kind tastes better than the other.